Russian FPs?

Kelly

Thx bernardo for pointing me to the Soviet "Soyuz" pen. It appears to have been produced in the USSR as a native item altho it wouldn't surprise me if a few things were "borrowed" from Western manufacturers.

Yet, based on Armand Hammer's memoirs previously referenced, I would think there'd be a fair number of Parker "Big Reds" still kicking around within the former USSR nations. Probably other Parkers as well, which were being produced in the 1920s & marketed by Hammer under his franchise agreement.

Whether vintage pen collecting in that part of the world has caught on, is unknown to me.

• 5 years later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pavlosh

• Padawan

• Chyba

• QM2

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, we had some nice pen brands in the USSR - for ex. Soyuz, MZPP, Yaroslavskiy plant. Souyz were the best and often had golden nibs, like this pen for ex. 10483977_353671428167952_800004234540838

10548096_353673134834448_337949081227373

Or this with a broken nib.

10848989_353674204834341_884975633798010

Also they could be with steel nibs, but anyway looking very solid and trustworthy.

Like this pen for ex.

1900512_353644001504028_7864665975375258

10848796_353644124837349_312799112680249

Yaroslavskiy plant made nice pens, but they were a bit cheaper. My experience - the nibs mostly a bit scratchy even with new pens. Here is one pen of this plant.

10854840_353639788171116_308198981314186

And here are MZPP - school pens, haven't tried them.

10847602_353580401510388_213801031060352

10854187_353578038177291_479093628467011

I also came across some very cheap school pens whose brand I can't identify. You'd be surprised, but they write the best :) For ex. this one is my favourite.

10856839_353645938170501_412102877860607

Very cool! Thanks for sharing! It was very interesting to see.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Sorry guys. Stupid me posted this in the wrong thread. Apologies.

Pavoni :blush:

Edited by pavoni

• 1 year later...

I have a couple of Soyuz, Yaroslavliy pens. They are all old, used pens. So, today, I mean 2016, is there fountain pen factory in Russia producing, operating, selling fountain pen of its own brand?

In China and in India, sales of fp is going up steadily so they are producing quite a lot of their own brands: Wality, Ranga, Oliver, Baoer, Jinhao, Fuliwen... How about Russia today?

I was in Moscow in 2012 and I just spent three weeks there last month. Four years ago, I saw and bought two interesting FP's, but this time the pickings were much worse. Every weekend there's a huge flea market, known as the Vernisazh. On my 2012 visit, I found a new old stock Yaroslavl' FP with a piston filler. It writes very smooth and feels great while writing, but has one flaw: when you pick it up the next time, it's dry and needs priming. On my 2012 visit, I also attended a meeting of the Moscow FP club, where I bought a used, but excellent condition pen, made by the Sacco-Vanzetti pen factory, with a gold nib. I don't use it much and I like the smooth feel of the Yaroslavl' better, but the Sacco-Vanzetti does not go dry. Last time, I also found very cheap bottles of Pelikan ink at the discount department store Ashan (Auchan in the original French).

This time, there were only used FP's in bad condition at the flea market. Stores that used to carry cheap Chinese and Indian FP's had only expensive Parkers and other international brands. It looked like the only market for FP's was the luxury line. Pens for low and reasonable prices were all non-fountain. Also, I could not find Pelikan ink at the discount store, but the expensive stores had the same high-priced international ink you can find in the USA.

You could still find cheap Russian ink. There were two brands in lots of stores. Raduga Gamma, which writes decently (and is pictured in my avatar) and one I never saw before--Informat, which seems to be of very poor quality, with a diluted, washed out appearance. The Russian inks are both very cheap, costing around 50 cents for 70 ml.

• 1 year later...

Hi!

I have a Pen made in Moscow in 09/28/1976. It is an ERA (ЭРА) from SV (СВ). Typ: 25.03.654-72.

Anyone knows this Brand?

post-139965-0-57775000-1510582726_thumb.jpg

Thank your Answers in advance

Chyba

Hello Padawan,

Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately I don't know the material of the coating of my pens nib, but I like to write with it. I think it is a cheaper type. But after more then 41 years, it is working very well! :D :wub:

The history is also interests: cooperation of the Soviets and the Americans....This factory has taken any part in Soyuz?

The real value of this pen for me: the date stamp on its paper (I think user manual (it is also Cyrillic)). It is concretely 2 month "younger" as me. (my birth date is: 11/28/1976) B)

I just tried to translate the Russian text, but Google translator gives not a perfect translation. There is a sentence I don't understand, but the word Soyuz was in that.

(Объединению «Союзоргтехника» (с 1986 г. — МНПО «Оргтехника») Министерства приборостроения, средств автоматизации и систем управления СССР, с 25 марта 1991 г. по 3 августа 1993 г.)

As maybe you know, I had to learn Russian language in the elementary school (till. 1990), At now I can read the Cyrillic text, but I don't understand it :wacko:

Association "Soyuzorgtekhnika" (1986 — INGO "Orgtechnika") of the Ministry of instrumentation, automation and control systems of the USSR, 25 Mar 1991 till 3 Aug 1993.

orgtekhnika = office equipment

sometimes yandex.ru translates better and more clear essentially, but Google translation is cleaner from the viewpoint of English grammar.