Pelikan M300 Review

AndyHayes

First Impressions

I had lusted after a green M320 for some time, but the price and worry about having such a small pen was holding me back. Instead I chose the Pelikan M300 in black. Same size, but considerably less cost.

Appearance

This is a very small pen for someone who has pens such as a Pelikan 805, Danitrios Densho and Mikado in his collection. I prefer larger pens s my hands start to get cramp when writing with smaller pens. This will be for very short notes in a notebook rather than extensive letter writing. The black and gold set each other off nicely, although I prefer silver trim on my pens.

Design/Size/Weight

This is the absolute standard Pelikan design for its modern range. Whetehr you have an M200 up to an M1000, they will all look the same as this, only the size will differ. I have included pictures of the pen compared to an M805 so that you can see the vast difference. The pen is as expected light in weight, but still has the feeling of solidity that Pelikan pens have.

Nib

Two tone, just like the rest of its big brothers in the Souveran range. This one is a medium. That's a Pelikan medium. It puts down a nice not overly wet line smoothly with MB black, its current drink.

Filling System

Good old Pelikan piston system. The way that all pens should be made. I can say enough good things about this system. It really is the best system there is in my opinion.

Cost and Value

In the UK these list at £140, but you can pick them up for just over £110. Double for dollars. More than I was willing to pay for a pen that I expect to use very rarely. These often come up on FPN at under £50 second hand. I picked this one up for about £45. It provides good value for money at that price, in fact I wonder how much Pam sells them for when new.

Conclusion

Face it, it's a girl's pen, but for those times when you just want to carry a small pen along with your notebook you could do a lot worse than this pen. With the Pelikan brand you know that what you are getting is a solid little workhorse that should last for years to come.

Pics

Sorry that they are so lousy - better than none at all?

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/shetlink/Pelikan3001.jpg

M300 capped

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/shetlink/Pelikan3002.jpg

M300 uncapped

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/shetlink/Pelikan3004.jpg

M300 and M805 capped

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/shetlink/Pelikan3005.jpg

M300 and M805 uncapped

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/shetlink/Pelikan3006.jpg

M300 and M805 nibs

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AndyHayes

• andyk

• penspouse

• Have Fun

The only reason I bought a M300 once was its availability in the orange transparent material (and now also in the green that you talked about). I think that the material of the M320 series is just drop-dead gorgeous! I had my orange M320 for a year, but then I swapped it for another pen as it just was too small for me despite its beauty. But in my opinion, if you really love the new resins, it's well worth splurging the money.

The only reason I bought a M300 once was its availability in the orange transparent material (and now also in the green that you talked about). I think that the material of the M320 series is just drop-dead gorgeous! I had my orange M320 for a year, but then I swapped it for another pen as it just was too small for me despite its beauty. But in my opinion, if you really love the new resins, it's well worth splurging the money.

I just got an M320 and I already love it. Delicate but sturdy. I ordered it with a fine nib. When inked with Pelikan Brilliant Black, it laid down a stroke that was easily Broad in width. I switched it to Herbin Rouge Bourgogne and it is now acting like a Medium nib. But I have read some opinions here that seem to indicate Pelikan nibs are stamped randomly. Now I am beginning to believe it! A beautiful, tiny pen.

Thank you for the review.

Not a chance I would ever get this pen as its way to small for me but the pen is really cute.

Respect to all

ooof, that IS tiny :( i might pick one up one of these days just to complete my pellies from the M1000 down, but i suspect it'll be way too small for my use. (i just got a nice M650 but i still feel that the M800 is the perfect size for me.)

Check out my blog and my pens

I have the M320 Jade. Very nice pen, was actually my first Pelikan but I'd acquired 3 more before I got to use it. The nib on mine is a medium, but Binder adjusted, and has a very wet and thick flow. I might actually put it at this side of broad. I like it, and I got it for use with a small notebook and my checkbook, but I'm seriously thinking a new nib. We'll see.

Nice review, Andy.

Edited by kiavonne

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

I love my orange M320 I got from Omasfan ;) It's been filled with Noodler's Apache Sunset, and it looks and writes beautifully. I was a bit worried about the width of M nib since I usually use F or EF, but it's very nice width and it's my best writing Pel. For some reason it writes finer than my M400 EF :blink:

Thanks for the review! I thoroughly enjoy my 3 M300s (black, orange, green striated). I like to carry all three in their "300 case" (I found one online at Swisher Pens a year or so ago). Small case can be carried in a pocket, and easily retrieved for writing (I'm a copious note taker--like different colors for organizing thoughts). M300 nibs are wetter writers (in my experience), which I also like.

Guns, Gams, and Gumshoes: http://writingpis.wordpress.com/

Colleen Collins Books http://colleencollinsbooks.com/

thanx for the review andy.

i have but one pelikan, the m150... i agree with goodguy, too small, but i use it regularly and fits perfectly in my dress shirt pocket, plus it's really light! on the other hand... i like your m805!!!!! :thumbup:

Hi,

Nice review, once thought about buying one of these for my wife but bidding on ebay went too high (that sounds awful, she is of course worth every penny of what I might have paid, but she wouldn't have wanted to use it) she was until recently using an M150 or an M200 (occasionally a CS Dinkie), but recently took a liking to my Duofold International Mosaic and is currently using that.

Too be honest Andy not sure what surprised me most, you having a pen this small, or the fact that it hasn't got a big fat nib, but as you say you needed something small to carry around.

Andy

Thanks for the review. I am currently longing for a 300 at the right price. I thrive on small pens. I have become a Pelikan addict with not enough funds to support the habit. I just purchased a tortoise 400NN for my hubby and a blue stripe 400 for me. (I don't want to go any bigger, but all the colors wouldn't hurt.)

Soli Deo Gloria

Shameless plug - Some of my amateur photography.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that the M300 had a slimmer barrel diameter compared to the M200

If used posted I think this would suit my hand better than the M200 so on that basis I was considering it

Nib sizes Limited to F M B like the M200 but is there a huge difference in the nib types between the Duo colour to the standard M200 nibs?

Yes the 300 barrel is slimmer. The duo coloured nibs are gold/rhodium and I enjoy those nibs better than steel ones. They are available in F, M & B on the 3xx pens.

There are many that say that steel nibs are as good as gold ones, but this has not been my experience.

• 7 months later...

wherever can one get this pen for 45£???

The cheapest I saw for a used one was still over 100$ and in germany, the original pelikan place, the msrp is at least 210Euros so usually around 175Euros online for a new one for any colour (even the 320).

Are they wetter writers than the m150s??

Wish list: Aurora Optima

Current inked Pens: Pilot Decimo - Noodlers BBH, MB Mozart - MB Lavender

Pelikan M150 - Noodlers Kung te Cheng

And BB also. Not that you'd get much 'mileage'.

Yes the 300 barrel is slimmer. The duo coloured nibs are gold/rhodium and I enjoy those nibs better than steel ones. They are available in F, M & B on the 3xx pens.

There are many that say that steel nibs are as good as gold ones, but this has not been my experience.

Looking for:
Mid-century and modernist Pelikans & MBs