Springy Nibs

zquilts

I have been thinking about what it is I miss about a MB that I used to have and finally realized that it was the springy nib. Any suggestions for a less expensive brand that might have similar spring in the nib?

<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 --><a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.musingcrowdesigns.com'>Musing Crow Designs

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HDoug

• Vicary

• fpfanatic5

• giuli8p

Top Posters In This Topic

I find that 90s vintage Montegrappas have very springy nibs. A lot of Ancoras do, too, though it's a bit of a (Potty Mouth) shoot. Could be springy, could be scratchy...

My Pelikan nib has a bit of spring to it, nothing compared to a semi-flex or flex nib, but has a bit of give to it.

Cross: ATX

Esterbrook: Dollar Pen

Eversharp: Standard Skyline, Demi Skyline

Parker: 2 "51" Aerometrics, "51" Special, "21," Striped Duofold, Reflex

Pelikan: M605

Sailor: Sapporo

Sheaffer: 2 Balances

Waterman: CF, Phileas

I think as far as Pelikans go, the older the better as far as springy nibs. The new Bock nibs are really stiff...

Vicary, do you have steel or gold modern Pelikan nibs? My M605 14k gold nib has more spring to it than any other pen in my signature, besides two flex Skylines and the semi-flex Duofold.

Edited by fpfanatic5

Cross: ATX

Esterbrook: Dollar Pen

Eversharp: Standard Skyline, Demi Skyline

Parker: 2 "51" Aerometrics, "51" Special, "21," Striped Duofold, Reflex

Pelikan: M605

Sailor: Sapporo

Sheaffer: 2 Balances

Waterman: CF, Phileas

The Pelikan M1000 has a very springy nib, I've tried many in F and M and all were quite springy. Not flex mind you but a very good writing feel. You really can't compare the other current production Pelikan to the M1000. The M1000 nib owe its springiness to the very long tines so it is natural springyness!

Another brand not mentionned so far is Omas, my Bologna has some springiness, so does my Milord but that one has been Mottishawed :P

Some Visconti nibs have some spring but you need to try it as I tried Visconti that were nails and others that had some spring.

Good Luck!

Lamy AL-star - 1.1 (Omas Violet)

Nakaya Celluloid Mottishaw F Flex (PR Arabian Rose)

Omas Bologna - M (Noodler's Golden Brown)

Pelikan M620 Grand Place - Binder XF/XXF Flex (Noodler's Navajo Turquoise)

Stipula 22 - 0.9 (Waterman Florida Blue)

Waterman Patrician - M (Waterman Florida Blue)

I think as far as Pelikans go, the older the better as far as springy nibs. The new Bock nibs are really stiff...

Well, not exactly.

Vintage Pelikans nibs are semiflex rather than springy and the broad nibs are stubs, too (400/400NN).

Nearly all of my pre 97 gold nibs are springy nibs (monochrome M400). Some more than others.

But I do have some new M400 and one M605 nibs that are springy, too. Maybe I was lucky but not all of them are stiff.

I would say that the chance to get a springy or even semiflex Pelikan nib is rising with the age of the nib.

Other than this vintage German pens from the 50s/60s are semiflexible and can be amazing writers.

Ehm...what's a springy nib? :embarrassed_smile:

It's a nib that is like a metal spring and is a bit flexible. If it's really flexible, it's called a flex or flexi -- it's a matter of degree and somewhat subjective. The opposite of springy nib or a flexi nib is a stiff nib sometimes called a "nail." That's because it's completely inflexible and resembles that piece of metal a hammer pounds in boards of wood to keep them fastened together.

The tines of a truly flexible nib spread apart when they flex causing the line to widen. Flexi nibs were common in the days when the handwritten line was a pressure induced variation of thick and thin. Very nice, but hard to manage by most writers nowdays. Springy nibs sometimes have this line variation, but often not. Some like the tactile sensation of writing with a springy nib -- the nib acts a bit like a shock absorber. To me, it doesn't matter much.

Hope this answers your question.

Doug

Edited by HDoug

I have to throw my lot in with the Montegrappas which have a very pleasant springy nib, slightly more so than my MBs.

Shyam

My quintessential spring nibs are on my Stipula "Nettuno 'Idra'" and "Nettuno 'Superba.'" But they are LE pens that are today quite expensive and seldom are offered for sale. Still, if you happen on one they are great in my opinion.

Otherwise, as said, a Pel M-1000 or MB 149 whose nibs are large, with long tines and a natural springiness. I also have a couple of Danitrio nibs, also large, that have a friendly, enjoyable spring.

I have been thinking about what it is I miss about a MB that I used to have and finally realized that it was the springy nib. Any suggestions for a less expensive brand that might have similar spring in the nib?

If you want springy plus a degree of flex (which you can use or ignore as you see fit), nothing made today beats the Namiki Falcon or the "soft" nibs in Pilot's various "custom" lines (even the cheapest, the Custom 74, has excellent soft nibs); and all of these are cheaper than Montblancs (many of them look like Montblancs, too). Some Stipulas (especially those with titanium nibs, though I've had bad experiences with these skipping) and Omas have springy nibs too. A wide range of German pens made before, say, 1990, have nibs that are at least springy (and range all the way up to full flex); it's hard to find one that is nail-hard - your Montblanc is just one example of this tendency.

Simon

Ehm...what's a springy nib? :embarrassed_smile:

It's a nib that is like a metal spring and is a bit flexible. If it's really flexible, it's called a flex or flexi -- it's a matter of degree and somewhat subjective. The opposite of springy nib or a flexi nib is a stiff nib sometimes called a "nail." That's because it's completely inflexible and resembles that piece of metal a hammer pounds in boards of wood to keep them fastened together.

The tines of a truly flexible nib spread apart when they flex causing the line to widen. Flexi nibs were common in the days when the handwritten line was a pressure induced variation of thick and thin. Very nice, but hard to manage by most writers nowdays. Springy nibs sometimes have this line variation, but often not. Some like the tactile sensation of writing with a springy nib -- the nib acts a bit like a shock absorber. To me, it doesn't matter much.

Hope this answers your question.

Doug

Perfectly! :thumbup:

I'll toss in my vote for Montegrappa and also Visconti - but the Visconti Opera (Club) line. All my Opera Clubs have spring nibs, one so much that I would call it closer to a semi-flex.

M1000 Pelikans are an abnormality and are springy too.

In rotation:

Pelikan M400 with Pilot Iroshizuku Momiji

Nakaya Kuro-tame Desk Pen with Platinum Blue

Visconti Van Gogh Maxi with Aurora Black

Twitter: @souveran