Three new ones from Edison Pen Co...and some Edison updates...

bgray

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bgray

• Lloyd

• Rufus

• Deirdre

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kudos on the work. I love the integrated threads. I would go with the first pen with a clip in a heartbeat.

Personally, I would prefer the section be flush, so I am anxiuos to see the revised section. The other step "above" the cap threads that keep the barrel and cap flush are just fine.

Will these pens accomodate converters? I do not have much eyedropper experience.

Kudos on the work. I love the integrated threads. I would go with the first pen with a clip in a heartbeat.

Personally, I would prefer the section be flush, so I am anxiuos to see the revised section. The other step "above" the cap threads that keep the barrel and cap flush are just fine.

Will these pens accomodate converters? I do not have much eyedropper experience.

Thanks.

The plan is to have an option of CC or eyedropper on most pens. The sections that I'm making will have tight and fine enough threads along with an O ring so you could do it either way.

Or if you see a pen that is advertised only as an eyedropper, I can custom make it to fill however you want.

Sometimes, however, the shorter barrels will not accomodate a converter. In this case, you could use a cartridge, and refill it with a syringe. Or I have aerometric converters that are shorter, and should fit the shorter barrels.

(by the way...that's a killer nib in your avatar...)

Edited by bgray

Hi Brian!

Nice work! Pens are shaping up well and I look forward to the unveiling of the updated Herald. With regard to the depth of the step, my preference is for a smaller step, more taper.

May you and those you love, be always blessed with peace and never ending joy.

Roger

Hi Brian!

Nice work! Pens are shaping up well and I look forward to the unveiling of the updated Herald. With regard to the depth of the step, my preference is for a smaller step, more taper.

Gorgeous pens, but I definitely prefer as fat a section as possible. Tapering down as needed is preferable to the stepping down.

Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

Beautiful!

I just discovered the Herald and have pushed it to the top of my list for next "beautiful" pen purchase. I will wait to see what is next for the Herald before ordering.

However, I am very much taken by the Herald's smooth form and would like to see the joint between cap and barrel "hidden" (i.e., no bands). In fact, I would like to see no clip either.

I'm wondering if the bulb filler now would require yet another break in the flow (besides the cap to barrel joint)?

Also, I too like the fat section (in matching ebonite).

These are offered as personal tastes, and I reckon they could be made in a custom order. So, just MHO.

In any case, excellent looking pens and I can't wait to get my hands on one of them!

First let me say I admire your work enormously and in the interest of (potential) customer feed back I would add the following comments

All the pens I like using the most have a smooth transition from barrel to section. Any with a stepped profile I avoid & especially if the step is exaggerated.

I am also keen to see the cap threads cut as fine as possible particularly if they are likely to be placed where I hold the pen. ~ this happens to be what puts me off a Pelikan 200 as the threads are cut deep & are widely spaced.

Although I have only tried a few pens, the one that appears to be a perfect shape, diameter & length for me is the pelikan 3000 / 2000 - a cartridge only pen. Thanks to this thread I am giving it a water test to see how well it works as an eye dropper. Provided there are no water leaks I will then test with ink. The only other drawback with this particular pen is the exchange of nibs on the pen

I just wonder if it would be possible to commission a pen from you that is close to the profile shape & length of this particular pen & has a section that will accept a variety of interchangeable nibs?

In fact, I would like to see no clip either.

I'm wondering if the bulb filler now would require yet another break in the flow (besides the cap to barrel joint)?

No problem with clipless.

With the bulb filler...the goal will be a totally seamless joint. As invisible as possible...my goal would be to emulate the seam on a Dantirio Densho eyedropper.

I have one, and the twist that controlls the plunger is totally invisible. You wouldn't know that it's there unless someone told you.

Thanks.

I just wonder if it would be possible to commission a pen from you that is close to the profile shape & length of this particular pen & has a section that will accept a variety of interchangeable nibs?

Absolutely. I really kind of prefer custom work more than production work, actually.

Next up is a really neat pen idea that I had, and I'm glad that it worked (inadvertantly).

I wanted to make an eyedropper that would fill from a blind cap on the butt of the barrel.

COuld you do the 2nd pen with something wild for the blind cap- maybe bright red orjust a wild celluloid! that would be great.

As for a eyedropper filling frm the back end, Take a look around for the Thomas Jeferson pen and how that is filler. IF I remember you make sure the cap is on the pen so that it seals nib closed then yoyu can fill the penfrom other end. Tightening the blind cap then lets you turn the pen over and write.

Next up is a really neat pen idea that I had, and I'm glad that it worked (inadvertantly).

I wanted to make an eyedropper that would fill from a blind cap on the butt of the barrel.

COuld you do the 2nd pen with something wild for the blind cap- maybe bright red orjust a wild celluloid! that would be great.

As for a eyedropper filling frm the back end, Take a look around for the Thomas Jeferson pen and how that is filler. IF I remember you make sure the cap is on the pen so that it seals nib closed then yoyu can fill the penfrom other end. Tightening the blind cap then lets you turn the pen over and write.

As far as a wild blind cap...anything is possible.

I like your idea of sealing up the cap to fill the pen. I'll try it when I get home.

Thanks!

Brian, per your intial psot regarding the elimination of the centreband a barrel trim ring, is it possible to retro-fit one of your existing pens this way? I was thinking of the Glenmont.

Bryan

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes." Winston S. Churchill

Wow! That bigger Piccolo (flute?) with a clip & a blindcap for eyedrop-priming would be a dream.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Brian, per your intial psot regarding the elimination of the centreband a barrel trim ring, is it possible to retro-fit one of your existing pens this way? I was thinking of the Glenmont.

No, I'm afraid not. Once a pen is made, there wouldn't be enough material to completely change how it is threaded. Sorry.

Alright Bryan, tht Piccolo is calling me. Very nice. I will be watching that one.

On the step, I have a number of pens with one and as long as the pen has good length it is not a problem.

Keep coming up with these geat ideas.

Joi - The Way of the Japanese Pen

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3664/3387580367_f8a1a5c1df.jpg

By the way, if these prototypes are just being discarded after they're improved upon, feel free to send them my way for further testing. ;)

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

First off...I know that a lot of people have been itching for the Herald as an eyedropper.

Good news. It will happen within a month, maybe earlier. I'm still prototyping everything involved. I have many versions that have succeeded as an eyedropper, but I need consistency before I will commit to a production version of the pen.

I will be eliminating the centerband, and the trim ring on the barrel. That has always been a mild issue and the feedback that I get from customers is to eliminate them...so they are gone. No centerband, and the threads will be integral to the body material.

Also, I have plans for the Herald as a bulb filler. This will be super cool. Unscrew the back half of the barrel to reveal a bulb. Give me more than a month on this one.

In the meantime...here are the new prototypes coming out of the shop....

First is an admitted and blatant copy of the Nakaya Piccolo. I own a Piccolo, and it is my personal favorite, and daily writer. I do sales full time, and I need a compact pen to put in my pocket briefcase on the run. The Piccolo is perfect, but is a little short for my hand, so I made this as my new daily writer.

post-4002-1216531444_thumb.jpg

It's a little longer than the Piccolo. It's now perfect in my hand. I designed the section so that the threads are fine enough that it can be a CC or eyedropper. If I want the convenience of cartridges/converters, than I have it. But at the same time, the section threads are tight enough that they will not allow ink to escape as an eyedropper, and I get much more ink capacity.

post-4002-1216531704_thumb.jpg

A penmaking friend of mine said that it wouldn't work....if you are filling a pen with an eyedropper from the rear of the pen, then the nib is pointing downward. So because there is no vacuum, the ink will simply drip out of the pen as quick as you can fill it.

I honestly thought that surface tension would be sufficient to hold in the ink during filling.

Well, I made the pen, just to find out. I made it with a removable section and blind cap...just in case the blind cap concept wouldn't work.

Guess what? The pen will leak if you fill it from the back! I was very wrong. Not a gush, but a good drip, drip, drip...

However, this led me to a neat discovery.

I now fill this pen like a conventional eyedropper.....from the section end with an eyedropper.

Then when it's time to prime the pen, simply hold the nib over the inkwell, and unscrew the blind cap. Unscrewing the blind cap will eventually release the vacuum, allowing ink to drip out. Once you get a couple of drops to come out, then the pen is primed. Tighten the blind cap to secure the vacuum, and stop the ink from dripping out.

This will prime the pen without the nib creep involved with dipping the pen into the inkwell.

post-4002-1216532207_thumb.jpg

post-4002-1216532227_thumb.jpg

post-4002-1216532250_thumb.jpg

Last up is a simple eyedropper. Nothing special, just a nice material, and a nice pen, however...

When creating the internal bore for the cap threads, I accidently made the bore about .025" too wide.

This diameter dictates what the barrel threads will be. Because the barrel threads have to accomodate the cap threads, this made the barrel thicker than what I wanted. This leads to the barrel having an awkward transition from barrel threads to the section.

I'll ask the forum...are you OK with the transition from barrel threads to the section?

post-4002-1216532295_thumb.jpg

post-4002-1216532321_thumb.jpg

Keep in mind that these are prototypes...you certainly wont hurt my feelings with comments on any of these pens.

Thanks...keep your eyes peeled...these ideas, along with changes to the Herald are around the corner.

Brian at Edison.