The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Esterbrook SJ 9128 Nib

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 vermiculus

vermiculus

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 22:01

There was a request for reviews of Esterbrook renew-point nibs a while back, and now I have access to a scanner I thought I'd oblige with a review of my favouite Estie renew point - the 9128 Extra flexibile extra fine. I won't try to put numbers to it, as I find scoring pens a little worthless, but I will do my best to explain the thing.

First Impressions

Everyone Loves Esterbrooks. I don't think you can see a J series in the flesh without falling in love with their looks and their somewhat dated post-war look - bubbly circles and clean lines make it as distinctive as the Parker 51. The Esterbrook Pen company is a good example of a company which survived the technology leap from dip to fountain, but unfortunately they lost out to the biro. I received this pen uninked as a lucky eBay find, and it felt just like I'd bought it from the shop in a time warp! I have now had two pens New Old Stock, and I find that I have a special affinity to them as their first user.

Appearance and Finish.
What a looker! The marbled finish on the J series is wonderful, but the "Dubonnet Red" must surely be the finest of them all. On top of that, I polished mine up with Renaissance Wax and it's so shiny that the magpies eye it through the window. The smallish 9128 nib suits the SJ, and when I put a 2668 into it once it looked oversized for the pen.

Design/size/weight.
I've tabulated the measurements in the writing sample, below. The pen is small in the hand, and very light - I think these are celluloid rather than plastic. This is the spoon-headed style of lever, and is a double-jewel type body. Even though it's small, I don't find it uncomfortable to use - and I usually shy away from smaller pens.

Nib
The real point of the review! (yes, pun intended).

The 9128 is a respectable flexi. It can do copperplate elegantly, and the steel construction means it's virtually indestructable. Mine was a little scratchy out of the box - it is very fine, after all - but soon relaxed after a bit of a flex workout. The line is medium-wet, and it doesn't deposit blobs at the flex, like some pens do. All in all, very satisfactory!

Here, I will post the writing sample to demonstrate performance:

Filling System
A Flawless lever filler. Indeed, these fillers are very robust and rarely do sacs need replacing, in my experience.

Cost/value
These can be had for between £10 and £20 ($20 - $40) depending on condition. I absolutely think that a good condition J series with a 9xxx nib is worth $40, though some might disagree.

Overall - This nib is a lot of fun to use, and was my first proper flex nib. Though I now have several Flexies, this remains one of my favourites. The pen itself is a joy to use.

Thanks for reading - this is my first review, so feedback is appreciated!

Sponsored Content

#2 Breck

Breck

Why do I ever stray from Bustelo?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 22:37

Nicely done, both with the find and the review! I really like having a full review along with a scan of the pen in action. I've gotten all my birthday presents already, so I guell I'll just have to put an Estie on my X-mas list...

#3 Souldrifter

Souldrifter

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 July 2008 - 22:40

QUOTE(vermiculus @ Jul 8 2008, 03:01 PM) View Post
Cost/value
These can be had for between £10 and £20 ($20 - $40) depending on condition. I absolutely think that a good condition J series with a 9xxx nib is worth $40, though some might disagree.

Overall - This nib is a lot of fun to use, and was my first proper flex nib. Though I now have several Flexies, this remains one of my favourites. The pen itself is a joy to use.

Thanks for reading - this is my first review, so feedback is appreciated!

I can't find the nibs anywhere right now less than $45. sad.gif Let alone adding a pen to that...

#4 vermiculus

vermiculus

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 23:00

Yeah, getting the nibs can be pricey. In fact, I paid about $20 for this, but it was in a bad eBay listing - I never knew I'd be getting such a goodun.

In fact, on eBay I find the pens go for less than the nibs! You could always try a Want-to-buy here...

QUOTE(Reginleif @ Jul 8 2008, 11:40 PM) View Post
I can't find the nibs anywhere right now less than $45. sad.gif Let alone adding a pen to that...

I'll just have to put an Estie on my X-mas list

Might not fill up your stocking, but it might be the best thing in there! wink.gif

#5 System of Adam

System of Adam

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 23:12

QUOTE(vermiculus @ Jul 8 2008, 06:00 PM) View Post
Yeah, getting the nibs can be pricey. In fact, I paid about $20 for this, but it was in a bad eBay listing - I never knew I'd be getting such a goodun.

In fact, on eBay I find the pens go for less than the nibs! You could always try a Want-to-buy here...

QUOTE(Reginleif @ Jul 8 2008, 11:40 PM) View Post

I'll just have to put an Estie on my X-mas list

Might not fill up your stocking, but it might be the best thing in there! wink.gif

Do you have a 9028 for comparison sake? I have 4 9028 with one of them coming back from Pendemonium after smoothing and I'd love to know how this nib stacks up...

Great Review! Thank you

Adam
I Buy, Restore & Sell Esterbrook Pens, Desk Sets & Pencils

Currently on the hunt for:

Soennecken especially model 111 or matching pencils 11
Soennecken "Tower" sub-brand
Esterbrook or Waterman "Clergy" models with engraved crosses

#6 vermiculus

vermiculus

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 23:18

QUOTE(System of Adam @ Jul 9 2008, 12:12 AM) View Post
Do you have a 9028 for comparison sake? I have 4 9028 with one of them coming back from Pendemonium after smoothing and I'd love to know how this nib stacks up...

Great Review! Thank you

Adam

'fraid not - Wish I did! I should imagine that instead of just under 0.5mm to 1.1mm, it will be maybe 0.7 to 1.5mm - but that's a complete guess. I would also expect it to be easier to flex, too.

The only nibs I have tried are 9550, 9128 and 2668.

#7 wvbeetlebug

wvbeetlebug

GO EERS!!!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 July 2008 - 23:53

Whee! What fun! I really need to get a flexible nib.

:happycloud9:

Cathy L. Carter

Live. Love. Write.

#8 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 09:50

i bought that same exact pen a few months ago for only $10 USD... alas! no flex nib crybaby.gif

Reginleif is right. those nibs go for about $45-50, so i think you got it for a very good price!

nice review... enjoy your pen!

#9 Gran

Gran

U. S. A.

• Member - Gold

• 1,291 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 17:49

Thanks very much for the review. A lovely pen and a fascinating flex nib. Good thing Easter is coming.... smile.gif
May you have pens you enjoy, with plenty of paper and ink. :)

Please use only my FPN name "Gran" in your posts. Thanks very much!

#10 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,896 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 17:57

excellent review-liked that you defined ladies size.
what is the ink? great choice for the pen;)
want an estie with flex nib sick.gif <not sure what this emoticon means-using it for pea-green with envy.
p2p muttering ..budgetbudgetbudget donotcovetdncdnc bbb

Edited by pen2paper, 11 March 2009 - 17:59.

emoticon-animal-007.gif~Hi! fountain pen enthusiast here~

#11 pmorin

pmorin

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 17:58

Thanks for the review... it shows how much I need to dust of my 9128 and spend some time practicing. I think I just need to develop some patience and find some time. I paid about £ 20 for mine, NOS in the box.

Love the Dubonnet Red in the Esterbrooks, still hunting for a J in that colour - but I really like the ink you used. Couldn't find the name/brand of it though... did I just miss it?
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
- Douglas Adams
Posted Image         Posted Image     Posted Image

#12 Gran

Gran

U. S. A.

• Member - Gold

• 1,291 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 18:00

It is a lovely ink, isn't it?

Edited by Gran, 11 March 2009 - 18:03.

#13 johnboz

johnboz

Old Ink Accumulator

• Member - Gold

• 1,159 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 18:20

The 9128 is truly a fine nib (both in size and quality). I was writing with mine the other day and found it to be a very similar to the 9048, except that it writes a finer line. The amount of flex seems to be about the same.

A word of caution... the 9128 (at least mine) is very pointy for a fountain pen nib. I was cleaning it before I used it, got a little distracted and stabbed my finger with it. It actually drew blood. That was a first for me, but it couldn't have happened with a better nib.
I've got a blog!
Fountain Pen Love

#14 MsLoathsome

MsLoathsome

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:55

QUOTE (pmorin @ Mar 11 2009, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the review... it shows how much I need to dust of my 9128 and spend some time practicing. I think I just need to develop some patience and find some time. I paid about £ 20 for mine, NOS in the box.

Love the Dubonnet Red in the Esterbrooks, still hunting for a J in that colour - but I really like the ink you used. Couldn't find the name/brand of it though... did I just miss it?

Yes! Please tell us the ink you used. Looks great. I just got a 9128 too and my regular handwriting already looks better!
I subscribe to The Rule of 10 (pens, that is)
1) Parker Sonnet 1st gen 2) Pelikan 200 yellow 3) Parker 51 vac 4) Esterbrook trans J 5) Esterbrook LJ "Bell System Property" 6) Sheaffer Snorkel Valiant fern green 7) Waterman 52.5V 8) Parker 75 cisele 9) open 10) open (I'm hankering for a Doric)

#15 Gran

Gran

U. S. A.

• Member - Gold

• 1,291 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 16:47

Am now the delighted owner of an SJ. It is a very pretty pen. Lightweight, slender, and most enjoyable to write with. I've a 9550 nib in it, and it's grand writing! I highly recommend these in the slender, ultra-light pen category.

#16 asimplemaestro

asimplemaestro

Montblancs are like crack...but more expensive.

• Member - Gold

• 1,777 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2009 - 17:28

QUOTE (vermiculus @ Jul 8 2008, 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I absolutely think that a good condition J series with a 9xxx nib is worth $40...

I could not agree more. Show me another pen that lasts as long, is as reliable, has as many interchangeable nib choices, and looks that good for less than $40.

#17 DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2009 - 23:03

I had a 9128 nib come my way quite by accident. I bought a copper SJ at an antique mall for $16. The poor light in the store kept me from clearly seeing the nib number other than it was a 9xxx series. Once I got outside into the sunlight I saw it was a 9128. Once I got home again I found out just how big a score that was. smile.gif

#18 Peter from Sherwood Park

Peter from Sherwood Park

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,973 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 03:38

Great review -- I am still keeping my eyes open for one of these nibs.

#19 Rob G

Rob G

Ester-broke

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2009 - 21:14

There are a couple of eBay sellers who have them.

I only got my SJ four days ago, with a 1550 nib. This morning I ordered a 9128 for three times what the pen cost. But, hey, since they're not made anymore, it's a seller's market, so what's a body to do?

I figure on getting a 9550, as well, so I'll have one soft and one rigid EF. Then, of course, I'll have to get another pen body because I'll want them both available. And then I'll require a third one, for a stub. And then, after that ...

Rob G

"Sacred cows make the best hamburger." - Mark Twain

#20 pmorin

pmorin

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 19:52

QUOTE (Rob G @ Apr 25 2009, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are a couple of eBay sellers who have them.

I only got my SJ four days ago, with a 1550 nib. This morning I ordered a 9128 for three times what the pen cost. But, hey, since they're not made anymore, it's a seller's market, so what's a body to do?

I figure on getting a 9550, as well, so I'll have one soft and one rigid EF. Then, of course, I'll have to get another pen body because I'll want them both available. And then I'll require a third one, for a stub. And then, after that ...

Rob,
There's about 33 nibs.... so you should start planning now biggrin.gif

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
- Douglas Adams
Posted Image         Posted Image     Posted Image

Sponsored Content

|