Best Pen for up to £450?

markporter

Well, I don't usually hand around in the fountain pen world but I need some advice so I thought I'd try posting here. Essentially I have asked for a fountain pen for my 21st birthday and have anywhere up to about £450 to spend on it, this being my first pen worth more than £10 or £20. I was looking for recommendations and advice. I was attracted by the design of the waterman serenite but after having read the review at https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...?showtopic=6449 and talking to some friends that know about such things I'm not quite so convinced anymore.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• markporter

• acfrery

• KCat

• Michael Wright

Well, I'm very curious to see how many different pens get named in this thread, as that kind of budget obviously opens you up to many different choices. For what it's worth, I would do either one of two things: go to Rick Propas's site (the PENguin) and get a lovely, vintage Pelikan, or, on the modern side of things, get a Sailor Naginata. Or perhaps a plum Parker "51." Amongst many, many others. Still, these three would probably be my points of departure. Whatever it is you end up choosing, I hope you love it. Take care,

David

At that price range, you are not looking at what pen is "best" in terms of writing performance. You are looking at what is best in terms of esthetics that dazzle you. You are looking to indulge yourself with something very "luxurious." To that end, I think going by a price point is not the best way to go about it. A price cap makes a lot more sense, and it gives you the flexibility to buy more than one pen if you so desire.

wow - way too many to choose from for me.

I guess if I had that amount to spend I would in all likelihood buy more than one pen. Or one pen and a lot of paper and in.

BUT... sometimes I imagine I might actually buy an Urushi or Maki-e pen. Certainly that would be a grand symbol of your accomplishment.

what career/study are you working in/toward? There are many pens out there that have themes that might be of interest. Maki-e pens of course have many traditional Japanese themes. I don't know how much the MB Writer's Series pens go for in pounds but if it's in your range and you have an affinity for a particular writer...

some things to consider anyway.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

I agree entirely with Stylo. So think about what pens, if any, set your pulses racing, then see if they fit under your price cap, and then check back here to see if they write OK.

If it were me, I'd buy an OMAS Arco, but it isn't me. What did you like about the Serenite?

Best

Michael

Congratulations on your upcoming birthday.

If you are new to fountain pens, you should really consider playing around with a good cheap one or two until you get the hang of it and to know what kind of pen you like (size, nib width, nib type, filling mechanism, material of cap and barrel, etc) and demonstrate the ability not to lose pens before you spend that nice sum. By then you may well be able to make the choice yourself.

J

I would not rush my purchase. Try many nib types to find your match. Some like fine points, other flexible nibs, some like obliques, others stubs, and some like the broader nibs.

Once you find the nib you like, then enjoy writing! ;)

Pedro

Looking for interesting Sheaffer OS Balance pens

Many good pens in that price range...my advice would be to find a decent sized brick and mortar shop where you can look at them and try them.

See what appeals and remember, you don't have to buy there and then but can look/ask for reviews of that pen(s) to see what they are like in the long run also...

Personally, with £450 to spend I'd be looking at some of the larger Pelikans, MB's and Conway Stewarts but everyone's different so get out there and try some pens.

Non-poster.
Current loves - MB 149, Pelikan M1000

OK, thanks for all the advice so far guys. In answer to a couple of the questions;

I've just finished a music degree at Oxford and I'm not entirely sure what I'm working toward now - hoping for some kind of music-related career possibly teaching, possibly in the church, at least to start with and then seeing where that leads.

The thing about the Serenite was it's uniqueness, I very much like something that stands out for some reason or other and that certainly did for its shape.

Trying pens is a little complicated here - I don't think that the bigger Oxford pen shop is willing to let you actually put ink in pens and write with them though it seems to be willing to let you hold them and get a bit of the feel that way.

Playing around with a cheap one or two? Well I've had a cheap Parker for a number of years now and so do have some experience writing with that.

Maybe if you're getting two pens a music nib might be a good way to go...they're nibs specifically designed for writing musical notation (I'm sure somebody will chip in with way more info since I don't know much about them).

BUT... sometimes I imagine I might actually buy an Urushi or Maki-e pen. Certainly that would be a grand symbol of your ac

OK, so tell me more about Maki-e - it's an unfamiliar term to me but googling it comes up with some really beautiful stuff such as this which I imagine is probably way out of my pricerange but if there were reasonably priced pens in that kind of style I'd certainly be interested

A foutain pen has to write as well as it looks, otherwise it isn't a fountain pen.

I'd expect a premium pen to embody the ideal nib for me, in this case a US medium italic with effortless flow and ethereal smoothness.

I haven't found such a pen, so I've never considered buying one.

I have held some very expensive ones, and found that jewelry encrusted or extensively engraved pens don't feel good for extensive writing, maybe a signature but that's it.

However, laquered pens have a great touch, and is a pleasure to hold. I've always been attracted to that design.

http://store.yahoo.com/airline/namemcolautf.html

Since such pens are often in specialty stores, almost all are reluctant to have you try a few strokes with the nib. In a catch 22 fashion, although I can admire the casing, I can never determine its pen characteristics. However, given its cost and likelihood of malfunction, it pays to buy it retail to get customer support during the break-in period.

Edited by saturation

I used to live in Oxford. Do you mean Pens Plus? It's along the High Street near Longwall Street. The owner is Italian, and looks fierce, but he is acutally quite nice, and so is his wife. They will let you try the fountain pen first. If not, Harrods has a great pen dept.

I'd recommend a Porsche Design Founain pen, (about £220) or perhaps something like a Visconti Demonstrater, in silver with titainum plating.

Music teachers are always in demand, if you like teaching kids, then you can try my old school New College School, along Savile Road (Off Mansfield Road). Good Luck!

Happy 21st Birthday!

Shaun

Shaun

OK, thanks for all the advice so far guys. In answer to a couple of the questions;

I've just finished a music degree at Oxford and I'm not entirely sure what I'm working toward now - hoping for some kind of music-related career possibly teaching, possibly in the church, at least to start with and then seeing where that leads.

The thing about the Serenite was it's uniqueness, I very much like something that stands out for some reason or other and that certainly did for its shape.

Trying pens is a little complicated here - I don't think that the bigger Oxford pen shop is willing to let you actually put ink in pens and write with them though it seems to be willing to let you hold them and get a bit of the feel that way.

Playing around with a cheap one or two? Well I've had a cheap Parker for a number of years now and so do have some experience writing with that.

Since no one else has mentioned it, I will -- how about an ST Dupont Orpheo? It's kind of heavy (which some people like) and aside from being big and gorgeous it writes beautifully! I don't have one, but Honolulu Pen Shop keeps a bunch of them inked. Plus, of course, it's named after a fellow musician and quite a legendary one at that.

Oh, and without straying too much off target, here's a link to the British Library's manuscript page where they have posted Mozart's own catalog in his own handwriting. The page has a narration about the history and circumstances around the entries, and will even play the catalog entries.

http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/ttp/ttpbooks.html

I studied music too, but ended up in IT -- similar cognitive skills it seems. I'd be in music if I could make a living in the field. Best of luck in your new career, and happy (ink) trails!

Doug

Such a jump, from 20 to 450! :blink:

I'm partial on the Pelikan Toledo M900, it's in my list for the future.

Cheers,

Paulo

http://images.andale.com/f2/117/108/6000385/1114656203595_900VERMEIL.jpg

Edited by Paulo

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/paulo60s/rnt_joke.gif

Cheers,

Paulo

Hi Mark

How does this sound?

Buy a Pelikan M600 with say medium nib. Medium sized pen, great quality and the nib units are easy to screw in and out. Expect to pay close to £200 in UK pen shops or around £120 off eBay but buy with care (I got mine for about £95 from Germany).

Buy 2 or 3 different nibs (The Pen Museum stocks them from £10 steel to £100 gold).

You now have a high quality pen that you can try with varous nibs and you will not say after a few months use "I wish I had got it with a .... nib". Great fun to use different nibs from time to time anyway.

Hope this is helpful,

Regards

Peter

Thanks for the ideas....still checking out all the things that have been suggested.

Yeah, I meant pens plus - I met the lady in there and she was very nice, certainly less intimidating than the bloke.

I'm going into the Cherwell school this week to see how I like it there...