A Grip Which Uses No Energy

Renzhe

Wow, you are right! It does feel more relaxed that way. I just have to practice now to increase my control. Thanks!

:thumbup:

Please consider using the grip I introduce below.

A common way to hold a pen is with the thumb, index finger, and the last knuckle of the middle finger approximately the same distance from the tip, like this:

http://i36.tinypic.com/n6b2w4.jpg

I find that this grip is not the most relaxed position. Allow me to elaborate.

After playing the piano for 30 minutes, I let my right hand hang at my side, using no energy. Here is my hand at its most relaxed state:

http://i38.tinypic.com/2l8jdrr.jpghttp://i34.tinypic.com/klvo7.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/2cig0eb.jpg

Notice that when I use no energy, the fingers are naturally curved, and the tip of the thumb is relatively far from the tip of the index finger.

If I put my right hand on a surface it falls into this shape:

http://i36.tinypic.com/20jnzh1.jpg

If I put a pen in it, my right hand naturally holds the pen with this grip:

http://i35.tinypic.com/281uhko.jpg

I feel that this grip puts the hand in a position closest to the most relaxed state. I can maintain this grip using no energy. The difference between this grip and the common grip is that in this grip, the thumb is placed farther away from the tip. Extending the thumb to where the common grip places it requires energy, and therefore does not yield the most relaxed grip.

Another thing one may try is simulating a longer nib by gripping higher with one's whole hand, like this:

http://i35.tinypic.com/28rfkmu.jpg

This allows one to use less movement to write characters, and also lowers the writing angle.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MsLoathsome

• fixedintime

• piplup

• ZeissIkon

My dad taught me to hold my pens higher up, and in the manner that is shown in Renzhe's last photo.

• 1 year later...

Glad I found this post as I figured this out with my lamy.. Which I'll apply to my new to me 52 :) I find it so comfortable unless I'm taking an exam, then all composure is broken down and the death grip is used.

• 2 weeks later...

Since there are different nerves and muscle groups which control the 'fine tuning' fingers (thumb, first and second finger) there will be a noticeable difference between writing with your hand or your arm. Very broad, fast strokes will be easier than small, controlled cursive writing with the larger muscles. We get our finest control from our 'fine tuning' fingers, though.

As a result, fine, level writing gives me writer's cramp over time. I have come to a happy medium but I can sure tell how long I have been writing by looking at the text later on. It's progressive creativity to some artists, but I would like more control.

How we hold our writing implements is a very interesting study to me.

-William-

I followed the thread MsLoathsome linked and like Russ, I let the pen lay into the webbing between thumb and index finger and close the grip around the fountain pen.

Using that hold, the middle finger supports most of the pen's weight, hence the callus that most long time fountain pen users, sport.

Because it is so comfortable, I tried that hold with pencils and ballpoints.

The only ballpoint which supports that grip is the Safari's, the angle has to be a bit steeper which makes holding the ballpoint for long periods of time tiring.

Pencils can be held in this manner if they are fitted with "The Pencil Grip" which I find invaluable.

In order to get a really comfortable hold with fountain pens their length and girth of the pen need to be closely matched with finger length and webbing girth.

As an example, for me most Esterbrooks are too short but the Pelikan 500 series is too wide.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Thanks for the post. I just tried it and found that vertical movements are more difficult for me with my hand in this "natural" position. Perhaps I just need to spend some time getting used to it.

• 4 years later...

a do nothing post ... nothing more than to simply "mark" this thread. I want to return to read it in full as I'm interesting in improved ways to hold the pen ...