The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Tibaldi Modello 50 - oro-blu

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 youstruckgold

youstruckgold

Aspiring Omastery

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2008 - 12:38

It's finally arrived and for once, the photo is an underestimation of just how beautiful the celluloid is.

I am not the officianado that some of our reviewers are, so I can't tell you with any degree of expertise about what is good or not, but I can tell you what I experienced, so here goes.

FIRST IMPRESSION
Wow! The celluloid is simply beautiful, and wonderfully sets off the gold rings around the cap, at the top of the cap, on the clip and on the base of the barrel. The celluloid is very fine, almost translucent. If you hold the cap up to a light, you can see the shadow of your hand right through it.

APPEARANCE/FINISH
No surprise for my score here: 5/5.
The pen has etched into it "Tibaldi Modello 50" along the barrel and "1996" just under the thread for the cap. All quite thin and subtle, and, did I already say this?, beautiful.

DESIGN/SIZE/WEIGHT
4/5
I already wrote that the celluloid is thin, so yes, it is a light pen, but still a good weight for writing.
The pen is 4 3/4 inches (12cm) long (uncapped), roughly 6" long with the cap sitting on the base of the barrel (about 15cm) and just under 5 1/2 inches (14cm) with the cap covering the nib. While I have a preference for larger pens, this size is large enough, and fits beautifully in my hand.

NIB/FILLING AND WRITING
5/5
THe pen is a piston filler, my preference; and filling seemed easy (although turning the piston was a bit stiff and I was a bit confused about which way to turn it). (for those of you with a thing for ink, I filled it with Waterman Florida Blue, haven't really had a thing for ink, but someone on FPN suggested this, so I'm giving it a try). I've been writing with the pen for a while and the first fill is still happening so capacity is clearly large.

The nib is marked with Tibaldi Extra 750, and marked as F (fine). For all this, it is a fairly wet writer, but closer to medium (I would like it a little finer). Nevertheless, writing is smooth and flawless and makes this reviewer want to rush out and buy better paper!

COST
5/5
On ebay, this was a $200 pen. For the joy it has brought me, definitely value for money.

CONCLUSION
A beautiful, smooth, unusual pen that leaves a smile after every line!

The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher - Thomas Huxley
Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#2 goodguy

goodguy

Fountain pens and watches collector

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2008 - 14:44

What a cute and adorable pen.
thank you for the review but I am a bit dissapointed from the one very small picture.
Any chance to get few more bigger pictures ? so we can all drool on it ?
Respect to all

#3 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2008 - 19:48

nice pen, enjoy yours wink.gif
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#4 youstruckgold

youstruckgold

Aspiring Omastery

• Member - Gold

• 1,493 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2008 - 06:40

QUOTE (goodguy @ Jul 23 2008, 12:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What a cute and adorable pen.
thank you for the review but I am a bit dissapointed from the one very small picture.
Any chance to get few more bigger pictures ? so we can all drool on it ?

I'll see what I can do.
The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher - Thomas Huxley
Posted Image

#5 Deirdre

Deirdre

Stipula Ventidue Ti Nib Adoption Agency

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,122 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 07:28

I have a Modello 60 in the same celluloid, that'll do goodguy for a day or so:

deirdre.net
"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

#6 youstruckgold

youstruckgold

Aspiring Omastery

• Member - Gold

• 1,493 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2008 - 12:18

thankyou. cranking up the digital tomorrow.

Edited by youstruckgold, 23 July 2008 - 22:20.

Posted Image

#7 goodguy

goodguy

• Member - Gold

• 8,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2008 - 12:47

QUOTE (Deirdre @ Jul 23 2008, 08:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a Modello 60 in the same celluloid, that'll do goodguy for a day or so:

Yes this is a really pertty pen but I want more pictures cloud9.gif
Please blush.gif

This pen reminds me a bit my Parker Stripped Duofold.The same basic design,lines going up and down along the pen with a blind cap at the bottom.

Edited by goodguy, 23 July 2008 - 12:49.

Respect to all

#8 omasfan

omasfan

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 16:22

I own a Modello 60, too. I only wished they had placed more emphasis on cutting the end piece of the filler know a bit more in sync with the pattern. I've never seen one single Modello where those matched.

#9 youstruckgold

youstruckgold

Aspiring Omastery

• Member - Gold

• 1,493 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2008 - 22:21

Ok.

Such as they are, here are the pics.

http://s278.photobuc.../youstruckgold/
Posted Image

#10 goodguy

goodguy

• Member - Gold

• 8,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2008 - 22:47

QUOTE (youstruckgold @ Jul 23 2008, 10:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok.

Such as they are, here are the pics.

http://s278.photobuc.../youstruckgold/

Beautiful pictures.
Now when seeing the pen better I can state that this looks to me really like a modern interepertation of the beautiful stripped Duofold.This pen has a gorgeous vintage like look to it.
Respect to all

Sponsored Content

|