If MB would produce the 139 again would you buy it ?

goodguy

Hi Merclan,

Pelikan never produced a two stages "telescopic" piston, only Montblanc did (although Luxor later made a poor telescopic alternative )

Benefit if their ingenious design being the piston can make a considerably longer stroke allowing a 35% higher ink intake.

Francis

Thanks for the clarification - it really must hold a lot of ink!

Although probably not as much as your own 'Bulkfillers' :)

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zaddick

• meiers

• niksch

• Bryant

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If MB would produce the 139 again would you buy it ?

Hell yeah!

Since this is make-believe.....Howabout a 139 Meisterstuck short barrel window in Black with GFT and

a long barrel window in Platinum Lined with GFT.....Perhaps with vintage nibs as an option.

Fred

What about the green striated celluloid as an option, since we are dreaming.

I would certainly be interested in the platinum celluloid. Brad Torelli has a 139 he made for himself in vintage Plat celluloid but it is a "cold, dead hands" pen as far as I have heard. I, however, bet there is enough money in the world to loosen that grip -just not at my disposal!

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

What about the green striated celluloid as an option, since we are dreaming.

I would certainly be interested in the platinum celluloid. Brad Torelli has a 139 he made for himself in vintage Plat celluloid but it is a "cold, dead hands" pen as far as I have heard. I, however, bet there is enough money in the world to loosen that grip -just not at my disposal!

Green striated.....Hmm....Yes! In a heart beat..and a 146 and 149 too.

Fred

Green striated.....Hmm....Yes! In a heart beat..and a 146 and 149 too.

Fred

Max Schrage made some 146s and at least one 149 from vintage green striated celluloid rods and vintage pen parts from plain black celluloid donor pens. They were stunning and were sold fairly quickly at a premium. The 149 was especially beautiful since the material was so vibrant. I know the 149 belongs to a member here, sadly not me.

Max Schrage made some 146s and at least one 149 from vintage green striated celluloid rods and vintage pen parts from plain black celluloid donor pens. They were stunning and were sold fairly quickly at a premium. The 149 was especially beautiful since the material was so vibrant. I know the 149 belongs to a member here, sadly not me.

Yes. In the right place at the right time.

Fred

I remember seeing that pen, in this forum. Stunning!

Mercantile - your comments are rational, but they also indicate you don't "get it" when it comes to the 139. The pen is special to MB fans, although it might become a lot less so should it be easily available. I don't mean offense, but some of the desire here is just emotional not logical.

This hits the nail on the head.

If the 139 was a new production pen, it would lose a lot of its cache.

It would just be another new pen, available to all, rather than that magic find.

I'd be very surprised to see a twin-telescopic piston.

So, I'm in the 'No' camp. I wouldn't buy a new one.

It's all fantasy, anyway, so if I ever had the funds and the inclination, I'd definitely buy an old one.

Thanks.

Edited by CS388

Thanks for the clarification about the feel of the nibs, I'd missed that before :)

FWIW I've often seen the same comment made about pre-1990s Pelikan nibs - that they are springy and provide a bit of flex along with good haptic feedback about how much one has spread the tines, whereas the modern ones are 'nails' or are at best only 'mushy', and do not offer the same feel as the older ones.

Can anyone tell me if Meisterstück nib units can be unscrewed from the grip section?

They can, but are sealed in they factory so you have to soak them in hot water for a bit first to soften the shellac, and it is easier with the special tool that can be bought online. Once you have removed the nib the first time you can reseal it with silicone grease making later removal much easier.

Yes, in a heartbeat if it is truly made in exactly as how the old 139s were,

1. Celluloid

2. Long ink windows (I know these came with hard rubber parts and i'm okay with that too)

3. Telescopic piston

4. Vintage softer nibs

5. Flat ebonite feed

After looking at all this... and thinking about how unlikely Montblanc will actually do any of this, i'm really much better off looking for the vintage item. But, theoretically, if MB really did make a 139 exactly as how they used to make it, then of course duh yes.

Precious plastic.

Much more desirable than precocious resin

To be honest a 138 or 136 would be OK as well so it would not look like a "Hemingway-look alike".

A slightly thinner but longer shape (compared to the Hemingway) would be fine.

Cheers

Michael

+1 on the longer/thinner. I owned (and sold) a Hemingway; never felt it suited my hand as a great writer. Fabulous to look at but I far prefer the 146 dimensions.

John