Golden Rule Fountain Pen

RitaCarbon

Golden Rule Mfg Co Ltd

I have just acquired a beautiful red (old Parker Duo style) Golden Rule pen from Fred Krinke, The Fountain Pen Shop in Monrovia, CA.

Does anyone know anything about the manufacturer of Golden Rule pens? I would appreciate any information.

Thank you,

Rita

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RitaCarbon

• philm

• Johnny Appleseed

• Marsilius

Rita,

I have a large black Golden Rule with a Fount O Ink Nib on it and it has been a while, but I think it also came from Fred via someone that traded it to me. The lever on mine says NY, so it was located there, though that doesn't say much. Did you ask Fred? He might know.

Anyway, I would be curious to know if yours looks anything like this one and what type of nib it has.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/munsonhsr/DSC_0009-9-1.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/munsonhsr/DSC_0001copy-3-1.jpg

I hope someone else can add some additional information, and enjoy the pen.

Phil

Did you ask Fred? He might know.

Anyway, I would be curious to know if yours looks anything like this one and what type of nib it has.

Mine looks like yours, but it's red. The nib is 14K medium semi-flex. I asked Fred to save for me another one with a flex stub. I could not decide which one to choose, and now want to have them both.

Fred showed me some ads from the company, but I did not pay much attention to them. I though I could easily find all info on internet, but it looks like there is not so much information about that company out there.

Thank you for your picture, it's really good.

I am getting in love with my Golden Rule pen... Oh, boy, oh, boy :embarrassed_smile:

I suspect Fred knows a bit about the Company. Please find out anything you can the next time you see him and if he could let you get a copy of the ad...that would be great. I didn't know it came in Red.....that would be really nice.

Phil

Her is some information from Fred from his e-mail that he forwarded to me:

...The pen I sold Rita was a Golden Rule Pen, made in the 1920's in New York City. These are New/Old stock, the only thing I had to do was replace the rubber sac on the inside. They have 14K solid gold Warrented nibs in varying degrees, The pens are made out of Vulcanite (hard rubber) and they are available in both Black with a wave pattern, or red/orange ( like the big red) plain.The pen is about the same size as a Waterman #52.

I sell the pens for $75.00 plus shipping and handling charge of $10.00.

There is currently,no new pen on the market for under $150.00 with a 14K nib.

We accept M/C, VISA, & Discover Cards.

The Fountain Pen Shop is currently closed for vacation, but will re-open August12.

Thank you for your interest,Sincerely,

Fred Krinke

NOW FOR THE BEST IN QUALITY WRITING INSTRUMENTS

Check out our web site

http://www.tmgp.com/cgi-bin/nph-tame/penshop/index.html

Fine Pens from under $10.00 to $750.00 Ball Pens, Roller Ball,Pencils,and Fountain Pens

THE FOUNTAIN PEN SHOP, INC.

2640 So. Myrtle Ave. Unit 12 Monrovia, CA 91016

626)294-9974, Fax (626)294-0576, Order desk 800-4MY-PENS

Rita,

I was the guy annoying you while you bought the Golden Rule at Fred's shop. I have two from Fred: one BCHR flex F and one BHR semi-flex F-M. I believe the company address was on the same street as some other pen manufacturers, to quote Fred "with offices at 135-7 Maiden Lane and a Factory at 153-5 Water Street". Their motto embossed on some of the pens is: "Serves You Write".

I am inordinately fond of mine, and enjoyed vicarious pleasure watching someone buy a red. I chose mine over a batch of contemporary Watermans, because the pen and body were so nice. It was my first vintage pen, and the perfect remedy after a difficult semester teaching.

Welcome to the small Golden Rule club. :thumbup:

Best,

Mars

BTW, You picked a really nice ones, and that stub is great, too! For anyone who is interested, there are more left, including a really nice large BHR.

"fortibus es in ero"

Welcome to the small Golden Rule club. :thumbup:

Best,

Mars

BTW, You picked a really nice ones, and that stub is great, too! For anyone who is interested, there are more left, including a really nice large BHR.

Thanks, Mars!

The more I write with my new Golden Rule, the more I love it. And I am going to get the stub too when Fred fixes my three Parkers - Lady Duo, Vacumatic, and Parkette. I have quite a nice collection of vintage pens, but the Golden Rule rules my heart for now.

I completely understand and share your passion for no-name vintage pens.

Rita

Rita,

I was the guy annoying you while you bought the Golden Rule at Fred's shop. I have two from Fred: one BCHR flex F and one BHR semi-flex F-M. I believe the company address was on the same street as some other pen manufacturers, to quote Fred "with offices at 135-7 Maiden Lane and a Factory at 153-5 Water Street". Their motto embossed on some of the pens is: "Serves You Write".

Maiden Lane was a hub of early pen manufacturing. There are about 40 separate companies with addresses in the first two blocks of Maiden Lane listed in Ron Dutcher's Manhattan Pen Project. Most of these were early (pre-1900) pen makers centered around the first block (addresses 1-100). Nearly all of the old New York penmakers had offices there (Bageley, Aikin Lambert, E.S. Johnson, John Foley, Morton, etc.).

John

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

I believe the company address was on the same street as some other pen manufacturers, to quote Fred "with offices at 135-7 Maiden Lane and a Factory at 153-5 Water Street". Their motto embossed on some of the pens is: "Serves You Write".

Maiden Lane was a hub of early pen manufacturing. There are about 40 separate companies with addresses in the first two blocks of Maiden Lane listed in Ron Dutcher's Manhattan Pen Project. Most of these were early (pre-1900) pen makers centered around the first block (addresses 1-100). Nearly all of the old New York penmakers had offices there (Bageley, Aikin Lambert, E.S. Johnson, John Foley, Morton, etc.).

John

Thanks, John.

That's an interesting fact that never came to my attention. It sounds like Maiden Lane was a capital of the American FP industry in the beginning of the 20th century. I wonder how it was to be there during that time.

Rita

I believe the company address was on the same street as some other pen manufacturers, to quote Fred "with offices at 135-7 Maiden Lane and a Factory at 153-5 Water Street". Their motto embossed on some of the pens is: "Serves You Write".

John

Thanks, John.

That's an interesting fact that never came to my attention. It sounds like Maiden Lane was a capital of the American FP industry in the beginning of the 20th century. I wonder how it was to be there during that time.

Rita

Rita:

I just wanted to thank you for telling us about your new pen. I too, fell in love from your description and the photo of the black pen. I got in touch with Fred Krinke and asked him to hold a RHR for me with a fine nib. He's closed now till the 12 of August. Thank you very much for turning me on to another Flat Top 1920-1930 pen for my quiver. I really appreciate it. Anxiously awaiting the pens arrival, Jim

Rita:

I just wanted to thank you for telling us about your new pen. I too, fell in love from your description and the photo of the black pen. I got in touch with Fred Krinke and asked him to hold a RHR for me with a fine nib. He's closed now till the 12 of August. Thank you very much for turning me on to another Flat Top 1920-1930 pen for my quiver. I really appreciate it. Anxiously awaiting the pens arrival, Jim

Jim,

You will love it! I was literally stunned whe I saw those beauties on display. And oh boy, they write so well.

Congratulation on joining to friends of "Order of The Golden Rule."

Rita

I completely understand and share your passion for no-name vintage pens.

Rita

Same here. I have more than few "no-names" and they are beautiful.

As for the Golden Rule, it appears I need to check into these and maybe/hopefully at to the collection.

Edited by EventHorizon

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"

US science fiction novelist & scholar (1920 - 1992)

There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man--with human flesh.

Frank Herbert, Dune

US science fiction novelist (1920 - 1986)

My Pens on Flikr

• 6 years later...

i just bought a golden rule pen from the fountain pen shop it works incredibly. it is a black with gold trim and gold waterman 14 k flexible nib. i draw with it and so far from the pens i have it is the best

I'm new to fountain pens so this is my first vintage purchase. its a little tricky determine when the ink is low, etc

anybody have any hints or advice?

thanks so much