• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• Vijay

• rahulg

• shubhangam

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Man, these small shops seem to be packed with pens. No respite for the joyful eyes.

A man's real possession is his memory. In nothing else is he rich, in nothing else is he poor.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know any shops in New Delhi which keep pelikan nibs?Please message me if you know of any.

Does anyone know any shops in New Delhi which keep pelikan nibs?Please message me if you know of any.

Tony, I have not seen any shop in India carry and sell only the nibs. Your best bet is to try on ebay, martiniauctions.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I am a Chennai boy (man!) and I have loved shopping in these shops for years! Thanks Hari, for the nice pics.

I am a Chennai boy (man!) and I have loved shopping in these shops for years! Thanks Hari, for the nice pics.

Nandri! Penquin.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Try at William Penn, Select City Mall, Saket

Phone number:01142658384

"It's simple to be happy but difficult to be simple"

• 3 months later...

I just stumbled onto this thread!

Can anyone tell me where I could find some of the more 'exotic' inks in Kolkata? Have managed to only get the regular parker etc. and Lamy inks in the "Just Linc" stores...

Thanks!

You could order Private Reserve and Noodlers ink from William Penn online. Other than that, you might have to visit one of their B&M outlets in other cities – they unfortunately have not opened a store in Calcutta, yet.

http://oi44.tinypic.com/30vg3eo.jpg

Follow at @rg1283 and http://bluecabbage.blogspot.com

You could order Private Reserve and Noodlers ink from William Penn online. Other than that, you might have to visit one of their B&M outlets in other cities – they unfortunately have not opened a store in Calcutta, yet.

William Penn are not carrying Noodlers the last time I checked, has it changed now?, they do carry a subset of the PR range though. Best source for "exotic inks", even for us residing in India is proobably the writing desk in UK, due to VAT discount, the price shipped is quite attractive.

Two bottles of Noodlers spotted at the Saket outlet about a month back, sir.

Thanks, i will check with my local outlet, no mention of noodlers on their website yet. do you remeber what shades they had? best, Hari

Thanks guys... I have a relative living over in Singapore, might have to ask her to bring some inks for me :)

i visited the williampenn outlets at hyderabad and delhi airports ..got private reserve DC electric blue shade...its really dark saturated ink but they neither had noodlers at hyderabad nor at delhi... infact willianpenn delhi airport outlet had Sailor,Caran D'ache,Montblanc inks .and they even dont import trademark private reserve inks shade like American blue or Cosmic cobalt etc..thts bad..

• 1 year later...

Hi,

After seeing this post I rummaged through the N S C Bose Road, Chennai for some beginning-middle range fountain pens from good brands like Pelikan, Sheaffer etc. I was disappointed. This is not the place for such pens. All shops here have a few Parker Pens hanging behind the owner's desk; more as a display of station than for sale. This is primarily due to effective marketing of Parker than anything else.

The exclusive pen shops too did not have much variety, in terms of brand. I visited each shop posted here. Gamma pens were available but I was not in a mood to buy them. The pens looked pretty common place. You really did not have to go to a "bazaar" like this to get them. They had eye droppers and not converters, without exception. The cap screws and grip screws were tight and sticky. I am a bit skeptical about eye dropper mechanism as it can lead to leakage very easily.

Can anyone here tell me how the Gamma pens perform? Especially for daily writing? In particular can anyone comment on the nib smoothness, nib grade, and ink flow?

There is almost no place in Chennai which sells Pelikan. A few high end pen show rooms too don't have them. Makuba and Willaim Penn in Chennai dont have Pelikan. Pensavenue, Mumbai based online store, has only a few models. I found Bhagawati Stationers, Alsa Mall, Egmore to be the only one who said on phone that it has a decent collection of Pelikans beginning from INR 140 to INR 30,000. This store has other pens like Sailor, Sheaffer, Mont Blanc etc too. This is for those of you who want to touch and hold the pen before buying it.

Cheers

Vijay

I found Bhagawati Stationers, Alsa Mall, Egmore to be the only one who said on phone that it has a decent collection of Pelikans beginning from INR 140 to INR 30,000. This store has other pens like Sailor, Sheaffer, Mont Blanc etc too. This is for those of you who want to touch and hold the pen before buying it.

Thanks for sharing. did you visit them then to check out their Pelikan pens? How was the actual stock situation?

• 4 weeks later...

I found Bhagawati Stationers, Alsa Mall, Egmore to be the only one who said on phone that it has a decent collection of Pelikans beginning from INR 140 to INR 30,000. This store has other pens like Sailor, Sheaffer, Mont Blanc etc too. This is for those of you who want to touch and hold the pen before buying it.

Thanks for sharing. did you visit them then to check out their Pelikan pens? How was the actual stock situation?

Bhagawati Stationers had only two models of Pelikans. I wanted to start off with the Classic Seriers which they did not have. They have quite a few Sailor Pens, Monte Verdes, Sheaffers, Watermans, and Lamys. Its a decent enough place with wide range of pens available.

As for NSC Bose road's Gem & Co I would like to revise my opinion about them after visiting them a couple of more times. They say that they can get what any one wants provided one is serious about buying the pen and not just making inquiries. This is sad because its difficult to buy pens for more than INR 500 (~$10) without actually seeing them in your own hand. They dont have stock of the pens but would get it for you if you place an order and give them advance money for it. The owner can suggest models and brands based on your needs and means. Or else one should have one's own findings before choosing the pen.

I particularly went there today to see if he could get my new Lamy Vista Safari write smooth. I bought it from www.lamyindia.com at MRP INR 1690 whereas 2 retailers here sell it at INR 1350. And now Landmark Store even offers its annual 50-70% off on it. Drat!

The owner of the shop rectified the baby bottom of the pen in a giffy with bare hands. Of course he had a good look with his loupe before that. Previously I had sent it to the seller at Mumbai paying Rs 160 ($3) for shipping and they returned it to me saying that it is working just fine. He rebuked me, and by extension all young people, for buying pens online from people who are not technicians but only salespersons. My Lamy writes like a charm now.

I then purchased a fat but light weight ebonite pen from him and got a German made broad nib inserted in it. I liked the wood like look of the pen which has printings on it giving it green marble finish. I dont like the way it smells though. The nib is pretty smooth and has good flex and shows considerable line variation. Costs INR 400 ($7.5).

Super to hear about the good experience at Gem. Customer service is what they are about, look how he repaired your Lamy, maybe free of charge?

Is that fat ebonite pen a Gama? Can you pls share some pictures?

Hari

Yeah it was free of charge. He smirked when I asked him how much I should pay for the repair!

Here are some photos.

Dimensions:

Barrel circumference: 5.0 cm

Length(capped): 14.7 cm

Length(uncapped): 13.4 cm

Length(posted): 17.8 cm

Material: Ebonite

Ink Filling Mechanism: Eye dropper. The shop owner cautioned me that the feed could flood if the barrel runs low on ink. So the barrel should have a lot of ink for a smooth and consistent flow, without flooding. I did not understand how less ink in bareel could cause flooding. Anyone care to explain that?

post-97232-0-59813300-1359799872.jpg

post-97232-0-29416900-1359799889.jpg

post-97232-0-26916300-1359799899.jpg

post-97232-0-54493100-1359799911.jpg

The shop owner cautioned me that the feed could flood if the barrel runs low on ink. So the barrel should have a lot of ink for a smooth and consistent flow, without flooding. I did not understand how less ink in bareel could cause flooding. Anyone care to explain that?

This post might help you understand:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/237785-fit-eyedroppers-with-aerometric-fillers/page__view__findpost__p__2568132

Thanks for sharing the pics. looks nice.