The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Goldfüllfederkonig Elite

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Blatherscribe

Blatherscribe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 01:54

Fascinating... congratulations on finding such an amazing pen, and thank you for sharing it with us. smile.gif

Sponsored Content

#22 Bill

Bill

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 03:00

A bit of follow up:

I have been carrying the pen in the felt wrap stuffed inside a cloth Crown Royal bag and then carried inside a briefcase/computer bag. Most of the time it stays horizontal. Sometimes it gets jostled around by other objects and once was left in a hot car all day.

Through all this it has never failed to start instantly despite being used only every 2 to 3 days, and once going unused for about five days. During the same time three popular high-end modern pens in the rotation got grumpy. There has been no leaking and it has not misbehaved once. I've been meaning to take it out of the rotation, but it's such a jolt of fun to pull out and use.

Why can't some of my modern pens behave as good as this one?

Bill

#23 omasfan

omasfan

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,503 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 04:06

Great review and great pictures! This is quite a catch. I love the glass nib and the blue celluloid with the specks. thumbup.gif

#24 sgl

sgl

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:28

What an fantastic find and thank you for your sharing and beautiful pictures. Wonder how is the pen now. 

#25 Inked

Inked

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 October 2013 - 22:45

Any flex? :)

A late thank you for a great review and pen.

Inked

#26 dgerson

dgerson

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 October 2013 - 23:57

Holy thread revival!

#27 amk

amk

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,911 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2013 - 15:42

Well since the thread has woken up....

The celluloid also looks very similar to an Osmia Supra Minor I have; the little white swirls are quite distinctive. Wonder if Pelikan Elite and Osmia all used the same supplier?

That's a really lovely pen. I see the occasional glass nib pen turn up in France but the ones I've seen are either black or woodgrain ebonite - nothing as pretty as yours. Nice to know how well it works, too - I don't usually fall for them when I see them in junk shops or sales, but I might take the plunge next time one shows up.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

#28 RGH

RGH

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:34

Cool thread revival.

I'm a potter in my spare time, and I've often wondered about making a pen in porcelain (I have some glazes that are pretty nice) ... but I could never figure out how to get a nib to work. I may have to go out to the garage and play with valleys in rifle bullets ...

#29 raging.dragon

raging.dragon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2013 - 22:50

Instead of trying to make a ceramic nib, how about a ceramic pen that takes standard JoWo, Bock or Pelikan nibs? Montblanc made (make?) a pen with a cap and barrel of Meissen porcealain, metal section and trim, and a standard MB 146 nib.

#30 Bill

Bill

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:10

Thread revival, indeed.  Thanks for the comments.

Regarding the celluloid:  I am far from expert on 80-year old European pens but would not be surprised if the same barrel material was used by others, too. I was told that the shop in Vienna was small.  It seems logical that the maker would not manufacture its own celluloid blanks.

Regarding how the pen is now:  Well, I kept it in the rotation until other lovelies pushed it aside, then flushed it and put it in the main pen storage cabinet.  Looking at the dates on this thread, that was about five years ago!   When I get home next month, I plan to see how it is doing ;-)

#31 Ursus

Ursus

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 December 2013 - 15:06

That is simply amazing! Sad that they did not keep on making them - after all, glass is cheaper than gold...

Sponsored Content

|