Recommendation for Mechanical Pencil?

secretasianman

My gf is on a search for the ideal mechanical pencil, just as I was on the search for the ideal pen. I thought that as people who appreciate fine writing instruments, you could help me in my endeavor (her birthday is coming soon) to help her on her search. If anyone knows of a mechanical pencil forum or a better place for me to ask this, please also tell me that.

The important qualification are:

.05 mm lead

LARGE eraser (the kind that are so big that the eraser base is twistable purely to expose more eraser would be ideal)

Durable

Optional qualifications:

Slim - ish form factor (as slim as can be with such a gargantuan eraser)

I think she favors clean, sleek (brushed metal-ish) designs, but this is easily a point of compromise.

"Side - click" preferred but easily compromised.

Since this is a gift, I don't mind shelling out for her (my budget tops out at aprox $60, but if the quality is that good, I would go slightly above.

She however, will definitely be terrified to losing it (she self admittedly loses many things like this), so I would also love a suggestion for something that fills the top four requirements and costs less than $10 so that she could easily replace it. If anything, finding such an item would be an even better gift in her eyes - writing comfort and the ability to replace it whenever (I would still get her the

--to be edited - she's in the room!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• secretasianman

• Beechwood

• pavlosh

• Breck

Well, I'm a wood pencil guy, so I'm no help on this. However, I do regularly read this blog, which has reviews I respect about mechanical pencils.

Good luck!

--Breck

p.s. I just got the pun of your screen name and it very nearly sent whiskey-and-soda flying out my nose. Well done, sir.

Good window-closing action. :thumbup:

Let's see, most of the nice FP's have accompanying pencils, which are usually nice - however, if it's just a great pencil you're looking for, check out www.pencilthings.com and poke around. Obviously, they sell just about every pencil made under the sun. Best of luck on your gift!

Best,

Summer

PS - you COULD get her a nice FP for $60. :rolleyes: (This is the danger of asking that on an FP forum.)

"Can I see Arcturus from where I stand?" -RPW

I recommend a Lamy Twin or Triple Pen. Twin pens come with mechanical pencil and pen while the triple includes a highlighter. There are refills available.

It comes in different colours and finish. Check this out

http://www.lamy.com/products/writing_syste.../index_eng.html

My personal favourite is the tri pen cp 1 black. Here's a picture

http://www.lamy.com/productFragments/e34/e530/e1214/756_gross_eng.jpg

There are dedicated mechanical pencils here

http://www.lamy.com/products/writing_syste.../index_eng.html

You can even get her a set of say Lamy Safari pens e.g. FP, pencil, pen. My wife has all the colours to suit her wardrobe :headsmack:

http://jonathan.hs.cheng.googlepages.com/SigGoodMen.jpg

Take a look at the lamy Scribble 0.5

Ergonomic & unusual ~ I got the thick lead version I was disappointed in the lead quality but the 0.5 would have no problems at all

(Easily Replaceable)

I also generally use wood case pencils. It is a habit, I guess. On those occasions I use a mechanical pencil, I love Parker Duofold pencils. I think my suggestion might be over your budget, but the pencils are good. I also have a screaming yellow Lamy Safari pencil on my desk that works just fine.

As for erasers, I keep a big hand held eraser handy.

Edited by FrankB

.05 mm lead

LARGE eraser (the kind that are so big that the eraser base is twistable purely to expose more eraser would be ideal)

Durable

Optional qualifications:

I think she favors clean, sleek (brushed metal-ish) designs, but this is easily a point of compromise.

I suggest that Pentel products are the right choice, the only thing that I don't know the one which combines all things that you're looking for (except low/reasonable price and durability):

1. Pentel "Twist-Erase" 0.5 (QE515) - has "LARGE eraser (the kind that are so big that the eraser base is twistable purely to expose more eraser would be ideal)"if we will be realistic and agree that eraser as big as 7mm diameter is large as for items built-in into mechanical pencils.
  2. Pentel "Technoclick" 0.5 (PD105T) - has "Side - click" and same big eraser but it's not "twistable purely to expose more..."
  3. Pentel "Grafigear 500" 0.5 (PG515) - has "metal-ish design" and is slimest of three mentioned but it has negative impact on eraser size (exactly as you supposed).
Hope it helps.

Pavlo Shevelo

Proud contributor to http://penpedia.com/sig2.gif

For something that fulfils many of your criteria, I'd recommend the Rotring Rapid. It comes in .35, .5 and .7 mm, has a 3 cm long (if skinny) twisting eraser, is made of durable plastic, and is a bit thicker than a bic. It also has a retractable tip and a firm rubber grip.

I heard a rumour that they are being discontinued so I don't know if they are (still) available where you are, but if you can find some of these I would snap up a few (and some spare erasers!). I got mine in Japan for less than $5.

For several years I used the Rotring 600-series mechanical pencils. Quite heavvy but wonderful pencils. Especially the 0.7 version.

Now, sadly, both of them are broken. And also out of production.

Luckily, I've discovered Lamy Scribble 0.7. Great pen, both nice to use and look at. The eraser, though, could be better.

Otherwise highly recommended.

http://www.lamypenshop.com/files/1767755/uploaded/186-0,7mm.jpg

/ Roger W

Sweden

Edited by Roggalogga

My gf is on a search for the ideal mechanical pencil, just as I was on the search for the ideal pen. I thought that as people who appreciate fine writing instruments, you could help me in my endeavor (her birthday is coming soon) to help her on her search. If anyone knows of a mechanical pencil forum or a better place for me to ask this, please also tell me that.

.05 mm lead

Durable

Optional qualifications:

Since this is a gift, I don't mind shelling out for her (my budget tops out at aprox $60, but if the quality is that good, I would go slightly above.

She however, will definitely be terrified to losing it (she self admittedly loses many things like this), so I would also love a suggestion for something that fills the top four requirements and costs less than $10 so that she could easily replace it. If anything, finding such an item would be an even better gift in her eyes - writing comfort and the ability to replace it whenever (I would still get her the

--to be edited - she's in the room!

I have a Lamy Scribble, but with 0.7 mm, it is very confortable. Check out if it is in 0.5mm.

JUlio

It's almost passe, but Cross makes many excellent mechanical pencils in different sizes, finishes, etc. And they last forever.

Let courage rise with danger, and strength to strength oppose.

There is no snooze button on a cat wanting breakfast.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

My mech pencil preference is a Rotring 600. Solidly built.

I love my Lamy Vista pencil. The Al-Star presumably comes in pencil as well. Ligthweight, very comfortable grip (slim but not so much that it's uncomfortable) and very inexpensive. The eraser is wide but unfortunately, not tremendously deep. I found one pencil that fit that criteria years ago and haven't found it since.

I like my Pelikan pencils as well but they're .7mm

link didn't take you to pencil - there's pics on various pen sites.

I love MPs almost as much as FPs. Too bad the colored "leads" are so ick.

Edited by KCat

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Pentel's Sensi Grip is a very smooth writer for me. It is a drafting pen, and has a very comfortable grip. I consider it the fountain pen of mechanical pencils, as my handwriting flows as well when using it as with a fountain pen. The pen comes in a 0.5, or 0.3,0.7, 0.9mm. These pencils are around $3.75 a piece so buy many, as you will want to carry one around, and you might lose one. I really don't see why one would spend so much on a mechanical pencil when the mechanism is generally the same at least in pens in the $3.00+ range. The only thing missing in this pen is that it has a small eraser, but the writing experience makes up for this, and erasers can be found at most office supply stores.

Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

faber-castell TK-Fine vario L 0.5, would fit the bill...however I am looking at the lamy2000 .7mm as my ultimate mech pencil.

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

I second either the Faber-Castell TK Fine Vario L, or the Rotring 600 (getting hard to find these, though). Another possibility is the Staedtler 925-95-05. I have all three of the above: the Faber-Castell has an interesting suspension for the lead, the Staedtler has adjustable lead advance, and the Rotring is a good solid drawing instrument.

If it was me, I'd get the Rotring, but it's one for the purists, in terms of design. No frills or compromise.

I got mine from www.penwish.com. They carry the Rotring and the Staedtler.

Hello,

I recently bought my sona Retro 51 Crossword pencil. It uses a 1.1mm lead, and comes ina nioce box with extra lead, anbd extra pencils. My son and I always carry a seperate stick type eraser, works much better than the one on the pencil.

Dan

I love my Lamy Vista pencil. The Al-Star presumably comes in pencil as well. Ligthweight, very comfortable grip (slim but not so much that it's uncomfortable) and very inexpensive. The eraser is wide but unfortunately, not tremendously deep. I found one pencil that fit that criteria years ago and haven't found it since.

I like my Pelikan pencils as well but they're .7mm

link didn't take you to pencil - there's pics on various pen sites.

I love MPs almost as much as FPs. Too bad the colored "leads" are so ick.