Inks on my nibs?

GeneF

Greetings again to the forum...

So I have an interesting issue going on I wanted to ask you folks about. I have a few pens in play and notice that while they have no performance problems they all constantly have a slight sheen of ink on the top of their nibs while using bottled ink, primarily the Noodler's I use.. My list:

Cross Solo - on the standard Cross cartridge - no ink. With converter slight coating on top of nib

Sheaffer Saratoga Snorkel - Skrip ink - no problems

2 Pilot 78G's - One with Noodler's Polar Black, one with Polar Blue - both with the think coating.

Is this common?

Thanks...

GeneF

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GeneF

• FrankB

• DrPJM1

• grimakis

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This phenomenon is know as "nib creep", and some inks cause it worse than others. Technically this will do nothing to affect the pens performance, however it isn't pretty to look at.

Try using some tissue paper to wipe the nib.

Everything else aside, it is very common.

~George

It is pretty much standard operating procedure with many Noodler's inks. Why not try a couple other brands of ink to see if they do the same thing in your pens. Meanwhile, there is nothing to worry about.

It's prevalent with Noodler's inks but does not affect ink performance nor does it deteriorate the nib. I've had successfully beat nib creep by lighly coating the nib with wax before inking the pen.

Pedro

Looking for interesting Sheaffer OS Balance pens

It is pretty much standard operating procedure with many Noodler's inks. Why not try a couple other brands of ink to see if they do the same thing in your pens. Meanwhile, there is nothing to worry about.

For you and the response about nib creep...

I had heard that term, now I know. A tissue helps, but does not eliminate it.

I guess I will try other inks, I just liked the "bulletproof" part of that ink. I like that it washes off my hands easily if I need it to, but that it doesn't really smear.

I agree - the pens work fine, though.

GeneF

I have yet to have a Private Reserve ink "creep". If this actually bothers you, you might want to try them out...

Adam

[size=4][size=3]I Buy, Restore & Sell Esterbrook Pens, Desk Sets & Pencils[/size][/size]

Currently on the hunt for:

Soennecken especially model 111 or matching pencils 11
Soennecken "Tower" sub-brand
Esterbrook or Waterman "Clergy" models with engraved crosses

I second the change to PR if you like to look at clean nibs. Most people using Noodler's I know don't seem to worry much about it though.