• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• troglokev

• hamiltgr

• inkyfingr

• Sailor Kenshin

A late inspiration: I should have thought of doing this for the original article (too late now, I can't edit any more :embarrassed_smile: ).

The diagram (hopefully) explains what I'm on about with the inverted pyramid shape.

post-18691-1217769089_thumb.jpg

(After the second or third photograph, that period was getting pretty large, so I moved the pen a bit)

That is a most helpful [and well-done] illustration of the nib. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I see the lines this fine nib can produce and I'm drooling! I wish I could afford such a pen but no such luck for me! I can't afford a US$300 pen.

m( _ _ )m (– , –) \ (^_^) /

• 3 weeks later...
I see the lines this fine nib can produce and I'm drooling! I wish I could afford such a pen but no such luck for me! I can't afford a US$300 pen.

Try a Platinum 3776 with the UEF (Ultra-Extra Fine) point. Just got one from Ujuku for $62.51 shipped. Very fine and very smooth. I used it to write in the log book at work (cheap composition-notebook type paper) and it did not dig in or even feel scratchy.) And you can invert it to get an even finer line.

Rob G

"Sacred cows make the best hamburger." - Mark Twain

• 2 weeks later...

Two months out from my initial review, I thought I'd give an update.

The pen is still being used for the original purpose, at which it excels. Since I've had the pen, the nib has smoothed out somewhat, and has become very much more friendly to write with on lower quality paper.

Definitely a keeper. :thumbup:

Edited by troglokev

• 6 months later...
I'm glad to hear the Saibi Togi nib is working out for you, Kevin. :) Has the reverse side improved at all, a little more of a wet line? (You had said it was rather dry).

It has, actually. It writes a fine-ish medium on the reverse side. That aspect has definitely improved with time and use.

I'm currently using the Sailor Kiwaguro ink with it, which seems like a good choice for it.

• 7 months later...

If you were to get the Sailor Prof Gear with Saibi Togi nib from John Mottishaw at Nibs.com, you could return it if you don't like it. They have good prices on Sailors.

I have a Saibi Togi Sailor that I got from John and I love it. If you like to write very fine and very small, you might find, as I did, that you won't be satisfied with anything less.

I've had Nakaya fine, xf, and xxf nibs, and haven't found the XF and XXF writing in line with those appellations. I'm actually going to send the pens back to John - the XXF just doesn't seem "right" and the XF I may have dones something to, I don't know, but it isn't putting out ink at all.

I expect the best of service from John, so I'm not worried, but I'm going to send a page of comparison writing along with the pens to clarify.

If you want really, really fine writing, get the Saibi Togi!!!! It is wonderful and you can write with barely touching the paper. :)

Nakaya Piccolo Heki Tamenuri 14K XF

Nakaya Ascending Dragon Heki 14K XXF

Sailor Brown Mosaic 21K Saibi Togi XXF

Sailor Maki-e Koi 21K XF

Pilot Namiki Sterling Silver Crane FP

Bexley Dragon XXF

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

Now I'm curious as to how fine is fine.

My three needle nibs are a cheap manga pen (I think Jetpens sells them), which is a real nail and will pick up fiber from any paper it writes on..

The Sailor Inkpen

And my mother's old restored Esterbrook. Of the three I think the Estie is the finest.

Anyone familiar with these three pens and how they might compare to the Sailor here?

I really ought to do some writing samples and post pics.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

• 3 years later...

Fascinating review and a very useful sketch to help us understand the Saibi Togi. I could only dream to one day own every single Sailor specialty nib and review them. :puddle:

THis is the clearest explanation of the way that the Saibi Togi nibs works. Thank you. I have a Naginata Togi and still don't really understand it as well I would like.

I just received this pen last week and cannot stop writing with it! The relationship of this nib and the pen is quite interesting.

I'm glad I added to my collection.