Hello from Atlanta

redwings

In a nutshell, what started a few years ago as a curiosity has become a bit more than that.

Started using fountain pens in Catholic grammar school in the early 60's...the cheap Schaffer cartridge type were required for the Palmer method, Whatever possesed those poor nuns to believe that whacking your knuckles with a ruler would improve your penmanship is beyond me!

Picked up the habit again in college...the station manager/professor who ran our FM station used them, so i dug out one of those old Shaeffer's and had at it. My "jones" didn't really kick in until my ex, who was running her own small ad agency, had me writing copy for newsletters 5 nights a week (on an old 8086 PC...that'll tell you how long ago that was...) and gave me a Mont Blanc Meisterstuck for Christmas one year. She's long gone (her idea...) but the pen's still here.

My Mom is an inveterate antiquer and, when she got wind of the interest, started looking through all the junque stores in CA and the occasional estate sale she'd help run. A collection was being born.

Today, the collection runs to about 75 pens, ranging from cheap advertising pens for funeral homes from the 30's to a prized 1923 Sheaffer Lifetime (the first one irestored w/ new sac...) Have also managed to bust a couple in the repair process. Oh, well...gotta learn somehow!

Day-to-day pen changes frequently. Right now, it's a Waterman Expert Millenium, a 90's Duofold Centennial and a nearly indestructible Parker 25. Newest acquisition is a 50s-60s Waterman CF that i'm seeking a part or 2 for.

That'sa my fountain pen story...hopefully with many more chapters to be "written".

And, if anyone can solve this equation - "Methadone:Heroin as ___X___:ebay", well, i'd like to know what "X" is... B)

Mark (Redwings)

Mark

Mark

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• southpaw

• emrecan

• chainwhip

• redwings

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Mark! Sounds like you're already have a good sized collection going.

Geaux Tigers! Visça el Barça!

WTB: MB Kafka, Lamy Safari 2009 Orange, Pilot MYU (Black or Clear/White Stripe), Seiko FrankenTuna SKZ253 / SKZ255

Hello Mark and welcome to the FPNuthouse! It does indeed sound like you're off to a great start on your collection. Perhaps one day you'll shed some more light on what's in your collection and even share a few pics with us. Enjoy and see you around!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Hi mark,

Welcome to the FPN society :D Martin says FPNut House I call it FPN society :lol: Whatever,have a seat and enjoy yourself!!!

Take Care,

Emrecan

Greetings from İstanbul

the pen is in my avatar is LAMY Studio Palladium 14K

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Welcome!!

Nice that people pick up the fountain pens again!

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon