Do nibs turn in the pen ?

bilbok

I got a AD 2000 on ebay.

I removed the nib and the part behind it.

I put it back and I can turn the nib and the black part easily in the pen. Is it normal ?

The black part is made of some transparent plastic. Is it normal ?

This is my first expensive fountain pen so I don't know what is normal.

Thanks

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bilbok

• ANM

• jmkeuning

• JJBlanche

Top Posters In This Topic

The nib and feed should not turn in the pen. Incidentally, it's the section that the nib and feed fit into.

And yes, transparent plastic is used in feeds. I do not know about the AD specifically.

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

Are the nibs in Dunhill pens designed to be removed by an untrained hand? You may have damaged something.

...why did you remove the nib anyway?

Edited by JJBlanche

Are the nibs in Dunhill pens designed to be removed by an untrained hand? You may have damaged something.

How do you remove a nib when you are trained ?

Edited by bilbok

The nib and feed should not turn in the pen. Incidentally, it's the section that the nib and feed fit into.

And yes, transparent plastic is used in feeds. I do not know about the AD specifically.

It is supposed to be a Namiki nib.

There might be a catch or require some special tool (ie. a knockout block) for removing a nib. User removable nibs will just unscrew.

If you can take some pictures that might help give a better idea of your plight.

Everyman, I will go with thee

and be thy guide,

In thy most need to go

by thy side.

-Knowledge

There might be a catch or require some special tool (ie. a knockout block) for removing a nib. User removable nibs will just unscrew.

If you can take some pictures that might help give a better idea of your plight.

Seems like a piece of plastic is broken on the black plastic. I remove it by unscrewing.

What does it change if the nib can turn ? Will the writing be different ?

I have some ink that apear on the nib when I write. Is it normal or it may come from the fact that the nib turns ?

I purchased some pens as a lot from eBay

and being new to those kinds of pens I didn't

realize I should check them to be sure the feeds

and nibs were tight. (not screw in, just push ins)

Apparently they weren't tight because I

was faced with, in one instance, a cap

full of ink that splashed all over

my clothes when I uncapped it and in the second instance

a pen that suddenly gushed ink all over

everything when I was writing with it. (it had been working just fine

for days)

So yeah, if the nib isn't tight against the feed, or the

feed isn't tight into the section it's inserted in it

could be a problem for you.

Current daily users: Pilot VP with Diamine Teal, Waterman Phileas M Cursive Italic with Arabian Rose, and a black Reform M CI with Copper Burst

I don't know about the Ad 2000 but they are made by Namiki and the Namiki 823 has a nib and feed that are pressure or friction fitted and they will rotate and/or pull out of the section. If yours has the same kind of arrangement, but it does not move while you are writing with it, and nothing is actually broken, then it should be just fine.

Edited by ANM

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

I don't know about the Ad 2000 but they are made by Namiki and the Namiki 823 has a nib and feed that are pressure or friction fitted and they will rotate and/or pull out of the section. If yours has the same kind of arrangement, but it does not move while you are writing with it, and nothing is actually broken, then it should be just fine.

When I write, the nib doesn't turn.

I can also move the nib from left to right while the back plastic part (how do you call it?) stays in place.

It's called a section. You problem means that the nib and feed are not seated in the section properly.

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

It's called a section. You problem means that the nib and feed are not seated in the section properly.

I talk about the teethy pastic part on which the nib stays.

The teethy plastic part behind the nib is the feed. The part of the pen where they go in is the section. My Namiki Custom 832 nib and feed will turn in the section or pull out of the section fairly easily and it is normal for this pen. However, most nibs and feeds fit in the section much more tightly.

The teethy plastic part behind the nib is the feed. The part of the pen where they go in is the section. My Namiki Custom 832 nib and feed will turn in the section or pull out of the section fairly easily and it is normal for this pen. However, most nibs and feeds fit in the section much more tightly.

I am relived !

So Namiki nibs can easily be removed. It sounds rather practical.

Questions =

1) Is it one of the reason why Namiki nibs are good ?

2) What does it change to the feel of the nib or the writing ?

Thanks.

I am relived !

So Namiki nibs can easily be removed. It sounds rather practical.

Questions =

1) Is it one of the reason why Namiki nibs are good ?

2) What does it change to the feel of the nib or the writing ?

Thanks.

Some Namiki nibs can be easily removed. I have no Conway Stewart pens but I have four Namiki/Pilot pens and two do not pull out or twist in the section as easily as the two which do. The two that do are more high end pens. One is the Custom 823, which I mentioned before and the other is a Maki-e. The two that fit tighter and don't pull out easily are a Falcon and a Scholar (1980's school pen)

My answer to both your questions is no. The nib and the way it writes, in my opinion, has nothing or nearly nothing to do with the way it sits in the section. The quality of the nib performance is in the nib and feed, not that they can pull out more easily than other pens.

There are few pens that the nib can rotate in the section.

1.Parker 75

2.Parker VP

These pens are designed this way.

As for your pen,I dont think it was design to do that and that menas you have a problem.

I'd send it to a pen tech to fix it.

Respect to all

It is hard to tell what you have done to your pen, but the nib should not be rotating easily and the feed should not have anything broken off of it. From what I can understand of your description it sounds like you have broken something but the only way to tell for sure is to take it or send it to a professional pen repair person so they can look at it. It may be simple and inexpensive or it may be costly. Parts for repairing nice pens cost many times what you would expect them to cost considering the price of the pen. It is like a car - you can buy a new car for $25,000 but if you were to buy the same parts one at a time and put them together yourself to make the same car it would cost you $100,000 for those parts.

I'm still wondering why the OP removed the nib in the first place. Was there something wrong with the pen initially?