Camlin 47

hari317

Yes Hari,

This was the pen. I possessed the same colour even.

Very nostalgic, I am so fond of it that still I carry its broken remains for last 20 years.

Tried many places in Delhi, Noida & Allahabad, but couldn't get it.

But after seeing the pictures will search with renewed hope.

Excellent review and thanks a ton

Regards

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• deependra

• subbu68

• manupandeyji

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Found this online:

http://library.zocampus.com/zodepot/index.php?route=product/product&path=25_337&product_id=207

Have never bought from them, so tread with the usual caution.

Hari

ETA: they seem to have flicked many pictures from FP revolution and one pic of the SD from me. :angry:

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Wonderful Pics as well as write-up Hari. I picked up 3 of these in different colors yesterday. Rugged pen that can take a beating and still work flawlessly. This is from my experience during days at school, years ago. Regarding the unauthorized usage of your images, maybe you should take up the matter with the company.

Wonderful Pics as well as write-up Hari. I picked up 3 of these in different colors yesterday. Rugged pen that can take a beating and still work flawlessly. This is from my experience during days at school, years ago. Regarding the unauthorized usage of your images, maybe you should take up the matter with the company.

excellent, did you buy these from the seller I linked above?

reg the pics, Let them be, on the plus side, they are selling the pens at such a reasonable rate, even cheaper than what I can buy at locally :)

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I brought these from the local stationary shop whom I purchase regularly from. At least they owe you a dozen of these pens free of cost for using your pics!roflmho.gif

• 1 month later...

<!--quoteo(post=671089:date=Jul 15 2008, 03:51 PM:name=JulioPB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JulioPB @ Jul 15 2008, 03:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=671089"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nice pens. I visited the Camlin web site, they produce nice products, but, How can they produce and sell fountain pens from Us$27 cents to one dollar?, It is amazing!!!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Probably has to do with being able to source labor at a couple dollars a day -- same way the Chinese do it, in other words.

Dear Donor Pen,

If India is making Fps inexpensively at $0.27-1.0, it is not exactly cheap labor. India is also not comparable with China and I believe the two must not be mentioned in the same breath! India is liberal democracy with a robust civil society. China is a single party autocracy, which can block even the google site at will. People live freely and fearlessly in India. They have freedom of speech, right to information, a robust justice system- may be corrupt, but it is system you can fight and win over. The Koodankulam nuclear reacotr site has been blocked by public protest for close to an year. The Special Economic Zones have all but been cancelled as they were alienating people from their lands. China is not like this. A SEZ is created overnight and the people expelled.

So to return to inexpensive pens: It simply means that a USD is not equal to fifty rupees. A USD cannot but buy a fountain pen, but Rs. 50=00 can buy one. So simply find the cost of a fountain pen in the US, and equate it with Rs. 50=00. That is the correct exchange rate! That is called 'purchasing pwer parity' in economics. If the oil trade were not to take place in USD, the dollar would fall to its correct price. It could then be worth only Rs. 5=00.

Hope this helps clear your confusion.

Vishnu

I had the same pen when I was in the school - somewhere near 1990. Went to buy a Hero and bought this because it was out of stock. My first ever piston filler. It was good while it lasted, for about a couple of months and then it started leaking. Went back to Hero (they were pretty good back then).

• 3 weeks later...

dear Hari,

Ho you remove piston from barrel?

It is risky. just keep unscrewing the filler knob till it pops out. then pull the piston out.

Sometimes the filler mechanism will break when you do this...

Hari

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, does anyone know the capacity of Camlin 47?

Has anyone compared it with the capacity of a short international cartridge?

Thank you

Nick Apostolakis

Msc in IT, University of Glasgow

GPG ID: 0xBDF1848D

e-mail: nickapos@oncrete.gr

Web Site: http://nick.oncrete.gr

• 4 months later...

Hello, does anyone know the capacity of Camlin 47?

Has anyone compared it with the capacity of a short international cartridge?

Thank you

It takes little bit more than 1.6 ml, while my Lamy cartridge takes 1.2 ml and parker quink catridge takes 1.2+ ml ink.

Short international cartridge, I never compared. But Camlin 47 rakes more ink than that, no doubt.

• 4 weeks later...

Snap cap, hooded nib, ink view window, piston filler, and rock-bottom price. A great report by Hari and a worthy bump from 2008.

• 3 weeks later...

I received my Camlin 47 just last week, ordered from Fountain Pen Revolution (no affiliation), $16 USD (including $2 for shipping). I am very pleased, and got a free pen too. Here is a writing sample. I'm a bit of a newbie... :embarrassed_smile: I hope this helps! post-17655-0-65492400-1365005081.jpg

post-17655-0-62594600-1365005105.jpg

I guess I will have to wait tell these become the pen of the day, then I will get one. :thumbup:

Do not let old pens lay around in a drawer, get them working and give them to a new fountain pen user.

• 6 months later...

Good day Hari,

This is a beautiful & comprehensive review on Camlin 47. Historically this was possibly the second or third model to be launched by camlin in /around 1976~7. This is a based on Aurora 88, with minor changes. I had used this pen in school.

Today I went to College street and searching 4/5 shops I managed to buy 22 pens for just Rs 750 including four Camlin 47's [Rs 50 each]. This seller has about 20 more of his new Old stock. I was surprised to find this pen still available.

In case any one interested I can purchase and mail you this pen personally!! Please let me know.

Personally for me today's finding was a walk down memory lane, and this pen is available even today at $ 0.85, I am simply overwhelmed.

Good day Hari,

This is a beautiful & comprehensive review on Camlin 47. Historically this was possibly the second or third model to be launched by camlin in /around 1976~7. This is a based on Aurora 88, with minor changes. I had used this pen in school.

Today I went to College street and searching 4/5 shops I managed to buy 22 pens for just Rs 750 including four Camlin 47's [Rs 50 each]. This seller has about 20 more of his new Old stock. I was surprised to find this pen still available.

In case any one interested I can purchase and mail you this pen personally!! Please let me know.

Personally for me today's finding was a walk down memory lane, and this pen is available even today at $ 0.85, I am simply overwhelmed.

Thanks Soumitra. The 47 is a close copy of the older Montblanc Monterosa. Hope this helps.

I believe the 47 is still being produced.

Best

Hari

Thanks Soumitra. The 47 is a close copy of the older Montblanc Monterosa. Hope this helps.

I believe the 47 is still being produced.

Best

Hari

It is still listed on their website (although it, like its fellow piston filler Sleek, has a P after it on the website, while most of the eyedroppers have an R) so it is presumably still made.

It is amazing that they manage to produce a pen that good that cheaply. I did manage to damage one of mine while cleaning it though - the sleeve holding the nib and feed cracked. Luckily, the same part from a similar Airmail that arrived pre-broken fit.

Слава Україні!

Slava Ukraini!

STR:11 DEX: 5 CON:5 INT:17 WIS:11 CHA:3

Wielding: BIC stick of poor judgment (-3,-5) {cursed}

It is still listed on their website (although it, like its fellow piston filler Sleek, has a P after it on the website, while most of the eyedroppers have an R) so it is presumably still made

.yeah, their website is now revamped.

http://www.kokuyocamlin.com/product/fountain-pens-ink/economy-range-of-fountain-pens-28-108-4.html

R indicates "Regular" filling aka Eyedropper filling.

P Indicates Piston filling.

Edited by hari317