Hero 616 feed problem

So, I filled my Hero 616 with Noodlers Black, and it worked for about a week. Then, it stopped. I soaked it for a total of 3 nights, trying it after each night. After I finally looked at the nib closely, here is what I found out had happened:

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk207/nkk2008/DSC02579.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk207/nkk2008/DSC02580.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk207/nkk2008/DSC02581.jpg

Can anyone tell me if this is a defect, or if it is probably cuased by the Noodlers? I am waiting for some confirmation before I put Noodlers in another 616.

Thanks,

Nkk

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nkk

• psfred

• Daosus

• Dillo

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, that looks bad!... see if, first taking the barrel off the section, then hold the metal filling reservoir with one hand and the section with the other and turn/screw clock wise. it might be loose or screwed wrong. or does the feed appear broken?

ink won't cause that!!!!

Edited by lovemy51

I'd guess a defect.

Do you still have your cap around by any chance?

I do. Are you perhaps looking for one? ;) PM me if yes.

I will try rotating it. I was wondering if the ink had done something similar to what BSB has been reported as doing to Safaris.

Oh well.

-Nkk

Yikes....after having tuned a number of pens, I can say with a fair degree of confidence that you have a lost cause on your hands.

Dip the hood up to the little window in very hot water until you can unscrew it from the rest of the body. It's essentially identical to a Parker "51" inside. You will need to pull the nib and feed out of the collector, then push them back in in the correct orientation, then seal the hood back on with some shellac.

You also need to find out why the feed got rotated like that -- is there something in the cap? Or was it like that originally (Hero quality control for those pens isn't good, they are very inexpensive!).

Noodler's had nothing to do with the feed being rotated. Might be something in the cap, though, if you are turning the cap instead of just pulling it straight off.

Peter

further the parts have to be in line before shellacing, you have to try it a time or two befoe you get them right so the shell lines right with the nib.

Check out the Parker '51' repair information for instructions.

good luck

YMMV

Um, I totally disassemble my pen on a regular basis. You can just pull the feed out and stick it back in without any glue. Heck, if you shellac it in, you'll have to go through some fuss if you DO have trouble.

Ok, so I got the hood part off, but I cannot get the feed to rotate. Here are some pictures:

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk207/nkk2008/DSC02586.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk207/nkk2008/DSC02587.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk207/nkk2008/DSC02592.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk207/nkk2008/DSC02593.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk207/nkk2008/DSC02595.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk207/nkk2008/DSC02596.jpg

Any suggestions?

-Nkk

Edited by nkk

Well, you could try grabbing the feed and pulling it out. You'll grab the breather tube too. If it doesn't come out, I wouldn't force it (and I'm out of ideas at that point).

The nib and feed are a press fit into the collector. They just pull out, although the feed is sometimes rather tight. The collector is a press fit into the "section" where the hood screws on, too, but if you can avoid taking it out, you won't have to deal with getting the nib in exactly right.

You should be able to just grab the feed with your fingers and pull it out. Put it back in with the slanted side away from the top of the nib, and if there is a slit in the feed, line it up with the slit in the nib, even if that makes the feed look crooked.

If you cannot get it out, pull the nib out and try again, if that doesn't work, pull the collector out of the "section" carefully ( the plastic is brittle and can break) and push it out from behind.

Put the nib and feed back into the collector in the correct orientation (nib slit centered in the large slot in the collector and feed slit lined up with the slit in the nib) and then put the collector back into the section. Try to get it exactly where it was. Screw the hood back on gently and see it it lines up with the nib. If not, unscrew it and turn the collector (not just the feed and nib) and screw the hood back on and see if it's lined up. If not, unscrew the hood and turn the collector some more. You want the point of the hood to be just a tiny bit less that perfectly lined up with the nib, as when you put the shellac on the threads it will turn just a bit further. When it's right, apply a SMALL amount of shellac to the threads ONLY, none AT ALL on the collector, and screw the hood on. It needs to be seated, but don't reef down on it, the shellac will seal the threads quite well.

You may want to clean the nib and feed while you have them out to make sure there isn't dried out ink clogging things up.

Never use drawing or India ink in fountain pens, by the way -- they dry to water insoluble gum and can permanently clog and pen.

Peter

Hi,

If you can't get it aligned, let me know. I've taken apart a lot of 616 pens.

I very sure it's no problem for me to fix up properly.

Try first pulling the nib and feed, then aligning them and pushing them back in. Then after that put the collector, nib, and feed assembly in the clear plastic collar. Screw the hood on an then note the orientation of the hood to the nib. Unscrew the hood and turn the collector, nib, and feed assembly in the collar, then screw the hood back on and check the orientation again. Finally, when you get the orientation correct, put some shellac on the threads of the clear plastic collar and screw the hood on. Let it sit for about a half hour and you are all set.

I do hope you can get it aligned. Good luck!

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Hi,

I also have some hood nib pens same as you. You can try to pull out the nib and feed then align both parts then push back. This is easy to repair.

If you really not success to repair, you can bid an other from ebay. I just bid some Chinese pen from ebay seller waimar. He has sell Chinese pen and good service.

JoJo :bunny01:

All the advice you've been given so far is good.

I have found on one 616, that when I screwed up the hood, either the nib or he feed rotated. To cure that I filed a little bit of moulding flash off the inside of the hood which was catching & gently bent the feed towards the nib (when out of the pen). That jammed the two together to stop the rotation. It worked quite well.

Regards

Richard.