The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sheaffer Imperial "Frankenpen"

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OldGriz

OldGriz

I Assimilated The Borg

• Remembered Fondly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,163 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2006 - 15:33

This is a Sheaffer White Dot Imperial... a nice modern Cartridge/Converter filler, no longer made. I bought this from Ted Manullang here on FPN
This is a "FrankenPen".. it started it's life as a Rollerball and was converted to Fountain Pen by the Ted...
Measures 5" closed, 5.75" capped and .437" Diameter... a nice comfortable size pen in brushed stainless steel.. not at all heavy...
The original nib was Broad, but Ted had it reground to a Broad Stub Italic... puts down a beautiful smooth wet line.. a bit too broad for my handwriting, but prints well for me (See example below).. Of course it does make for a very stunning signature...
Best thing was the price... $25 including shipping..
Posted Image
TomPosted Image
A veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in This country who no longer understand it.

Sponsored Content

#2 Sharkle

Sharkle

BPillar

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 20:05

Nice pen, Old Griz! I have a stainless Cross pen and it's very light and comfortable. I like metal pens in general, and your handsome Sheaffer here makes me want to try one of that brand--thanks for the info and pics. Great price, too. And btw you have lovely handwriting

#3 wimg

wimg

Stip Etruria nut :)

• FPN Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,180 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 January 2006 - 20:13

Wow! That looks like a very nice writer indeed, Tom!

Thanks for sharing!

Warm regards, WIm

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

#4 randyholhut

randyholhut

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 20:44

At the risk of quibbling, I wouldn't call it a "frankenpen." I'd call it taking advantage of Sheaffer's production design.

The Targa, the original style No Nonsense, the Balance II and the Triumph Imperial are all pens that use interchangable bodies, so you can easily go from RB to FP with these pens. I'm sure Sheaffer did when they were making them.

To me, frankenpen means a melange of parts in a pen. This doesn't qualify.

Plus, the Triumph Imperial Flighter is a great pen no matter how you get it. Solid as a Legacy at a fraction of the price.

#5 PenHero

PenHero

Sheaffer Collector

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,761 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 January 2006 - 21:46

At the risk of quibbling, I wouldn't call it a "frankenpen." I'd call it taking advantage of Sheaffer's production design.

The Targa, the original style No Nonsense, the Balance II and the Triumph Imperial are all pens that use interchangable bodies, so you can easily go from RB to FP with these pens. I'm sure Sheaffer did when they were making them.

Plus, the Triumph Imperial Flighter is a great pen no matter how you get it. Solid as a Legacy at a fraction of the price.

I agree completely. Sheaffer made the barrels on these pens so that the only thing needed to "convert" a fountain pen barrel to a rollerball barrel would be to add the correct spring. The barrel has a post for the spring down at the bottom.

This Triumph Imperial is "converted" if we are being "precise". :D

I would use the term "Frankenpen" for things like cap / barrel mismatch swaps and such.

Great that your pen could be converted!

Edited by PenHero, 29 January 2006 - 21:48.

#6 DeaconKC

DeaconKC

Professional Predator Hunter

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:56

I just got one of these in a medium nib today and am very impressed by what a smooth writer this pen is. Gorgeous nib!
Let courage rise with danger, and strength to strength oppose.
There is no snooze button on a cat wanting breakfast.
Posted Image

#7 HerosNSuch

HerosNSuch

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:01

QUOTE (PenHero @ Jan 29 2006, 04:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (randyholhut @ Jan 29 2006, 03:44 PM)

I agree completely. Sheaffer made the barrels on these pens so that the only thing needed to "convert" a fountain pen barrel to a rollerball barrel would be to add the correct spring. The barrel has a post for the spring down at the bottom.

This Triumph Imperial is "converted" if we are being "precise". biggrin.gif

I would use the term "Frankenpen" for things like cap / barrel mismatch swaps and such.

Great that your pen could be converted!

Calling this a Frankenpen is almost like calling an Esterbrook a Frankenpen because it came with a 9550 and you swapped in a 9556. It's all the same model, the same color, and the method of putting ink to paper is derived from the next one over in the gift set. I agree with "converted" in this case.
"If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith."
-Albert Einstein

Posted Image Posted Image

BP/Pencil set trade

Sponsored Content

|