#101 CatBookMom

CatBookMom

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2011 - 22:19

As Salman (smk) noted in his kind review of my latest efforts (Post #93), the round-nib hand (Lamy M nib) is looking much better than the italic nib effort. The italic was written with a Parker Duofold with a CI nib. I'm noticing that this is an ongoing difference, and I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions as to how to eliminate the problem.

The finer cursive-italic nibs I have, the Duofold (< 1.0mm) and my ArtPen 1.1mm and Pelikan Script 1.0mm, all seem to be less effective than when I write with a plain nib or with my Script 1.5mm. The text I write isn't as good a hand, even though I try to hold the smaller nib at the same sort of angle to the page as I would the larger ones.

I feel as if I'm not explaining my question very well, but I hope that some of you more-experienced cursive-italic writers can offer some suggestions.

#102 CatBookMom

CatBookMom

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,027 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2011 - 22:21

sorry; hit enter twice.. :embarrassed_smile:

Edited by CatBookMom, 23 March 2011 - 22:21.

#103 smk

smk

Antique

• FPN Tech. Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2011 - 18:52

CatBookMom - I think I understand your question. I believe I had a similar 'issue'.

What I found was that when I wrote slowly, or with broader nibs, I was closer to the ideal 5-7 degree slant (from vertical) recommended for italic. When I wrote quicker, or with narrower nibs, my slant increased and I lost most of the italic-ness of the script.

Compare the script you wrote with the 1.5mm nib to the narrow nibs' results and see if the one you like is more upright. Also, try writing a little more upright with the narrower nibs and see if you like the results.

Regards,
Salman

Edited by smk, 24 March 2011 - 18:53.

I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

My Blog :: Instagram

#104 Brianetta

Brianetta

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2011 - 00:39

I joined here about four years ago, asking if anybody could identify the pen I'd just inherited. Now, having been inspired by members of this forum, my handwriting has actually improved somewhat. It wasn't something I'd really thought about before I came here. I work in IT; I don't need to use paper and pens!

Posted Image
GPG key / fingerprint: 082CF3ED
E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED

#105 CatBookMom

CatBookMom

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,027 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:17

I joined here about four years ago, asking if anybody could identify the pen I'd just inherited. Now, having been inspired by members of this forum, my handwriting has actually improved somewhat. It wasn't something I'd really thought about before I came here. I work in IT; I don't need to use paper and pens!

Posted Image

That's a big improvement in legibility, especially if you've maintained it for such a time! Well done!

#106 patrickfp

patrickfp

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:41

Posted Image

I find your handwriting to be very nice actually. Very personalised and beautiful. Keep up the good work. This is one of the reasons why I prefer italic handwriting. Before, my handwriting on each page or even between paragraphs would be very different. Now, I can keep my handwriting consistent over many pages. Sure, the handwriting on each page will not be identical, but they will not be very very different either.

#107 bigmac53

bigmac53

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2011 - 14:25

Here is my example. I beleive I have a lot of work to do, but I really enjoy practicing and seeing my writing progress. As I said, it's been years since I have written in script, and it's only been about two weeks since I started practicing again. Let me know what you think, and what I should concentrate on. Thanks guys!

Attached File  JM HW.pdf   109.55KB   186 downloads

Edited by bigmac53, 08 April 2011 - 14:27.

MB 149 - MB 220 - Pelikan M250 - Parker 51 - Parker Urban - Hero 616

#108 CatBookMom

CatBookMom

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,027 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2011 - 20:06

Here is my example. I beleive I have a lot of work to do, but I really enjoy practicing and seeing my writing progress. As I said, it's been years since I have written in script, and it's only been about two weeks since I started practicing again. Let me know what you think, and what I should concentrate on. Thanks guys!

Attached File  JM HW.pdf   109.55KB   186 downloads

Your present sample is quite legible and the spaces between words is generally regular; based on my own experience of handwriting practice, some more time will give you a more consistent slant, which to my eye is the most irregular part of your hand. Plus like you, I enjoy the practice time; I find it rather soothing.

#109 CatBookMom

CatBookMom

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,027 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2011 - 20:16

I've been practicing a lot and I think I'm seeing some improvement. I'm still having a lot of difficulty with an edged-pen italic, so I've been working on shapes. I discovered that I have been writing italic so much this spring that I'd nearly lost my original handwriting, the Palmer-type that I learned in the 1950s. So I've been working on that a bit, too.

So here are my current samples of monoline italic and 1950s schoolgirl cursive. The excerpts are from a Brother Cadfael mystery.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by CatBookMom, 29 April 2011 - 20:17.

#110 RedSox04

RedSox04

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2011 - 00:18

^ I like the print a lot :thumbup:
To hold a pen is to be at war
-Voltaire

#111 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,675 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 May 2011 - 20:03

I've been practicing a lot and I think I'm seeing some improvement. I'm still having a lot of difficulty with an edged-pen italic, so I've been working on shapes. I discovered that I have been writing italic so much this spring that I'd nearly lost my original handwriting, the Palmer-type that I learned in the 1950s. So I've been working on that a bit, too.

So here are my current samples of monoline italic and 1950s schoolgirl cursive. The excerpts are from a Brother Cadfael mystery.

Posted Image

Posted Image

You have a very nice handwriting :thumbup: neat and clean. thanks for sharing
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time
Posted Image

#112 CatBookMom

CatBookMom

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,027 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2011 - 20:21

double-post. :embarrassed_smile:

Edited by CatBookMom, 25 May 2011 - 20:26.

#113 CatBookMom

CatBookMom

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,027 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2011 - 20:23

You have a very nice handwriting :thumbup: neat and clean. thanks for sharing

Thank you for the kind words. I seem to have hit a plateau, but one that I'm pretty happy with. So I'm just writing now for the pleasure of using my pens and inks. I've put the CI nibs away for a bit, and I'm finding that I'm producing a decentish imitation of italic at good speed. Here's a snip from last night, with my new Pelikan M400 (M nib);

]Posted Image

So sorry for the double-posting.

Edited by CatBookMom, 25 May 2011 - 20:25.

#114 GClef

GClef

The Manny™

• Member - Gold

• 2,546 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:57

Posted Image

>>> Ennyn Durin <<<

#115 CatBookMom

CatBookMom

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,027 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 June 2011 - 01:30

Posted Image

So pretty! :thumbup: Thank you for the eye candy; nice sentiment from R. Frost, too

#116 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,675 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 July 2011 - 15:54

outstanding work gclef :thumbup: :notworthy1:
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time
Posted Image

#117 Lince

Lince

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 July 2011 - 17:47

Posted Image

Beautiful, what pen did you use?

#118 GClef

GClef

The Manny™

• Member - Gold

• 2,546 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 July 2011 - 19:27

Beautiful, what pen did you use?

Thanks! I think it was my Conklin 25P Crescent.
It's the only nib I have that'll have the variation.

>>> Ennyn Durin <<<

#119 Hetty

Hetty

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 19:48

Beautiful cursive, Catbookmom! You should be proud of that hand. Your italic is good, too. It's a real change after learning copy-book cursive, isn't it?

GClef, your handwriting is exquisite, too. It looks so beautiful with that pen and the ink chosen. The flex nib looks so good

Well done, both of you!

Hetty

#120 CatBookMom

CatBookMom

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,027 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 July 2011 - 21:04

Beautiful cursive, Catbookmom! You should be proud of that hand. Your italic is good, too. It's a real change after learning copy-book cursive, isn't it?

GClef, your handwriting is exquisite, too. It looks so beautiful with that pen and the ink chosen. The flex nib looks so good

Well done, both of you!

Hetty

Thank you; you are so kind. When I compare my hand to the elegant ones, like GClef's, I blush in embarrassment.

[Sponsored Content]