Mont Blanc 146 vs Omas Ogiva

goodguy1

Two pens very similar in so many ways. They are so close that I had to make a comparison to see which is better.

So let’s start with the basic design.

Both pens have the basic cigar shape, classic lines without trying to be to be eye catching.

To me these lines always meant workhorses for good and bad.

I really don’t like too much the Ogiva’s clip, I just can’t stand this roller at the end of it and I find it is harder to put in the pocket then a conventional clip.

My Ogiva has the Guilloche body with HT trim. I like the overall look of this pen but I like even better GP trim and the clean look of the 146.

Both pens use piston fillers (my favorite) and have medium gold nibs that have a very moderate flex to it.

The MB 146 is slightly shorter by about 5mm.

The 146 looks narrower then the Ogiva but to my total surprise you can screw the 146 cap perfectly on the Ogiva’s section.

Both pens feel very comfortable in the hand and very well balanced but somehow the 146 feels a bit more comfy to be used in my hand.

I cant tell you exactly which pen is heavier but both pens are light weight for pens their size and this is another point for these pens that make them such good writers.

Both Piston fillers work smoothly when the 146 feels just a tad less plasticy.

The 146 also has the little ink view window that tells you if you still have in ink the barrel.

Now to the business end-the nibs.

Both nibs are about the same size. The Ogiva’s white nib is 18k while the MB nib is 14k yellow nib.

When I put the nibs on the paper I really could hardly feel any difference between them. Again and again I switched between the two and nothing, they both feel wonderful, smooth, responsive and wet. Simply true pleasure. After a while I think the Omas nib maybe and just maybe is a fraction of a percent smoother but this is completely negligible. The Omas nib’s sweet spot is also ever so slightly bigger but all together these nibs are fun fun fun!!!

Conclusion

So which pen is better?

I can’t have a decisive decision since these 2 pens are perfect companions for everyday hard use being perfect for quick note taking or heavy use for students.

Never the less I personally have a winner just because of my own personal taste.

The winner is the MB 146 because I like the design better, to me it feels just a bit more comfortable in the hand and the ink view window is a nice added bonus.

post-19569-1216492252_thumb.jpg

post-19569-1216492261_thumb.jpg

post-19569-1216492272_thumb.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goodguy

• ballboy

• georges zaslavsky

• Bryant

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Goodguy 2, are you related to Goodguy1? B)

Do you have a 149? If you do, do you like the 149 better than your 146 or both for different reasons?

Bryan its me Goodguy,I added this user simply because the forum wouldnt let me download pictures so I just added 1 to my name.

As for my 149 you probably know its my baby comparing the 149 to the 146 is a bit of a hard thing to do as I find these 2 pens to be different.

Yes I know of course the 149 to be basicly a big 146 but somehow it feels much very different in the hand and to me uncomparable.

The love and joy is there for both pens.

Do you think I should make a comparison between the 149 and 146 ?

Respect to all

Thanks Goodguy 2, are you related to Goodguy1? B)

Do you have a 149? If you do, do you like the 149 better than your 146 or both for different reasons?

Bryan its me Goodguy,I added this user simply because the forum wouldnt let me download pictures so I just added 1 to my name.

As for my 149 you probably know its my baby comparing the 149 to the 146 is a bit of a hard thing to do as I find these 2 pens to be different.

Yes I know of course the 149 to be basicly a big 146 but somehow it feels much very different in the hand and to me uncomparable.

The love and joy is there for both pens.

Do you think I should make a comparison between the 149 and 146 ?

I knew it was you, I was just havin a little fun :bunny01: I figured you had a 149, but I wasn't 100% sure...

I compare all my pens, so I think you should compare your 149 to your 146. I feel different pens have different uses, but I still compare them...

Chatterley Luxuries and Pentime

Web: Chatterleyluxuries.com

Email: Info@chatterleyluxuries.com

Follow us on...

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

I agree with Goodguy that the 146 has a very slight edge on the Ogiva. For me that edge is due to two factors: the slightly smoother piston mechanism and the ink view windows.

I have always been mystified by the fact that Omas has not used ink view windows in its pens. The other three big manufacturers of pison fillers (Montblanc, Pelikan, and Aurora) all provide a window.

I would not compare a 149 to either the 146 or the Ogiva. The 149 is in a different class altogether because of its size and unique nib. I would compare the 149 to the following: Omas New Paragon, the Pelikan M1000, the Dupont Orpheo, the Sailor King of Pen, the Waterman Edson, the Visconti Opera Master, or the Delta Dolcevita Oversize.

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

I agree with Goodguy that the 146 has a very slight edge on the Ogiva. For me that edge is due to two factors: the slightly smoother piston mechanism and the ink view windows.

I have always been mystified by the fact that Omas has not used ink view windows in its pens. The other three big manufacturers of pison fillers (Montblanc, Pelikan, and Aurora) all provide a window.

I would not compare a 149 to either the 146 or the Ogiva. The 149 is in a different class altogether because of its size and unique nib. I would compare the 149 to the following: Omas New Paragon, the Pelikan M1000, the Dupont Orpheo, the Sailor King of Pen, the Waterman Edson, the Visconti Opera Master, or the Delta Dolcevita Oversize.

First I agree it is weird that Omas doesnt use an ink view window in its pens.

As for comparing the 149 to a Pel M1000,Duopont Orpheo,Sailor KOP,Edson,Opera Master and Delta DVOS.

I own the Edson and DVOS.

The Edson and DVOS are 2 wonderful pens but in my eyes the 149 is a better pen and a better writer.The main 2 reasons is:

The Edson is a bit of a roughness to its nib

The DVOS feels a bit too fat to hold in the hand for me.

Comparing the 146 to the 149 is in a why comparing apples to oranges but hey sometimes a fruit salad is very tasty :bunny01:

Respect to all

I never had an Ogiva but it is a nice pen for sure. However the best and the smoothest piston filling system are found on my MB 146s and 149s. The Omas filling system found on my 360s and my Paragon Arte is smooth too but less smooth than on my MBs.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

First I agree it is weird that Omas doesnt use an ink view window in its pens.

As for comparing the 149 to a Pel M1000,Duopont Orpheo,Sailor KOP,Edson,Opera Master and Delta DVOS.

I own the Edson and DVOS.

The Edson and DVOS are 2 wonderful pens but in my eyes the 149 is a better pen and a better writer.The main 2 reasons is:

The Edson is a bit of a roughness to its nib

The DVOS feels a bit too fat to hold in the hand for me.

Comparing the 146 to the 149 is in a why comparing apples to oranges but hey sometimes a fruit salad is very tasty :bunny01:

The Edson and the DVOS have both very dull and very characterless nibs (the edson having a pitchfork razor scratchy nib (I tried many Edsons with different nibs and still the same conclusion). The DVOS nib is smoother than the Edson's nib but it is far to equal a 149 nib).Both are also not piston fillers.

Also the problem with the DVOS is that it is a too short pen for its diameter. The Edson on the other hand uses a translucent plastic for its body called plexiglass, it is not my favorite material because the color combinations on the edson are meh in my opinion.

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I came to your 149 vs 146 review first. After I finished reading it, I was thinking I would like to read a review of the 146 with a similar size pen. As I was scrolling down, voila, this review.

Your reviews are well done, and this one is a perfect example of the different design philosophies of two different manufacturers, and our different.

I'd gladly trade the ink view, which I of little use to me, for the Greek key trim band on the Omas section. I've always been a fan of the Omas roller clip, both to use and as a signature design element of the Omas brand. I can take or leave the guilloche (which is why I still regret not buying the Autumno version of the Ogiva).

I much prefer the Montblanc nib engraving over the Omas arrow, especially when the Omas is a monotone. I think I'd also prefer the longer section of the 146, with its greater distance between the end and the threads. While I prefer the Greek key, the combination with the section end trim ring and the guilloche is almost too much.

Thanks again for a side-by-side comparison of two very classy pens.

gary

O.K. Goodguy,

It's time to review the Paragon with both the 146 and the 149. The comparison with the Virginia Woolfe doesn't count.

O.K. Goodguy,

It's time to review the Paragon with both the 146 and the 149. The comparison with the Virginia Woolfe doesn't count.

Nah,the Paragon is simply a better writer.

The nib is superior, the pen feels more comfy in the hand.

Th Paragon does lack in the style/feeling department but as for the pen as a writer its simply in a league of its own.

Funny but actualy after I finish trying the two MB sista's I used the Paragon and yep it is better.

Edited by goodguy

Respect to all

• 2 years later...

Nah,the Paragon is simply a better writer.

The nib is superior, the pen feels more comfy in the hand.

Th Paragon does lack in the style/feeling department but as for the pen as a writer its simply in a league of its own.

Funny but actualy after I finish trying the two MB sista's I used the Paragon and yep it is better.

So, wait, goodie, you actually prefer the Paragon to the MBs? :hmm1: . I tried a 146 yesterday and found its nib characterful. The pen was comfortable to hold and had attractive styling.

I hope you're not dissuading us to give up MBs :rolleyes:

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

Perhaps Goodguy's Paragon writes better, but that doesn't necessarily mean that all Paragons write better than MBs. I've owned 3 Omas Paragaons, and while they all wrote nicely, I didn't find them noticeably better or worse than my Meisterstucks. Also my Broad nibbed Paragon had a big ball of round tipping with no line variation whereas my Broad nibbed Meisterstucks come with a stubbish grind from the factory with line variation, so for broad nibs, I much prefer the Meisterstucks nibs (personal preference). And last time I checked Omas required US owners to send all their pens to Italy, whereas MB service (for regular production pens) is in the US with much easier communication and faster turnaround time. I had multiple QC issues with my Paragons, so I'm hesitant to buy Omas without a US service center.

Edited by Blade Runner

So, wait, goodie, you actually prefer the Paragon to the MBs? :hmm1: . I tried a 146 yesterday and found its nib characterful. The pen was comfortable to hold and had attractive styling.

I hope you're not dissuading us to give up MBs :rolleyes:

I didnt preffer the Paragon over MB, I preffered the Paragon over the 146.

The fact MB is my favorite pen maker doesnt mean I will chooce it always over other pens no matter what.

MY Paragon is my favorite writer (along with my L2K).

There is something about it that always make me come back to it.

Respect to all

Perhaps Goodguy's Paragon writes better, but that doesn't necessarily mean that all Paragons write better than MBs. I've owned 3 Omas Paragaons, and while they all wrote nicely, I didn't find them noticeably better or worse than my Meisterstucks. Also my Broad nibbed Paragon had a big ball of round tipping with no line variation whereas my Broad nibbed Meisterstucks come with a stubbish grind from the factory with line variation, so for broad nibs, I much prefer the Meisterstucks nibs (personal preference). And last time I checked Omas required US owners to send all their pens to Italy, whereas MB service (for regular production pens) is in the US with much easier communication and faster turnaround time. I had multiple QC issues with my Paragons, so I'm hesitant to buy Omas without a US service center.

The fact MB is my favorite pen maker doesnt mean I will chooce it always over other pens no matter what.

Ah, I see, thanks. Interesting to read such enlightening points of view. :happyberet:

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

Ah, I see, thanks. Interesting to read such enlightening points of view. :happyberet:

Using my pens is becoming harder since I dropped my Shaw and bent its nib.

I do love the Paragon as a writer but wouldnt loose sleep if it got damaged, on the other hand any of my MB is by far more important and any damage to it means a heart ache for me.

Respect to all

Using my pens is becoming harder since I dropped my Shaw and bent its nib.

I do love the Paragon as a writer but wouldnt loose sleep if it got damaged, on the other hand any of my MB is by far more important and any damage to it means a heart ache for me.

Ugh.... sorry to hear about your Shaw. I am cringing just reading about this.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.pnghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Ugh.... sorry to hear about your Shaw. I am cringing just reading about this.

I will have to send it to MB as my pen teck said its best to replace the nib as I need the pen perfect and I dont have the money now as I need to buy the Twain so for now the Shaw is unusable :crybaby:

Respect to all