Toronto International Pen Show Announcement #3

Bill Smith

Not sure I can lay claim to that monkier, but I will be grinding nibs at the show. :)

Cheers,

Sean

I will testefy Sean is a great pen tech,many of my pens went through his hands with great satisfaction.

I'll second that. Sean has ground two stubs and tweaked several other nibs for me and he does excellent work. I have to be coy on this, although I have it in writing, but Sean's work is highly regarded by a certain esteemed nibmeister in the USA.

Bryan

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes." Winston S. Churchill

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SMG

• goodguy

• Bill Smith

• MikeW

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a vendor coming up from The States who would be willing to bring and sell me a few Crane's items? I've fallen in love with a stationary box and a leather journal but Crane's does not ship to Canada. It occurred to me that perhaps there is someone coming to the Toronto show next weekend who would be willing to act as retailer, with usual markup. The box is the one for $125 and the journal is $65. If anyone is interested, pls send me a PM and I'll be more specific.

The problem is that this idea has just come to me and it's getting tight for time. Crane's says 2-6 days for their shipping. This might not be feasible but I'm throwing it out here anyways.

Is there a vendor coming up from The States who would be willing to bring and sell me a few Crane's items? I've fallen in love with a stationary box and a leather journal but Crane's does not ship to Canada. It occurred to me that perhaps there is someone coming to the Toronto show next weekend who would be willing to act as retailer, with usual markup. The box is the one for $125 and the journal is $65. If anyone is interested, pls send me a PM and I'll be more specific.

The problem is that this idea has just come to me and it's getting tight for time. Crane's says 2-6 days for their shipping. This might not be feasible but I'm throwing it out here anyways.

Hi,

Good question, Note Bene sells stationary at our show but I don't know if they are a Crane dealer or not. Now next skill testing question are you flying in or driving down from Montreal? There are a couple of places in Greater Toronto where you can buy it. I can give you directions where to go before you drive back to Montreal.

Contact me backchannel for addresses

Bill

"Life moves pretty fast, if you do not stop and look around once and a while you might just miss it."

Ferris Bueller

Bill Smith's Photography

Just a quick note to say that Bill has provided me with some retailers here in Canada where I should be able to order my Crane products. So no need for anyone to smuggle fine stationary across the border for me ;-)

I've never been to a pen show, but I think this might be my first. I am looking for a Waterman Edson FP. Will the Vendors likely have a selection of these and will the prices be competitive with ebay ($300-500)? Thanks

Alas Pentiques could not attend this year. However Doug Vicorey is coming up and we have some other dealers sign up at the last minute.

"Life moves pretty fast, if you do not stop and look around once and a while you might just miss it."

Ferris Bueller

Bill Smith's Photography

Alas Pentiques could not attend this year. However Doug Vicorey is coming up and we have some other dealers sign up at the last minute.

I'm leaving in the morning to head up there. I'm hoping to spend some time in Toronto before the show. Usually I stick around for the day after the show, but am doing it in reverse order this year.

I'm bringing a nice selection of inexpensive pens, a few vintage, and some nicer lightly used pieces from Delta, CS, Visconti and others. I also have a few watches, some ink, and some paper products. Finally a few pen cases and a nice Parker Duofold pen chest. Looking forward to seeing everybody.

best,

Doug (Vicary)

Look forward to seeing you again Doug.

Ferris Bueller

Bill Smith's Photography

Everything is set for another London Pen Club road trip (alas, only half could attend, but between you and me, its the better half! :ltcapd: ). We leave London bright and early, stop for a nice breakfast in Cambridge, and should be there around opening time!

Going to be fun, fun, fun - see you there!

MikeW

"In the land of fountain pens, the one with the sweetest nib reigns supreme!"

Check out the London Pen Club.

Hi Everyone,

Show time starts at 9:30 am. Ok a little house keeping, up until noon we have the innaugral handwriting contest Write On! Here is your chance to win a Waterman Expert Fountain Pen with your name on it literally. Again the contest is only until 12 noon, after that it's closed.

Secondly, parking, here's how it works for the Hilton. Ninty nine point nine percent of facilities up by the airport, you have to pay for parking. With the Hilton if you are just planning to stay for a couple of hours, grab a ticket by enterance and pay as you leave just like the automated parking garages. IF YOU PLAN TO STAY FOR THE DAY, track down Sharie or myself and we will get you set up with a day parking pass for $10 ($15 if you bought from the machine).

For those taking public transit there is a TTC bus that goes past called the 58a Malton that leaves Lawrence West Station on the subway line.

Last minute dealers, set up time is between 7:30 and 9:30 am. 6' table is $100 and an 8' is $125, first come first served.

See you at the show

Ferris Bueller

Bill Smith's Photography

Just got an email, Brian from Edison Pens, his car packed it in (blown radiator) near home in Ohio so his chances of getting in for the show are pretty slim to none. Worst case Edison Pens will be here next year.

Ferris Bueller

Bill Smith's Photography

Hi Bill and Shari:

I enjoyed the show very much and was impressed that the turnout was so good. Lots of customers -- I had trouble getting to the tables between 10 and 11 this morning, there were so many looking and trying out the merchandise!

Special thanks to all the merchants who were so pleasant and helpful. It was a relaxed and friendly environment. I came home with two pens and some related items - ink, paper, emphemera. It was a good show and worth the trip in from Niagara.

Thanks to all who put so much into making this year's event a success.

(Wish my handwriting had won one of those terrific prizes -- but I saw what I was up against and knew my chances were slim. Oh well, it was fun to try out my new FP at the contest table!)

Maggie R.

PS - this is my first FPN post -- happy to have the chance to say hello to all my S. Ontario compadres. There are obviously quite a few of us now.

PPS - I wish that we had FPN pins to wear so that we could easily strike up conversations with others at pen shows. Any chance of that happening?

Hi Everyone,

Show time starts at 9:30 am. Ok a little house keeping, up until noon we have the innaugral handwriting contest Write On! Here is your chance to win a Waterman Expert Fountain Pen with your name on it literally. Again the contest is only until 12 noon, after that it's closed.

Secondly, parking, here's how it works for the Hilton. Ninty nine point nine percent of facilities up by the airport, you have to pay for parking. With the Hilton if you are just planning to stay for a couple of hours, grab a ticket by enterance and pay as you leave just like the automated parking garages. IF YOU PLAN TO STAY FOR THE DAY, track down Sharie or myself and we will get you set up with a day parking pass for $10 ($15 if you bought from the machine).

For those taking public transit there is a TTC bus that goes past called the 58a Malton that leaves Lawrence West Station on the subway line.

Last minute dealers, set up time is between 7:30 and 9:30 am. 6' table is $100 and an 8' is $125, first come first served.

See you at the show

Maggie Rose,

Thank you for the kind words, talking to dealers and show goers, I think the consensus is in, to borrow the words from PFunkster George Clinton, "We tore the roof off that sucker!"

The 2008 show was a great success and I thank the dealers for coming out Thanksgiving weekend (for the Yanks Columbus Day) and all the pen collectors who came out. Thank you for making it possible. The biggest thanks goes out to our sponsor Parker Waterman Canada and the Canadian Fine Writing Sales Manager Clint Bowman.

The 2009 Toronto International Pen Show is back at the Airport Toronto Hilton and six tables have already been reserved.

Hi Bill and Shari:

I enjoyed the show very much and was impressed that the turnout was so good. Lots of customers -- I had trouble getting to the tables between 10 and 11 this morning, there were so many looking and trying out the merchandise!

Special thanks to all the merchants who were so pleasant and helpful. It was a relaxed and friendly environment. I came home with two pens and some related items - ink, paper, emphemera. It was a good show and worth the trip in from Niagara.

Thanks to all who put so much into making this year's event a success.

(Wish my handwriting had won one of those terrific prizes -- but I saw what I was up against and knew my chances were slim. Oh well, it was fun to try out my new FP at the contest table!)

Maggie R.

PS - this is my first FPN post -- happy to have the chance to say hello to all my S. Ontario compadres. There are obviously quite a few of us now.

PPS - I wish that we had FPN pins to wear so that we could easily strike up conversations with others at pen shows. Any chance of that happening?

Hi Everyone,

See you at the show

Ferris Bueller

Bill Smith's Photography

One more post before I head off on my morning hike along the Bruce Trail outside of Belfountain Ontario, I just sing the praises of Sean Gosse's nib tuning. I had a medium nib Pelikan M800 with a slightly mis-aligned tine and even prior to that it was not the best writing Pelikan in my flock. Sean made that pen the nicest writer in my collection almost on par with my brown Parker Vac Maxima.

There is no need to send our sick pens across the border anymore.

Edited by Bill Smith

Ferris Bueller

Bill Smith's Photography

Bill, thanks for the kind words, but perhaps even more for your efforts with Sharie to bring the Toronto pen show to a new level.

I got there very early, about 8:00 in the morning and set up fairly quickly. Before I could even get my tools spread out on the bench I had three customers. The fun continued until 5:00 for me, I was literally fixing pens up to the last minute of the show. At times I had lineups of 5 people and many more inspecting the pens I had for sale.

I did not get a chance to stand up from working on pens until at least 1:00 or so. I took a 15 minute break and was able to get a small bite to eat before I was back at the grindstone (well, dremel and grinding disc at least). There were some very challenging requests by clients, and I was glad for that. This was my third show ever and I got to stretch my grinding to the max. Many many requests for XXXF nibs, which are not easy at the best of times, sitting at home with no audience. I managed to grind one clients pen to an XXF which thrilled her completely, as she had previously sent it to the manufacturer twice to get a finer nib and they could not accomodate her. She actually told me that I was "awesome" which made my day.

There was also a young woman, about 13 or so, who received her first pen from her Grandfather yesterday. She brought it to my table to have it tuned and make sure that it fit with herwriting style. This was incredible that she felt the need to do so, and also understood that fountain pens were not the same as ballpoints and could be tuned to an individual. The pen was tuned (really all I did was open up the flow a bit) and returned to her. I told her that such a pretty pink and purple pen would be the envy of all her friends and her face lit up the room. That was one job that there was no payment necessary, her smile and the hug she gave her Grandfather was enough for me.

The show had great traffic and much more buzz this year. The room was fantastic, the location of the hotel easy to get to, and well stocked with breakfast and coffee in the morning. The Hilton did a great job of catering to the needs of pen lovers. Bill and Sharie should be commended for putting on a great show, one which will only get better next year I am sure.

I was pleased to see Sleuth and Statesman, Boutique du Stylo, Laywines, Clint from Parker and Waterman, Russel from Note Bene, Doug Vicary, Pearce (penpalace here on FPN)and Terry from Toronto, David Bidner and Rocco from Toronto, and many more who I forget at the moment (my apologies, the coffee has not kicked in yet this morning). I was also pleased to see the addition of a new Pen and Stationary store which opened in Cambridge whom I unfortunately cannot recall the name of at the moment. Heck I didn't even get a chance to see all of the tables, every time I got up to stretch my legs and check out a table, I would be brought back to my table by someone wanting work done. Not that I am complaining though, it was a very good show for me.

By the way, I have already booked my table for next year. :thumbup:

Thanks again Bill and Sharie, congratulations on a very successful show.

Cheers,

Sean

PenRx is no longer in business.

Bill,

It was a pleasure meeting you and the dealers/traders that I had a chance to speak with yesterday (although it was difficult to take too much of their time because of the heavy traffic!). There was a great mix of pens, ink, cases and paper to choose from as well as expert repair services from Sean (PenRx.ca). While I will do a more detailed post of the show on the London Pen Club blog, I can say without reservation that those of us from London had a fabulous time.

My congratulations to you and Sharie on a job well done - I am glad to see the two of you rewarded for your patience, hard work and determination. A big thanks as well to Parker Waterman Canada for their sponsorship and to all those dealers and traders who had a table!

Thanks very much for a terrific day!

Mike

MikeW

I see that Sean and I prepared our posts at the same time.

Let me say that I can attest to Sean's enthusiasm and desire to help everyone who needed it. I talked to him briefly while he sat down for his lunch, which was more like a quick fix to keep him going.

MikeW

The Toronto Pen Show was indeed a terrific event. I purchased one pen ( a yummy Signum Orione from Lorne) and some notebooks from Russell at Note Bene. It was great meeting him and even though I needed more notebooks like I need more pens, ink etc, I couldn't resist.

Thanks to Bill and Shari for a job well done. :thumbup:

I'm extremely lucky to belong to a pen club where I have access to one of the best pen technicians, and now official nibmeister of Canada

:notworthy1:

And I was both shocked and delighted to learn of the Phidon Pen shop which is located within walking distance of my apartment. :headsmack:

I'm going to be going for a walk much more frequently. Excercise is very important! :bunny01: :roflmho:

Fountain Pen Abundance

Thank you Karin, Phidon is the name of the shop I was trying to remember.

Glad you had a great time at the show.

Cheers,

Sean

Edited by SMG

PenRx is no longer in business.