Visconti Van Gogh Messy Nib

MickeyD

I have the subject pen, and no matter what I do with it, ink leaks all over the nib. I'm not sure why or how. It seems to be coming from the slit, and not anywhere else. Also, it's supposed to be a fine point, but I have mediums that write narrower than this pen.

Is this a problem with the pen or the ink?

Thanks!

Mike

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MickeyD

• KCkc

• handlebar

• petra

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you by any chance using Noodler's ink, Mike? I find that it creeps a lot from the nib of my Visconti VG, but I haven't had the problem with other inks. As for nib sizing, I have the medium, and it strikes me as being quite wide and wet, so perhaps the same applies to the fine.

Neil

[FPN ACCOUNT ABANDONED. I AM NO LONGER ACTIVE HERE, BUT AM SADLY UNABLE TO CLOSE MY ACCOUNT AND DELETE MY POSTS.]

Not sure what you mean by "all over" the nib. Is it drippy or just a coating.

My van gogh is VERY wet writer. Supposed to be a fine, but very wet medium once it dries.

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

As for the ink, I've used Visconti and Levenger. I'd agree, this is a *very* wide "fine." I'm considering selling it or sending it off to a nib repair place (I've used one before some years ago that was good.) I'd hate to sell it. I like the feel of this pen.

The same inks work well out of my Parker, Cross, and a Pininfarina I bought in Italy.

Mike

I have 3 Viscontis that I love/hate.

All of them (two "B" and one "F" nibs) have sloppy, wet nibs. I like juicy writers, but not sloppy! AND in addition to ink collecting on the nib, mine BLOB :angry: and are finnicky writers! They are being sent off one after the other for Binderizing because I can't stand it any more.

I'm also never buying another Visconti unless it's a proven good writer. Visconti quality control must be very erratic.

Petra

I have one of the Visconti VG's and it does great on any ink i have tried,including Noodlers.Yes it is a bit of a wetter writer,but it does a great job for me.I would love to buy another as far as that goes!!

Handlebar

Had 2 Van Goghs with fine nibs - one new style, one old style - both were wet writers more along the lines of mediums. Nib creep showed up only with Noodlers permanent grades.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

the 2 FINE I have on my Crystal and Wall St do not have sloppy wet nibs. They are wet writers but not sloppy as in having messy ink on the nib.

Having said that I noticed that my OMAS Paragon gets sloppy with ink on the side and near the slit of the tines.

Edited by KCkc

Well, I feel much better now. Sort of. At least it's not the way I use/store the pen, nor the ink. Next time I'm taking vacation, I'll send it off to have the nib looked at. However, this may be my first and last Visconti. My wife allowed my indulgence for a "really nice pen," and this was my choice.

I have a business trip to Barcelona later this year, and we're planning a trip to Germany and Italy around Christmas. I'll look at other brands and see what I can find that's not so "juicy" around the business end.

I use Moleskines a lot, and the bleed-through and feathering on this pen is the worst of any of my collection, including a Parker 21 (M) and and old Cross (M). Even my medium Vanishing Point doesn't make a mess like this Fine. <sigh>

Thanks to all for the responses.

Mike

Well, I feel much better now. Sort of. At least it's not the way I use/store the pen, nor the ink. Next time I'm taking vacation, I'll send it off to have the nib looked at. However, this may be my first and last Visconti. My wife allowed my indulgence for a "really nice pen," and this was my choice.

I have a business trip to Barcelona later this year, and we're planning a trip to Germany and Italy around Christmas. I'll look at other brands and see what I can find that's not so "juicy" around the business end.

I use Moleskines a lot, and the bleed-through and feathering on this pen is the worst of any of my collection, including a Parker 21 (M) and and old Cross (M). Even my medium Vanishing Point doesn't make a mess like this Fine. <sigh>

Thanks to all for the responses.

Mike

I , too am disappointed with Moleskin. It bleeds a lot regardless of how wet the nib is. Have a good vacation.

If you can only indulge on one pen and you are into nib rather than looks, maybe Pelikan M800 or M1000 with a Mottishaw nib would be a great candidate.

• 1 month later...

** Follow Up **

First, thanks to all the fine folks here who have helped me with this. I did a bit (OK, a lot) of analysis of this pen, how I use it, and how I write in general.

My mistake was deciding I needed a pen with a flexible point. I was hoping there would be a slight bit of variability in the stroke width, which one of my pens has and I find appealing. That pen has a steel tip that I've found takes more pressure than the Visconti. I've also found I have a "heavy hand" when I write, so a very flexible pen may not be right for me. I did have a Pelikan at one time that I thought was very good. Unfortunately, I suffered from cranial containment failure and lost the pen. :bonk:

In addition to the Visconti, I have an old (10 years) Cross, a Parker 21 (which got me started with all this), two Namiki VPs, and a "Pininfarina" (made by the company that designs Ferraris.

The Visconti still "leaks" over the tip. I'm not sure what causes that nor how to fix it. So for the present, I'll use it, but I'll be looking for a replacement. I may go back for a Pelikan, but I'm open to other ideas.

Once again, thank you for all the feedback and help.

Mike