Sheaffer Targa Ambivalence

QM2

http://www.richardspens.com/images/collection/targa_flighter.jpg

[image c. Richard Binder]

The recent "Targa Mania!" article by Don Fluckinger predicts that the Sheaffer Targa, though now under-rated, is destined to become the next big collector's classic. What are your thoughts on that?

Ever since reading this article, I have been thinking about the Targa. Specifically, I have been thinking why it is that I dislike this pen. All the ingredients are there: Sheaffer is my favourite American pen manufacturer, and the Targa model combines the glorious inlaid nib with a flat-top design -- two of the best elements in pendom. Given my tastes, I should be all over this pen, but I am not. In the article, Fluckinger cites the CC filler as a possible factor that turns off collectors, but for me this is not an issue and I happily own other CC pens. So what is it?

After giving it some thought, I realise that, at the visual level, I find that the different elements of the Targa's design do not go together harmoniously and create a sense of dissonance. Although each design element is good on its own, the combination lacks unity and elegance. The inlaid nib looks great on the Imperials, but clashes with the Targa's flat-top design. There seems to be almost a competition between the rhombus shape of the nib, the slim rectangular form of the clip, and blunt sudden stop of the flat-top. The nib also seems too large for the width of the barrel (even on the full-size Targas), as well as somehow "overdressed" for the rest of the pen. On the other hand, the hollowed-out plain-Jane clip looks too "cheap" for the rest of the pen. The combination of all this, at least to me, seems awkward.

Having said all that, I must confess that I've gone and bought a Targa several days ago. It is the model No. 679, "Tulle," pictured below. I collect the Lady Imperials in the tulle pattern, so when I saw this not-so-common Targa, it was my chance to try it. Mr. Savas Ulugtekin gave me a good deal on it, so it seemed destiny that I acquire this pen. Now, the more I look at the images and anticipate its arrival, the more it grows on me -- at least the Tulle version.

http://www.penantique.com/Penantique/Pen/Sheaffer/Vintage_Sheaffer_Pens_1/Sheaffer_Targa_Tulle_Classic_Fountain_Pen/Sheaffer_Targa_Tulle_Classic_Fountain_Pen_2.JPG

So what do you think? Is the Sheaffer Targa destined to become a collector's classic, similar to the fate of the Parker 51?

Share your opinions regarding this pen.

Edited by QM2

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• QM2

• Deirdre

• david i

• CharlieB

They do have their charms...

http://removed.xyz/websitesalespics/pen2501x850.jpg

http://removed.xyz/websitesalespics/pen2498x850.jpg

http://removed.xyz/websitesalespics/pen2217sm.jpg

http://removed.xyz/websitesalespics/pen2220sm.jpg

http://removed.xyz/websitesalespics/pen2217sm.jpg

David, how rare/common would you say the Tulle model is?

Dunno. Have not done much research on Targas. As part of collection purchases, they sometimes just... happen ;)

-d

I've got two bog standard stainless steel Targas, one of which I've had for many years, and they both write superbly. If my only desire as a fountain pen user was to have a pen which wrote perfectly, I'd never need to buy another fountain pen......... I quite fancy one of the snazzier ones though......

Edited by Aysedasi

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

I'm a big Sheaffer fan but always used to dislike the Targa. I think for me, it was the overall aesthetic of the pen that reminded me of the late 70s and early 80s. Now that the fashion from those years seems to be cool again (shudder), it may be that the pen also appeals to people more than before.

I changed my mind after finding a great deal on a black matte targa at an antique store, which I bought only because I love the inlaid nib so much. It grew on me. When I realized the plastic of the nib unit was cracked, Sheaffer replaced it for me (don't know if they would still do that).

A few months ago I got the 676s feather pattern (slim model) at an amazing price on ebay: http://www.sheaffertarga.com/finishes/bras...esandlaque.html. Now, I just need the get the vintage pattern! I am in love with that pattern!

The Targa reminds me too much of a tube with a nib stuck in it.

The "Flat Top" end looks too much like an afterthought and doesn't flow smoothly with the cap.

Add the fact that they are too skinny for my taste and I have never had the desire to own one.

I like the Targa. It's not my favorite pen, but it's a style that appeals to me -- partly because of what it represents. It was conceived as a tribute to Italy's great Targa Florio road race, and the pen's styling was, to an extent, influenced by the styling of cars associated with the race, especially where they had what's known as a Targa Stripe, a broad swathe of bright metal across the roof where the roll bar is. The best known of these, perhaps, is the early Porsche Targa, which looks like this (image linked from Motor Trend Magazine's site):

http://image.motortrend.com/f/classic/features/8559268/c12_0610_03z%201968_912_porsche_targa%20side_view.jpg

There are many collectors who don't like the Parker "51". Some of them dislike it because its nib is tiny and mostly invisible; I consider this a valid aesthetic choice, but it overlooks the technological excellence of the pen. It's the same with the Targa. You may think the Inlaid Nib looks out of place on the straight-lined body, but you can't argue that the Targa is a crappy pen. It's not; it's a superb pen, arguably the best pen Sheaffer has made since the PFM. Another reason I think Don is right is that there are so many colors and finish variations -- and there's also the Slim Targa, with even more finishes. I have only a few Targas, but even in my small sampling there is a tremendous variety:

Targa 1001

http://www.richardspens.com/images/collection/zoomed/targa_1001.jpg

Targa 1001xg, first version

http://www.richardspens.com/images/collection/zoomed/targa_1001xg.jpg

Targa 1007

http://www.richardspens.com/images/collection/zoomed/targa_1007.jpg

Targa 1086

http://www.richardspens.com/images/collection/zoomed/targa_1086.jpg

Targa 675

http://www.richardspens.com/images/collection/zoomed/targa_675.jpg

Targa 1019 (rare)

http://www.richardspens.com/images/collection/zoomed/targa_1019.jpg

Targa 1000s

http://www.richardspens.com/images/collection/zoomed/targa_1000s.jpg

Edited by Richard

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

Heh, I did not know those details about the road race.

Neither did I know that "Inlaid Nib" is a trademarked term. If the trademark is specifically for the Sheaffer nib, then what term is used for nibs such as the Waterman Carene, as well as some of the Pilot & Sailor nibs, which I considered to be "inlaid" as well?

One thing I am curious about now, is what exactly makes the Targa such a good writer, if it is a simple CC pen, with the same nib as many other Sheaffer models? I guess I will find out in a couple of days, when I receive my No. 679 Tulle. It will be interesting to compare it to my Lady Sheaffer Skripsert, which has the exact same pattern and (I believe?) the same inlaid nib.

The No. 1019 model (I believe this is called "Vintage"?), anybody know how much that goes for?..

Edited by QM2

Heh, I did not know those details about the road race.

Neither did I know that "Inlaid Nib" is a trademarked term. If the trademark is specifically for the Sheaffer nib, then what term is used for nibs such as the Waterman Carene, as well as some of the Pilot & Sailor nibs, which I considered to be "inlaid" as well?

One thing I am curious about now, is what exactly makes the Targa such a good writer, if it is a simple CC pen, with the same nib as many other Sheaffer models? I guess I will find out in a couple of days, when I receive my No. 679 Tulle. It will be interesting to compare it to my Lady Sheaffer Skripsert, which has the exact same pattern and (I believe?) the same inlaid nib.

The No. 1019 model (I believe this is called "Vintage"?), anybody know how much that goes for?..

dunno. thnk i have a BP set lying around in that finish, but not a Targa.

d

dunno. thnk i have a BP set lying around in that finish, but not a Targa.

Bleh, ballpoints : ) Can't use those things; I have nerve problems with my hands.

The Medici Diamond (No. 683) is nice as well. Would be wicked cool to have that and the Imperial Sovereign in the same pattern.

http://www.sheaffertarga.com/images/Sheaffer%20Targa%20Pens/Ref%20list%20new/683%20medici%20diamond%20classic%20resized.JPG

Edited by QM2

Hi All,

This topic's title aptly captures my own Targa experience: one also characterized by ambivalence (over time, at least).

When the Targa was introduced - apologies, I know I've mentioned this before - it left me cold. It seemed, as others have said, like a simple tube...lacking emotional appeal and charm. I was not attracted then (and I am only tepidly attracted now) to most all-metal pens. And the boring cartridge/converter system certainly didn't exert a lot of fascination.

Now, decades later, I have come to respect and admire the Targa. Where I once saw starkness, I now see a sort of architectural purity. Instead of being put off by its all-metal construction, I am intrigued by its diversity of finishes. And as for the cartridge/converter system...well, there are hundreds of fearfully expensive pens nowadays that make no apology for that compromise.

I also see in the Targa, looking back, an interesting connection to Sheaffer tradition. The pure flattop styling evokes the classic early Sheaffer profile; and the jewel-like finishes recall Sheaffer's jeweler origins.

I've definitely warmed to the Targa, but that phenomenon is not a matter of aesthetics alone. I've written with (and own) a fair number of Targas, and it is very hard to argue with their superlative writing performance. It's perfectly fair to ask why the Targa should be a better writer than any other cartridge/converter Inlaid Nib-equipped pen; and it's also fair, I think, to answer that there is something about the pen's combination of attributes - nib, length, width, balance, weight, hand-feel - that makes it a very satisfying writer. That is a very personal reaction, of course, and I can well understand why some people respond differently.

Returning to the original post, I can certainly envision an ongoing escalation in collector interest (and prices) among the Targas, with the most uncommon models rising to elevated price strata. In fact, I was more-or-less under the impression that there was general agreement that that escalation has already commenced. Most of the debates I've seen about the "next great Sheaffer collectible" seem to center on slightly later pens like the Connaisseur...another model with excellent collectibility credentials (to my mind, at least).

Anyway...just a few rambling thoughts. I was encouraged to hear that Sheaffer (sorry, BIC) was toying with the notion of reviving the Targa, and somewhat discouraged to hear that that plan may have run off the rails.

Cheers,

Jon

PS QM2, your Lady Sheaffer should have a version of the Triumph nib rather than the Inlaid Nib, so the writing experience will likely be different (although good, I hope, in each case). As for nomenclature: if Sheaffer had trademarked "wraparound nib" instead of "Triumph," we would be searching for alternative ways to describe other conical or semi-conical designs (like the Waterman Liaison, etc.). Because Sheaffer went directly to a descriptive trademark for the Inlaid Nib (such descriptive trademarks are always weaker than "coined" marks, but that's another story), we do have a problem, I reckon, figuring out what to call all those other similar designs.

Edited by Univer

I think the Targa is a cool pen.... and I say that despite the fact that I normally dislike skinny pens. Here's what I like about the Targa:

-- the nib is fantastic;

-- the metalwork is quite good;

-- the pen is quite rugged, making it useful on weekends;

-- the pen closes with a smooth-but-secure feeling that rivals an ST Dupont Orpheo;

-- the range of finishes is huge; and

-- the price (both at the time of manufacture and today) is very reasonable.

There are only two things I dislike about the Targa:

-- the skinny shape; and

-- the squeeze converter.

Edited by CharlieB

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

Targas have been more popular in recent times and it's only natural that there should be some degree of back lash, people who don't like them posting their thoughts. There was a similar thing quite a few years ago about the Parker 51.

For me the Targa is the perfect size. I wonder if any of those who say it's too skinny have the slim version. Or maybe they just like a fatter pen. It's all a matter of taste and how it feels to you.

As for the design, I think it's perfect. Elegant. The inlaid nib is gorgeous. I don't have a feel that it's wrong to have one end flat and the other end (the nib) tapered. I like the heft of the pen, for me, neither too heavy nor too light. When I pull it out of my pocket I don't feel it's ostentatious either, just a very nice looking pen. With all those designs, there's something for everyone. The lelaque finishes are gem like... to me...

I like the idea that there are something over 150 varieties... At all price ranges, from very affordable to 'oh mamma." It gives collectors and endless stock from which to choose.

All of my Targas have written like a dream... plus they hold up well to being stubbed and the like. About 1/3 of my collection has been Binderized.

Of course with all pens. ALL pens that come accross this forum it just depends on what works for you. I've seen pens listed as a person's "Holy Grail" of pens that I wouldn't have in my collection. It's just what does and doesn't work for you.

And finally as for whether the Targas will be the next classic. I think that debate is over. It already is.

Of course, consider the source, me, a die hard Targa fan.

It's all fun...

skyp

I really, really dislike the inlaid nib. I find it almost... unattractive.

Esthetically, I do find some of the styles of the Targa attractive and interesting. But using a skinny pen cramps my hand,

so they're out for me.

John

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

I really, really dislike the inlaid nib. I find it almost... unattractive.

I love the inlaid nib :) but I think the section is too narrow for the body (something that drives me nuts about a lot of "kit pens") and too long, as well. The PFM has a similar inlaid nib, but its section is shorter and there isn't that "dropoff" as you go from barrel to section. Of course, this is all 100% personal choice (the pen is a great writer irregardless of section width or length)... :)

Edited by Maja

Those nibs are not inlaid, they are inset.

The unique feature of Sheaffer's Inlaid Nib (U.S. Patent Nº D188,265 and Nº D188,266) is that it is inseparably bonded to the shell. Sheaffer makes the shell assembly by manufacturing the nib to its finished state, placing it in a mold cavity, and injection molding the shell around it. It's literally impossible to separate the two parts without damage to one or both of them.

The nibs on the Carène and some Pilot, Sailor, Platinum, Montblanc, and other pens, by contrast, are assembled (set) into the shell after it is molded. Some, but not all, of these nibs are attached with an adhesive or sealant; but they can all still be separated from their respective shells. Sheaffer also made an inset nib, the Stylpoint, which appears on various Skripsert models and the Imperial I.

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

I think the Targa is a cool pen.... and I say that despite the fact that I normally dislike skinny pens. Here's what I like about the Targa:

-- the nib is fantastic;

-- the metalwork is quite good;

-- the pen is quite rugged, making it useful on weekends;

-- the pen closes with a smooth-but-secure feeling that rivals an ST Dupont Orpheo;

-- the range of finishes is huge; and

-- the price (both at the time of manufacture and today) is very reasonable.

There are only two things I dislike about the Targa:

-- the skinny shape; and

-- the squeeze converter.

I have replaced the squeeze converter with Sheaffer piston converters in both Targas I own. No problem fitting the converter in.

Nice discussion.

I am glad I hit a nerve with my article.

I think that many collectors felt a lot of the same things about the 51 in the 1970s when they were literally a dime a dozen: Weird nib, too common, inelegant, too modern, couldn't possibly stand up to the Patrician or Duofold, etc.

I think times change.

I think that a new generation growing up on fountain pens will find these in the wild more readily than 51s, Duofolds or the others we found when we first started collecting (Skylines, Vacs, Duofolds, 51s) and if that's your frame of reference, they will be like 51s were to you and me.

Just my opinion--I could be completely off base but that's the great part about discussions like these, they're so subjective and no one can be definitively proven wrong or right until 10-20 years from now.

<font SIZE=3><b>Don Fluckinger

</font size></b>says what's on his

pen-collecting mind

at <a href="http://www.richardspens.com/?page=extrafine.htm">Extra Fine Points</a>.