Recommendation for Mechanical Pencil?

secretasianman

I need mech. pencils sometimes as well.

My two favorite are on the opposite side of the spectrum cost wise.

The Montblanc Voltaire is my nicer of the two. Looks great but not practical for most folks needs of a mech. pencil.

So that leaves what is my absolute favorite......the Pentel Kerry...check it out....

http://www.jetpens.com/advanced_search_res...amp;x=0&y=0

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• secretasianman

• Beechwood

• Breck

• Atlas

For usability, my favorite pencils are the Pentel Graphgear 1000 & Pentel Sharp Kerry. Neither of these have a large eraser, but I use a Staedtler eraser. I used to use one of the original Rotring 600s (with the metal lead tube) & I think these are as good, just different.

For a pencil which has a usable eraser, I like the Staedtler 9505 Integrity. It comes in a two pack which my local Staples stocks. This is the pencil I buy to keep in all my bags & in random places. The Pentel SideFX has a large eraser & a side advance, so that might be a good choice too, but I've never used it (I used to use the original Pentel Twist Erase & the new version of that might be worth a look too).

http://www.pentel.com/

http://www.staedtler-usa.com/Mars_plastic_...?ActiveID=24149

http://www.staedtler-usa.com/integrity_aut...?ActiveID=24172

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the suggestions - really, you are among the most helpful web communities that I have ever seen.

I wanted to edit my original post but the responses came so quickly that I didn't have time to get to a computer so I'll make my additions here:

She's a physics student, and wants something that she can carry around in her pocket or backpack, depending on her mood. That's why the large eraser was important. She finds that she always forgets about the large rubber chunk she has in her bag unless she takes it out right away, and those erasers always get lost anyway. The pentels seemed to be the best bet.

I know she thinks that my safari is the ugliest pen in my small collection.

I have a Pilot Vanishing Point that I use on the rare occasions that I need a pencil. It's available in 0.5mm lead, and the nib "vanishes" inside the body when you are not using it. This might be a useful feature if she is worried about damaging it while it's floating around in her backpack.

I'm also a physics student, and while I now use solely fountain pens, I used to swear solely by Sumogrip pencils. These have the large twist style eraser and are fairly cheap, however they are push advance and have fat barrels (thus the moniker). I personally prefer fatter writing utensils so they suit me perfectly.

I just received a Rotring 600 (old style) pencil, and it's great. It was designed around engineers and mathematicians, so it may suit your purposes.

For a cheap pencil that might fit some of your requirements, have a look at the Staedtler triplus micro 0,5 mm. The eraser is quite long, and the body is a triangle, which for me is quite comfortable. This you will not mind losing, if that happens.

Fil o fax also do their own pencil, neat small and thin, with a good eraser.

The nicest for me is Yard o Led range, particularly the classics.

Take a look at the lamy Scribble 0.5

Ergonomic & unusual ~ I got the thick lead version I was disappointed in the lead quality but the 0.5 would have no problems at all

(Easily Replaceable)

That pencil looks very interesting, but all I see is a 0.7 and a 3.15 (what?). I only use 0.5 lead, where's the 0.5?

In terms of practicality, nothing I have looked at or tried seems to be able to beat the Pentel Quicker Clicker. These are $4.00 pencils, so they aren't really any kind of material for a decent birthday present, but they are the most well-designed mechanical pencil around. They have a big eraser that you can pull out and keep using as it wears down, they have a very solid design and will take a beating, and the clicker mechanism near your finger might bother some, but I find it very convenient.

Nothing expensive or very fancy, but they are hard to find nowdays since they've been discontinued (I assume they've been discontinued anyways)

That link above has the best picture of all of the colors available, blue, red, black and purple. I love these pencils and I stocked up on them when I couldn't find them anymore at wal-mart. You can search "papermate titanium pencil" on amazon and find sellers who are still selling them. I love the way they look, feel and the way they work. If you wanted to carry it in a pocket or a purse you can click it and push the point all the way in so it looks more like a retractable pen, but that's also so you dont poke yourself with it, or poke holes in your pocket or purse.

The Pentel Twist Erase pencils are good also, same size and same eraser function, but they don't retract the point like the Titanium pencil does.

My Husbands Guide to "Flushing" a Fountain Pen.

"I took it to the bathroom first and let it rinse out"

"stuck the tip in the toilet and let the swirly water wash it (the ink) away"

My Blog: Stolen Moments - reviews of various things (mostly notebook/journals, but not very many atm)

My gf is on a search for the ideal mechanical pencil, just as I was on the search for the ideal pen. I thought that as people who appreciate fine writing instruments, you could help me in my endeavor (her birthday is coming soon) to help her on her search. If anyone knows of a mechanical pencil forum or a better place for me to ask this, please also tell me that.

Already mentioned is this site. This website could be interesting too (has a forum and lot's of information about vintage pencils).

Since this is a gift, I don't mind shelling out for her (my budget tops out at aprox $60, but if the quality is that good, I would go slightly above.

For that amount of money you can probably give her two, three or even more mechanical pencils of very good quality. In my opinion, the best mechanical pencils are made by Pentel (Graphgear series, P200/P205) .

She however, will definitely be terrified to losing it (she self admittedly loses many things like this), so I would also love a suggestion for something that fills the top four requirements and costs less than $10 so that she could easily replace it. If anything, finding such an item would be an even better gift in her eyes - writing comfort and the ability to replace it whenever (I would still get her the

--to be edited - she's in the room!

Consider also disposable mechanical pencils (like the Bic Matic) or cheap ones like the Pentel 120 or the Pentel Techniclick.

How about the Lamy Spirit? I'm a huge fan of these pencils, they are super slim, 0.5mm leads and durable as heck. The eraser is very long, but thin and I find it lasts a fair while. There is a small catch which can be moved down to expose more of the eraser when it gets used up. Lamy eraser refills are cheap so I find I can afford to keep all 6 of my Spirit pencils dressed in new erasers without denting my wallet.

In rotation:

Pelikan M400 with Pilot Iroshizuku Momiji

Nakaya Kuro-tame Desk Pen with Platinum Blue

Visconti Van Gogh Maxi with Aurora Black

Twitter: @souveran

• 2 years later...

How about the Lamy Spirit? I'm a huge fan of these pencils, they are super slim, 0.5mm leads and durable as heck. The eraser is very long, but thin and I find it lasts a fair while. There is a small catch which can be moved down to expose more of the eraser when it gets used up. Lamy eraser refills are cheap so I find I can afford to keep all 6 of my Spirit pencils dressed in new erasers without denting my wallet.

Here's a couple that I didn't see listed;

This one's from Japan and has many of the attributes (no side click) that you mentioned. it also comes in pink :)

http://www.jetpens.com/product_info.php/cPath/45_887/products_id/4833

I have one of these from when they were some Sanford

http://www.dickblick.com/products/paper-mate-technician-ii-mechanical-pencil/?wmcp=google&wmcid=products&wmckw=20639-2027

I am a huge fan of the Rotring 600 and consider it probably the best mechanical pencil I've used. Another popular one is the Uni-Ball Mitsubishi Alpha Gel but I consider it way too fat and uncomfortable. Your detail regarding the must-have giant eraser requirement is going to give you difficulties.

For a large eraser, I'd recommend the Staedtler's Remedy. I find it to be a comfortable pencil.

But the one mechanical pencil that I use the most is the Uni-ball Kuru Toga. I find that the original series is more comfortable to hold than the high grade. Jetpens is now carrying an Alpha Gel version, but I haven't tried it yet. In fact I use to hate mechanical pencils, but the Kuru Toga has changed that. The rotating mechanism has made a big difference (less point breakage and little change in point size as you write). The one drawback is a very small eraser.

I know this is completely other to what you were asking about but, as an alternative, the Worther Shorty pencils are great - I recently bought a red one and a wooden one - and both are as cute as but also easy to use, and feel good in the hand. You can get coloured leads as well as plain ol' graphite.

But thick leads, no eraser, not slim or long, and the wooden one has no clip.

Here's their website:

Woerther Shorty

You can buy direct from them, as well.

Just a thought.

Edited by Carrie
Edited by Carrie to fix link.

p.s. I just got the pun of your screen name and it very nearly sent whiskey-and-soda flying out my nose. Well done, sir.

That's funny -- I ALWAYS thought that was what was being sung.....

Given your most important specifications (0.5 lead, large eraser, durable), the obvious choice is the Autopoint All American (current production) or the UTL- ultra thin lead (vintage).

For your other specifications, the Cross Century and Parker Insignia come to mind, but there are others as well; all within your price point. On the other hand, for the same budget, you can give her a set of seven modern Autopoints in different colors, plus some extra erasers and leads. When she gets your "pencil a day" gift, she will think you are a wonderful guy with a lot of imagination. That will pay untold dividends for you.