Handwriting improvement

caliken

From time to time, on this forum, members have posted examples of their handwriting with requests for comments and/or advice as to improvement.

I'm just curious as to whether or not there has been much change in handwriting as a result.

If anyone feels that their handwriting has benefitted from the study of others' work on this forum, or as a direct result of advice, such information would be very interesting and possibly helpful for those of us in a similar situation.

Before and after illustrations would be particularly enlightening.

caliken

Edited by caliken

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CatBookMom

• caliken

• rogerb

• texaspenman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have greatly benefited by studying the handwriting of others from FPN and elsewhere, and practicing at least once a day. My handwriting has evolved from pathetic chicken scratches to being very clear and readable. I doubt anyone would call it beautiful, though. If I can overcome my reluctance to be evaluated, I might post an example of my current style a little later.

Regards,

Ray

Well, I just posted my first sample and request for feedback a few days ago. So far I'm experimenting with a certain piece of advice (practice on unlined paper) and it hasn't yielded too much of a change yet.

My handwriting was already pretty good, though. If I were to practice a lot more, I think I could get my handwriting a lot more consistent looking, but I'm not sure how much that would be from advice. Like, I'm well aware that my handwriting would be greatly improved by making all my letters and spaces more consistently, but that's about the extent of the advice I get on the subject.

So, as my bagpipe teacher always says, "Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect." Just a matter of practicing, I suppose.

On the other hand, I also got a fair bit of advice regarding the learning of new alphabets. If I were to pursue that (and I may yet), I think I'd find the advice of the FPN members indispensable.

Lectori salutem

Well, I just posted my first sample and request for feedback a few days ago. So far I'm experimenting with a certain piece of advice (practice on unlined paper) and it hasn't yielded too much of a change yet.

My handwriting was already pretty good, though. If I were to practice a lot more, I think I could get my handwriting a lot more consistent looking, but I'm not sure how much that would be from advice. Like, I'm well aware that my handwriting would be greatly improved by making all my letters and spaces more consistently, but that's about the extent of the advice I get on the subject.

So, as my bagpipe teacher always says, "Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect." Just a matter of practicing, I suppose.

On the other hand, I also got a fair bit of advice regarding the learning of new alphabets. If I were to pursue that (and I may yet), I think I'd find the advice of the FPN members indispensable.

As the 'advisor' in the first paragraph, LCS, I wonder what effects you are (not) finding?

Do you not find that your lines more 'separated', and are you having difficulty keeping them 'level'?

(I use a folded sheet of paper under my writing hand, both to provide a guideline, and to keep 'skin oil' off the paper!)

As you say, your writing is, IMO too, "pretty good", and, as a learning sax-player, I do agree with your teacher about the quality of one's practice :)

My writing has certainly improved by following advice, both here and from Kate Gladstone....and practice!

Edited by rogerb

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

As the 'advisor' in the first paragraph, LCS, I wonder what effects you are (not) finding?

Do you not find that your lines more 'separated', and are you having difficulty keeping them 'level'?

(I use a folded sheet of paper under my writing hand, both to provide a guideline, and to keep 'skin oil' off the paper!)

As you say, your writing is, IMO too, "pretty good", and, as a learning sax-player, I do agree with your teacher about the quality of one's practice :)

My writing has certainly improved by following advice, both here and from Kate Gladstone....and practice!

Well, Roger, my lines are certainly more separated, and this has definitely helped the look of my hand. When I posted my above, though, I had only really written on unlined paper once or twice, and hadn't noticed anything much yet. I've since done it a fair few more times, and am finding more and more that my writing is being spread out and looks more elegant.

I do have a bit of trouble keeping the lines level, but only when I'm not paying attention. As I say, though, that's all about practice, like so many things.

Lectori salutem

An excellent idea for a thread, Caliken.

Here's a sample of my handwriting as it stands now. I wrote this specifically for this thread, just now.

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/6633/writingsampleuu7.jpg

Comments, please.

---

Yes, I know it sucks...

Edited by Shangas

http://www.throughouthistory.com/ - My Blog on History & Antiques

Here's a sample of my handwriting as it stands now. I wrote this specifically for this thread, just now.

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/6633/writingsampleuu7.jpg

Comments, please.

---

Yes, I know it sucks...

The first thing I noticed was the very even consistency of the slope, which IMO is the most important aspect of attractive handwriting. Secondly, I find this legible and personal, the other two main

ingredients.

This is good, attractive and personal handwriting and in no way does it "suck".

caliken

Thanks for the reply, Cal, that means a lot coming from you :) Do you think it's improved in any way from the previous samples of my writing that I've posted up here?

I've had another look at your posting of writing samples from April 2007.

The main difference IMO is the more consistent slope throughout. I think that your writing now, looks a bit more controlled, somehow - a bit calmer. It's difficult to put into words. I don't think it looked bad in the first place - it just looks better now! Would you consider posting them together as a "before & after" which may encourage others to do likewise?

Thanks fot the interest and in posting and well done!

caliken

what's your handwriting like caliken?

I have seen your amazing caligraphy work but not your normal hand..... ?? Do we get to see a shot?

So I'm opinionated - get over it!!.......No, really - get over it!!

Hmmmm I was going to put up a WANTS list - but that's too long as well ......

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

<snip>

Comments, please.

---

Yes, I know it sucks...

My only suggestion, based on my own experience, is that it is more difficult to control a fine nib if you have relatively large handwriting....I have made a quick and rather unsatisfactory scan to try to illustrate the point, but it was affected by my previous 'garden activity'...extended use of secateurs, especially at my age, can have a temporarily (one hopes!) effect on one's 'manual/digital fine-control'!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/rogerb40uk/LrgeSmllBroadFine.jpg

My writing definitely sucks (compared with Ken's!!)....yours is improving!

It may be worth your experimenting by trying either a slightly broader nib, such as a Medium Stub, or writing a bit smaller with your Fine.

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

what's your handwriting like caliken?

I have seen your amazing caligraphy work but not your normal hand..... ?? Do we get to see a shot?

Pontificating on the handwriting of others is all very well, but I knew that someday it was going to come back to bite me - and, guess what, the day has come!

OK here we go -

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/Handwriting_edited-4.jpg

In your criticism, please be kind to an old man with a fragile ego!

caliken

Yeah, sure, I'll be harsh critic..... after I recover from fainting here... What a absolutely gorgeous, totally awesome, pure elegant penmanship that is!. Now don't tell me you write like that at a normal speed.........

Caliken, is just beautiful.

Hey Caliken.

If I can find an older writing sample, I'll post it up alongside the one up there.

And with regards to broader nibs, I can try that, I do have a few lying around.

---

Caliken, I'll be honest, I scrolled right past your handwriting because I couldn't differentiate it from computer-font! :lol: that's how neat I think it is! I really think your hand is just beautiful. I wish I could write as controlled & neatly as you do. Next to yours, my hand looks like a seismograph reading...

Edited by Shangas

http://www.throughouthistory.com/ - My Blog on History & Antiques

Yeah, sure, I'll be harsh critic..... after I recover from fainting here... What a absolutely gorgeous, totally awesome, pure elegant penmanship that is!. Now don't tell me you write like that at a normal speed.........

Caliken, is just beautiful.

Ondina

Thank you very much for the kind words.

This is how I write if I'm writing a letter. I'm not aware of going particularly slowly, but I do get pleasure from writing, both physically and mentally, so it's possible that I take longer than someone for whom writing is a chore.

I come from the generation who were taught that to send someone a scrappy, messy piece of writing, was to insult them, and the lesson has stuck. As a calligrapher by profession, I take pride in my work of necessity, and have no wish to let someone see my terrible writing, when taking notes rapidly. Some things are better left private.

caliken

Edited by caliken

Hey Caliken.

If I can find an older writing sample, I'll post it up alongside the one up there.

And with regards to broader nibs, I can try that, I do have a few lying around.

---

Caliken, I'll be honest, I scrolled right past your handwriting because I couldn't differentiate it from computer-font! :lol: that's how neat I think it is! I really think your hand is just beautiful. I wish I could write as controlled & neatly as you do. Next to yours, my hand looks like a seismograph reading...

Thanks Shangas,

I look forward to seeing your "before & after" examples, if you can find time to post them.

caliken

Great topic, Ken. As a calligraphy student I think this can be an important and interesting step.

Just an year ago (July 07) I posted my first "flex style" sample (at that time I didn't know what was copperplate):

http://www.webalice.it/charlize/foto/Writing.jpg

This is the link of the Topic

Some time later (December 07) I posted one of my first copperplate attempt:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/tipstricks/R1MXyw-FtUI/AAAAAAAABug/PHSSU450gAY/s400/copperplate.jpg

The topic was This

This is what I've learned now:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/tipstricks/SIoEEHAp_jI/AAAAAAAAC7w/RirCK9mCK-s/s800/P1020003.jpg

I write in this style with a medium speed (about 10 min to write the above sample), and I find it very "natural" using a flex nib like vintage Waterman's ones.

Edited by tipstricks
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh20/tipstricks_photo/31032009052_cr.jpg - My albums

Sorry. I'm deleting this post because I can't get pictures to upload.

Judybug

Edited by Judybug

So many pens, so little time!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

My Blog: Bywater Wisdom

Tipstricks

The progress you made in the 5 months between July 07 and December 07 was considerable, and since then your increase in confidence shows in your up-to-date writing - a superb effort and exactly what I was hoping for when I started this topic. Your writing is now flowing naturally, and must give pleasure to anyone receiving your snail mail.

It is so useful for beginners who feel daunted at the possibilty of ever making progress, to see what can be achieved.

Anyone can improve his/her handwriting with practice and perseverence and when you can see the results of your efforts develop as you practice, it ceases to be work and becomes fun.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

caliken

Edited by caliken