Chicago Pen Stores

Philip1209

I visited Century Pens in Chicago recently and was surprised some of the brand names, Parker, Pelikan and other brands were not in stock. Also there were no customers as per-usual in what I consider the best fountain pen shop in Chicago.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kit4pens

• Philip1209

• Tweel

• MaxP

That's strange. I was in Century Pens recently too, and they had a good selection of new and vintage pens (we picked up a 50th anniversary Vanishing Point, a Kaweco AL Sport Raw, and a red ripple Waterman 52V), and customers too. Some kind of Brigadoon effect?

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

• 1 month later...

That's strange. I was in Century Pens recently too, and they had a good selection of new and vintage pens (we picked up a 50th anniversary Vanishing Point, a Kaweco AL Sport Raw, and a red ripple Waterman 52V), and customers too. Some kind of Brigadoon effect?

Was at Century pens today. Spent close to an hour browsing pens, yet, not another customer in sight.

Century Pens ran monthly manufacturer days a short while ago, with a great variety of companies, and I put them all on my calendar but didn't go (mostly due to schedule conflicts).

Last time I was there I had a great talk with the sales guy, but I just can't get past the high prices in stores. Even with discounts the prices tend to be above what you can find online, and I can usually get the feedback I need from customer reviews or FPN posts without actually handling pens.

Graham

Yes, Ed Hamilton/Century Pens is THE pen store in Chicago. He does have an annual sale, and he knows my budget so he didn't try to tempt me with something I couldn't afford. I'm always happy there, except for the limited inks; but he has my go-tos: Aurora Blue and Black. For the rest...well, that's what the Ink Drop is for, right?

A more important issue: Chicago Pizza. Which Gino's East (that's the correct name--if it's just "Gino's" you were in the wrong place) you go to makes a huge difference because of the seasoning of the pans. Ya gotta go to the one on Wells St., which still has the original pans from the old Superior St. location (not to be confused with the new Superior St. location). And get the "patty style" sausage. As Duff Goldman descriged it "sausage as big as your face". And that corn meal crust....I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. :puddle:

We Chicago folks take our local food seriously; have you ever seen our reaction when someone asks for ketchup on their hot dog??!?!? :yikes:

And then there's Chicken Vesuvio........

Pam

I would be in serious trouble. ;) I'd be looking for the nearest Pizza Hut and ketchup only on my hot dog (and hamburger- can't stand cheese on any kind of meat; I'd be in trouble in Philly probably).

I've only been to the MB boutique in O'Hare. Didn't know there were pen shops up there.

Smith Premier No. 4

I've only been to the MB boutique in O'Hare. Didn't know there were pen shops up there.

There's a boutique at the 900 North Michigan Shops mall, too.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

• 2 months later...

I will be travelling to Chicago next week and was wondering if there are any suggestions where I can purchase fountain pen ink.

My options in Canada tend to be online, online and ....online. It would be nice to cosy up to a large selection and to home some ink, particularly Noodler's.

Any advice?

What's with Century Pens' hours?

I live in the west suburbs, and I work. Therefore, I can't go to Century Pens at all -- because they have no weekend hours, and aren't open evenings. I'd like to go and check some pens out in person, but I'm not going to take a day off work to do so.

@artibasos I went to Paradise Pen @ Oakbrook Mall and had a nice experience. There were nice people who wanted to help out. @Pira, if you want to go to the suburbs, they carry Private Reserve and Montblanc ink, but I didn't see any Noodler's on display when I went there. They might carry some though, you can ask. I know there are other Paradise Pen locations in IL too, so check if there's one downtown. I don't visit downtown too often so I don't know if there is one.

Deep dish pizza and porterhouse steaks are still great reasons to visit Chicago. Specialty retail stores are something of a dying breed. There used to be a nice pen shop in Woodfield Mall;they relocated in a rather obscure location on Busse Road in Mount Prospect.

Such is life. Eating too much deep dish pizza and steak will invariably make you more quickly dying too, but at least you may go with a contented smile.

Deep dish pizza and porterhouse steaks are still great reasons to visit Chicago. Specialty retail stores are something of a dying breed. There used to be a nice pen shop in Woodfield Mall;they relocated in a rather obscure location on Busse Road in Mount Prospect.

Such is life. Eating too much deep dish pizza and steak will invariably make you more quickly dying too, but at least you may go with a contented smile.

I signed back into FPN after years of inactivity and was amused to see this thread still among the most recent. I was in Chicago recently and I was surprised to see that my favorite microroaster/coffee shop in the area, Bow Truss, had expanded to a downtown location.

Thanks for the Review! Having been a lifelong resident of Orland park, Illinois, just Southwest of Chi town! pardon the pun with my moniker! ha, ha, ha,.....I now live in Albuquerque, New Mexico for the last 18 years! But approx. 3 years ago I went to Chi Town and visited the shops that you speak of.....what a shame as it was on a Sunday and they were both closed! I was heart broken! So I settled not for geno's but for Uno's of Uno's and Duo's Pizza fame just off the magnificent mile! At least I got something outta the deal that day! But I would have much better settle for a pen and ink like you did......My plan's for next year are to go to the Chi Town Pen show and hopefully hit those pens stores and ohh yes, Duo's this time! For a stuffed Chi Town pizza.....

• 2 months later...

I only had time to visit Gilbertson Clyburn on my next to most recent Chicago visit. I didn't really look at all he stocked, but Dan the Pen Man had Visconti. I ended up buying a Michelangelo with rose gold trim and a Lamy converter. When Dan learned I was from out of state he offered to ship the pen to save me the tax. I chose to buy the pen there, but appreciated that Dan tried to save me (tax) money. He also gave me a box of Waterman cartridge ink.

I don't have expectations of what a pen store should look like. I appreciate what they stock. My local Kansas City Missouri pen store, The Pen Place is in a mall but sounds more like Century with the glass. But it can't be the same. The Pen Place has Pelikans in a variety of sizes, Mont Blanc, lower priced Visconti, Lamy, Namiki/Pilot, Acme and I've probably missed some but I expect they have Waterman. I know The Pen Place has more at the retail store than their website shows.

I think we're lucky to still have brick and mortar pen shops. It's good when there are two that the atmosphere or aesthetics are not the same, variety being the spice of life. Sorry if I went on too long about a non-Chicago store.

Posted Image

Fascinating post for an ex-Chicagoan. I bought my Pelikan 750 Jubilee gold FB there around 1988. And I have wonderful memories of the original Gino's East on Superior from the 70s and 80s. I can't comment on their current location as I only went there one time shortly after they moved. Yes, deep dish pizza is a passion in Chicago.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I just visited Century Pens this week while on a business trip to Chicago. I looked forward to it as I do on many business trips where I try to carve out some time to visit any local stores. I arrived at their shop later in the day and was greeted almost immediately. From the moment I arrived I felt very welcome like my being there was important to the gentlemen who run the shop. What started as me intending to just drop in ended up turning in to a wonderful discussion with the shop's owner about pens, the state of the hobby and the merits of many brands.

When in any pen shop I try to limit asking to dip anything I am not seriously interested in purchasing. In the case of my visit to Century, they offered to let me dip a variety of pens. I truly felt that it was not at all about getting me to purchase something as much as it was their passion for showing off their merchandise. In the end, I was looking for a "throw-it-in-my-pocket-anytime-won't-crush-my-world-if-something-happened-to-it," kind of pen. I left with a Kaweco Student, which is one they offered to let me dip. I love the pen, but more than that, I truly enjoyed the experience and the wonderful discussion with these fine gentlemen

with customer service that was just about the npbest I have ever experienced, not just at pen shops, but anywhere.

If n Chicago, please pay them a visit.

Edited by Javert34

• 4 weeks later...

last Sept I visited Century Pens when I was in Chicago for a conference. I had the same experience that Javert34 had. In fact, I bought a Kaweco Student too and some ink. The most valuable thing I walked away with was the experience of talking fountain pens, paper, ink and the fun of it all with the owner. I will be back!

• 1 year later...

Just came back from a business trip to Chicago and I'm glad I read your various reviews about Century Pens. You are right. Ed Hamilton is a great man--patient, knowledgeable and a pleasure to deal with. He knows the history of the industry, of each pen and has a nice selection. Just purchased the Diplomat Aero in a beautifully machined stainless steel format with a Broad nib. He will be shipping it to me, as the Aero typically comes in F and M. Very impressed with this store and Ed and will make it a point to return when I'm back in the Windy City.