If MB would produce the 139 again would you buy it ?

goodguy

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zaddick

• meiers

• niksch

• Bryant

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A simple, clean design that rings aesthetically true decades after it was introduced. I'd certainly buy one, especially when contrasted with many/most current MB offerings.

No, I wouldn't buy one.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Just a personal opinion, likely offering a minority view, with absolutely no intention to upset.

Try as I might, I cannot seem to get excited about a buying a MB copy of a MB. I still don't get the 'Hemingway' thing (takes cover to avoid incoming) unsure.gif

We currently have a television advert for a VW Golf, here in Britain, which shows a salesman trying to sell an alternative make of car by using the supposedly convincing line "If you listen carefully, it sounds just like a Golf".

I love my MB 139 because of what it was in its day and what it represented. I love the period from which it came and the fact that I own (for want of a better expression) a genuine piece of history. For me the MB 139 is an iconic pen which remarkably, like all such pens of its time, still does exactly what it was designed to do all those years ago, with genuine style.

You can't imagine how pleased I would be to have the opportunity to 'show off' with a long-rehearsed reply to a stranger enquiring about my Grail Pen, whilst using it.

I can fully appreciate a pen being broadly influenced by some glorious model of the past. Somehow however, I just cant see me saying "If you watch carefully, it writes just like a 139".

If MB would produce the 139 again would you buy it? No. I would put the money towards another 139.

Pavoni

Simply Bravo !!!! 🙏

There can only be one Montblanc 139 ( of course with the variants )

And there can only be one Pavoni

I am so elated with the fact 139 exist.It is not just a pen, it is a precious piece of history, a legacy ( which should not be modified nor attempted to re-create ).

Edited by Viktaurian

I wouldn't buy a 139 because of its size... but I'd buy a 136 or even a 138.

...Provided they came with a nib like those in the original -which it seems it wouldn't happen.

Just make one yourself (or have one made for you in my case) via the frankenpen method...

fpn_1578522051__20190429_154143_resized.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

• 5 months later...

Hell yes. I might buy three of them. One for daily workhorse, one for backup, one for keepsake.

I would look and look and look and agonize over whether I should buy it or not, while I play with my humble little MB232 with telescope piston, which I call it my “baby 139” (please forgive me).

I have one and it is a fantastic pen. However my favourite at the moment is my 126S with EF nib.

Peter