• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Immoteus

• Cursive Child

• Shona

• HenrysPens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Many thanks for the nice review. The color fits your handwriting very well - this looks really nice!

Did you notice that the ink writes much more blue but dries to a more green shade?

Michael

Thanks! Yes, I've noticed that trait while writing the review. But, for some reason my scanner refused to pick up the subtle green undertone. So I'll have to find someone to adjust the scanned image for me.

Virtute enim ipsa non tam multi praediti esse quam videri volunt.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Contact Information for Japanese Manufacturers

You handwriting is awesome Immoteus. Call me jealous.

Pelikan M800 Black with Green. (F) Army Green

Paradise Pens 5280 Carbon Fiber.(F) DC Supershow Blue

Mont Blanc Meisterstuck 149 (M) Black Cherry

Sailor 1911 F Demonstrator (M) Kiri-Same

Pilot VP Raden (M) Seasons Greetings 06

Pilot VP Yellow (F) Baystate Blue

Ink Count:42

Water test results posted (and try to overlook my poor attempt at calligraphy).

Paper: HP #28

Pen: (Cheap) Sumi Brush

Top: Dry (for the most part)

Middle: 1 Minute Rinse

Bottom: 3 Hour Soak

post-10295-1217949859_thumb.jpg

post-10295-1217949845_thumb.jpg

Edited by Immoteus

Thanks for the review and the test samples.

This is a beautiful ink with lovely shading and very appropriately named. It's definitely on my list.

~ Manisha

"A traveller am I and a navigator, and everyday I discover a new region of my soul." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Do the blue Iroshizuku shades have that same chalkiness seen with other permanent blues like Noodler's Luxury Blue and Namiki Blue?

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

Do the blue Iroshizuku shades have that same chalkiness seen with other permanent blues like Noodler's Luxury Blue and Namiki Blue?

I've never tried Luxury Blue or Namiki Blue, but I don't think any of the blues are chalky. If they appear that way its most likely due to the scanner. In person, the blues come in rich and/or vibrant shades. And for a more accurate colour scan of the Iroshizuku greens and greys, look here. I'll post a calibrated scan of my review at a later time.

These are gorgeous inks! :wub:

I have three - syo-ro, tsuki-yo, and shin-ryoku - and they are stunning sophisticated colors, imo, and not chalky at all. And I'm thrilled to see they are water-resistant, too.

Thanks for the review. I find myself reaching for the pens with these inks often just because they are so beautiful to see laying down a line of color on a bright white paper (in my case, Clairefontaine).

At first I thought myself overly indulgent (in paying the shipping from Japan), but for a color junkie like me, they are totally worth it. Uh, did I mention I like these inks? ;)

"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini

These are gorgeous inks! :wub:

I have three - syo-ro, tsuki-yo, and shin-ryoku - and they are stunning sophisticated colors, imo, and not chalky at all. And I'm thrilled to see they are water-resistant, too.

Thanks for the review. I find myself reaching for the pens with these inks often just because they are so beautiful to see laying down a line of color on a bright white paper (in my case, Clairefontaine).

At first I thought myself overly indulgent (in paying the shipping from Japan), but for a color junkie like me, they are totally worth it. Uh, did I mention I like these inks? ;)

I definitely want the syo-ro and syo-gun.

I'm just waiting for the next release of colors (hopefully autumn shades) to make a big order as a birthday present to myself. :meow:

• 1 month later...

These inks are definitely worth the indulgence; as Tricia says above, the colours are very sophisticated and tone in well together on the page. I have the greens and blue above. What is fascinating about the Ku-Jaku ink is that, as noted above, it does go on blue and then dry to a green, just like the shading in a peacock feather.

Having seen the scan above, I'm wondering about the greys now!

@leoniethomas18

• 4 months later...
These inks are definitely worth the indulgence; as Tricia says above, the colours are very sophisticated and tone in well together on the page. I have the greens and blue above. What is fascinating about the Ku-Jaku ink is that, as noted above, it does go on blue and then dry to a green, just like the shading in a peacock feather.

Having seen the scan above, I'm wondering about the greys now!

I just received the Ku-jaku today. And it is really compelling. Once dry it looks like a ringer for Diamine Steel Blue (which is one of my favorites already). Writing out of my Visconti Opera I have difficulty telling the difference between the two. The Pilot ink goes on a little dryer with the wet nib of the Opera and is a little less prone to smearing.

The shading is really beautiful.

“The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.” ~ Marty Feldman

What is fascinating about the Ku-Jaku ink is that, as noted above, it does go on blue and then dry to a green, just like the shading in a peacock feather.

I just got my bottle of Ku Jaku yesterday and I really like how the color goes on turquoise and turns teal when dry. I like both colors. I like the shading and I like the flow. I was having so much fun with it that I wrote five pages in my journal before I knew it!

If you told me a year ago that I would buy an ink that costs as much as three of my pens put together, I wouldn't have believed you. But this has been so much fun! :bunny01:

This is my first bottle of ink. I've only used cartridges before and I used a syringe to get the Ku Jaku into an empty cartridge. I'm enjoying it a lot, but it does have a faint chemical smell that I'm not sure I like. I also bought a Pilot Petit1 pen that has a distinct chemical smell that I really don't like, so maybe it's that. I bought a J. Herbin Pervenche that arrived at the same time that doesn't seem to have that chemical smell.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, this is one interesting ink. I think I have to put this one on my wishlist. Great review by the way :thumbup:

Unclench your fist and you can grasp the entire world.

• 2 months later...

Is there one of the Iroshizuku inks that remains blue-green like the scan AFTER drying?

Most people seem to say in the thread that it dries to a green. Also in the comparison scan. I would love to buy one of these of it stayed blue-green, looking like the review scan.

Which one, if any? I did look at the comparison scan, and they seem blue or green or blue-back ish...

• 3 weeks later...
What is fascinating about the Ku-Jaku ink is that, as noted above, it does go on blue and then dry to a green, just like the shading in a peacock feather.

I just got my bottle of Ku Jaku yesterday and I really like how the color goes on turquoise and turns teal when dry. I like both colors. I like the shading and I like the flow. I was having so much fun with it that I wrote five pages in my journal before I knew it!

If you told me a year ago that I would buy an ink that costs as much as three of my pens put together, I wouldn't have believed you. But this has been so much fun! :bunny01:

This is my first bottle of ink. I've only used cartridges before and I used a syringe to get the Ku Jaku into an empty cartridge. I'm enjoying it a lot, but it does have a faint chemical smell that I'm not sure I like. I also bought a Pilot Petit1 pen that has a distinct chemical smell that I really don't like, so maybe it's that. I bought a J. Herbin Pervenche that arrived at the same time that doesn't seem to have that chemical smell.

What type of nib and flow does your pen (that produced a turquoise-going-on-teal color) have? I'd buy this ink if it did that on my wet Pelikan M nib.

I balked when a couple of people mentioned that it dries to a Diamine Steel Blue color (hey, I'll buy that instead then :) ! ), which seems more green than blue in the reviews I read.

Now, what would be awesome is of this ink looked green from one angle / in some light and blue from another, like a peacock feather :P