Hero 616 Jumbo

I was under the impression that the 616 Jumbo is the same size as the standard Parker 51. Can anyone who has both confirm or deny this?

Thanks

Dan

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DanF

• 3x2

• davidwholt

• RevAaron

Top Posters In This Topic

I was under the impression that the 616 Jumbo is the same size as the standard Parker 51. Can anyone who has both confirm or deny this?

Thanks

Dan

I have both. The diameters are close enough that you can swap caps, although I don't know if the inner caps fit properly. The other dimensions are pretty similar, although I haven't compared them with vernier callipers.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Thanks, that's what I thought. Unfortunately, the ones I just received that were supposed to be Jumbos, aren't.

Dan

In a similar vein, is the 616 cap made of stainless steel like on the Hero 329 or is it a plated ultralight material like on the 330?

The Hero 616 cap is plated, and is not ultralight aluminium like the 330.

The clip is magnetic, indicating it's a ferrous material. The main part of the cap is non magnetic, but is too bright to be austenitic stainless steel, so I think it's most likely to be plated brass.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Richard.

Here are a couple of pics of my 51 and the one of the 616 Jumbos I received. the Parker is the larger, darker one. In the second pic, the caps have been exchanged. I inadvertently changed the relative positions of the pens, but it shouldn't be hard to tell which is which.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/P1020075.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/P1020078.jpg

Dan

I had the same thing happen- I wonder if perhaps the size of the so-called 'Jumbo' has changed?

The 616 Jumbo, according to a thread here and supported by data from elsewhere on the web had/is supposed to have these dimensions:

length uncapped: 127 mm

length capped: 140 (depends on how hard you cap)

length cap posted: 146

barrel diameter: 11

Which more or less match a P51. The Hero 616 Jumbos being sold on eBay claim to have a posted length of 5.75", which is consistent with the above measurement of 146mm.

The pens I got yesterday have these dimensions:

length uncapped: 121 mm

length capped: 134

length cap posted: 139

barrel diameter: 9

The person who sold me the Jumbo 616s told me that he had non-jumbo 616s as well, and that they had these measurements:

Uncapped: 116mm

Capped: 127mm

Posted: 134mm

barrel diameter: 9mm

odd, eh?

Aaron

WTB: Lamy 27 w/ OB/OBB nibs; Pelikan 100 B nib

With regards to the Hero 100, which I understand is their best 51 clone,

(in the $30+ range)

how close is it in length, diameter and weight to the real thing?

Collected ballpoints for decades, found FPN early June

after ordering Pilot BeGreen >70% post-consumer recycled content rollerballs.

Now have Parker Frontier, Pilot 78G, Pelikan M200, Rotring Core,

Reform 1745 from JJBlanche, Hero 616 & 257 from JDlugosz, Pilot Knight & Dux 612.

Aron---My 51 measures 138mm capped, 153 posted, and barrel diameter is 11 at widest. My 616's are the same measurements as yours. I find them to be too skinny for comfortable use.

Dan

Edited by DanF

(in the $30+ range)

David- I don't have a 51 (yet!), but I do have a Hero 100 (sorta- in the mail back to Todd at iSellPens). From what I understand, the Hero 100 is almost the exact same size as a 51, to the point that you can even swap caps. The Hero 100 is lighter, how much I can't say. I *think* my Hero 100, uninked was about 20 grams.

The Hero 100 is a very nice pen for the money. Though I wish the 616s I got were the true Jumbos, they're not bad pens for the money- but the Hero 100 is a much nicer pen, and it shows.

Regards,

Aaron

WTB: Lamy 27 w/ OB/OBB nibs; Pelikan 100 B nib

Hi Aaron,

Received and filled my first 616's, 3 of them actually.

Pretty impressed so far.

Not sure I love the aerometric sac, prefer the way piston and slide converters fill.

Have you done side-by-side comparison of 616 vs 100 (back from isellpens?) yet?

David

(in the $30+ range)

David- I don't have a 51 (yet!), but I do have a Hero 100 (sorta- in the mail back to Todd at iSellPens). From what I understand, the Hero 100 is almost the exact same size as a 51, to the point that you can even swap caps. The Hero 100 is lighter, how much I can't say. I *think* my Hero 100, uninked was about 20 grams.

The Hero 100 is a very nice pen for the money. Though I wish the 616s I got were the true Jumbos, they're not bad pens for the money- but the Hero 100 is a much nicer pen, and it shows.

Regards,

Aaron

Collected ballpoints for decades, found FPN early June

after ordering Pilot BeGreen >70% post-consumer recycled content rollerballs.

Now have Parker Frontier, Pilot 78G, Pelikan M200, Rotring Core,

Reform 1745 from JJBlanche, Hero 616 & 257 from JDlugosz, Pilot Knight & Dux 612.