The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Naki 928 Triumph Collection - Gola Black Dragon

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 shadowsforbars

shadowsforbars

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 21:41

Benchmark: Waterman Phileas. I chose this because it is well known and satisfactory in every way.

Method: I used the Waterman for 3 days in my normal routine. I then switched to the Naki for 3 days. Finally, I went back to the Waterman for 1 more day.

Ink: Both were filled with Noodler’s Aircorps Blue.

Paper: A variety of cheap jotting paper mainly.

Writing Style: Left handed under the line. Shallow angle with index finger almost straight. Soft grip, low down on the barrel as I have a touch of arthritis in my fingers. Hand size slightly smaller than average for a man.

Size: The pens have the same length, but the Naki is a touch more slender. Both have medium nibs, but I found the Naki, to be noticeably finer.

Fit and Finish: The bottom most gold band on the Waterman doesn’t quite run all the way round the pen. Slight advantage to the Naki

Conclusions: The Waterman is lighter and more comfortable to use for longer periods, but the Naki is the smoother writer. However, the Naki feels top heavy when posted and I prefer to use it unposted. This could be a result of my smaller hand and someone with a ‘bear paw’ might well have no problem.

Looking at the Naki it has an attractive (to my eye) dragon on the barrel. The problem comes when you look at the cap and you get one of those “what were they thinking “ moments. It is as though someone put a hand in the parts bin and pulled out a cap at random. It has a gold design printed on it but I can’t decipher what it is supposed to be. I think it could be phoenix, but I wouldn’t argue with any other interpretation. The cap band is marked 928 14K SZ LEQI in block capitals followed by “Paris” in script. Presumably, this is to evoke France, but I can see nothing French about the design. The end of the cap is marked with a clef, the company’s logo and this motif is repeated on the clip. Both just seem incongruous.

The Waterman attracted no comments on the occasions that I took it out of the house, however, the Naki did receive a couple of positive comments. If you need an unobtrusive pen for business, the Waterman wins hands down; if you want a pen to write notes quickly, again the Waterman. Yet the Naki is the smoother writer.

Intangibles: After the test, I had both pens sitting on the desk. My hand always seemed to reach for the Naki. That must say something.

Sponsored Content

#2 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 02:13

thanx for the review. i've seen the naki at isellpens.com, it looks pretty! enjoy your pens!

Sponsored Content

|