The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Russian FPs?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Kelly

Kelly

Mmmmm...Chocolate!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 17:11

I'm sure there must be a few or perhaps several Russian brand FPs but what are they? Does anyone own any? What are the nibs like? Smooth? Run narrow or wide? Material? Design? Could I have any more questions?? Just some musings on a Sunday morning :D
A hot wind was blowing around my head, the strands of my hair lifting and swirling in it, like ink spilled in water. ~ Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin

Sponsored Content

#2 woodwindmaster06

woodwindmaster06

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 17:22

No idea??
Sorry, never heard of any
Tim: The Music Pen Guy
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Pelikan Nest

#3 Ray

Ray

scribo ergo sum

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 18:24

Good point, Kelly. I'd be interested, too.

Ray

#4 garythepenman

garythepenman

Rarer by the minute

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 20:32

Hi Kelly,

I was a frequent visitor to Moscow and never found a locally made fountain pen. My guess would be if something existed it would be pre glasnost and probably made of tin.
A wizard is never late, he arrives precisely when he means to.

#5 wimg

wimg

Stip Etruria nut :)

• FPN Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,170 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2006 - 20:58

Hi Gary,

Hi Kelly,

I was a frequent visitor to Moscow and never found a locally made fountain pen. My guess would be if something existed it would be pre glasnost and probably made of tin.

Nah, I think it would be made of cast iron :lol:.

Actually, I do think they did have fountain pens. My mother is originally from Dnepropretovsk, and she used a fountain pen up to the time she was expatriated. She still uses fountain pens, BTW, and I think she has 3 currently.

Of course, when I visited Kiev and Odessa in '69, everybody seemed to use cheap ballpoints.

Somehow I remember that Giovanni knows more about Russian fountain pens. Maybe he can chime in...

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

#6 Stompy

Stompy

Scribbler

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 21:46

Here's a picture of Boris Spassky and a couple of Russian comrades.

Despite Spassky using what looks to me like a Parker 51, the other two are using unidentified fountain pens. Does this help anyone?

This is a small picture, larger ones are available from here.

Posted Image

#7 amh210

amh210

Venerable

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 January 2006 - 00:27

I recall a passing ebay sale on Russian commemorative fps for Sputnik or Soyuz or similar space theme. FP in desk set that looked sort of like a rocket.

I don't know for sure if they were actually USSR manufactured but I can't imagine whom else would do a sputnik or soyuz trubute.

Andy
"Andy Hoffman" Sandy Ego, CA
Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.
For my minutiae, FOLLOW my Twitter.

#8 chupie

chupie

He's a grand, ungodly, god-like man, Captain Ahab.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 00:36

I think I saw those too. Weren't they a Chinese make though?
Pearl's Blog: A Journey in Patience: Feline DIabetes

Feline Diabetes is a treatable condition.
http://www.felinediabetes.com

#9 pvdiamon

pvdiamon

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 01:50

These aren't Russian, but in Googling around for eastern Europe, I came across this pen from Croatia:

http://www.penkala.n...products_0.html
John in NC

The passion not to be fooled and not to fool anybody else..two searching questions of positivism: what do you mean? How do you know? (Bertrand Russell, Dominant Passion of The True Scientist)

#10 antoniosz

antoniosz

ET IN ARCADIA EGO

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 02:42

Penkala was pre-communism in Croatia, why would they be found in Russia?

They are some often seen on e-bay like this one.

In another previous posting (under "Soviet Pens") someone said that they used a lot of chinese "Hero"s.

#11 tryphon

tryphon

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 January 2006 - 02:49

I have a couple of soviet era pens made in Russia. I believe they are called Soyuz (I don't have them in front of me) and they are very nice copies of Parker 51s. Much nicer than the Chinese Hero pens. I seem to recall that they are vac fillers. I promise to take pictures and post them here when I find the time (it will be a couple of weeks).
Hero pens were also used in Russia, but the Soyuz pen was considered a prestige pen.

#12 pvdiamon

pvdiamon

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 03:10

Penkala was pre-communism in Croatia, why would they be found in Russia?

I didn't mean they were Russian. But I think the url I posted is for a NEW Penkala. Although the factory was certainly pre-Yugoslav, there is currently a factory in Zagreb. The web site for the company (TOZ) even gives directions to get to their factory.
John in NC

The passion not to be fooled and not to fool anybody else..two searching questions of positivism: what do you mean? How do you know? (Bertrand Russell, Dominant Passion of The True Scientist)

#13 Kelly

Kelly

Mmmmm...Chocolate!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 03:34

I have a couple of soviet era pens made in Russia. I believe they are called Soyuz (I don't have them in front of me) and they are very nice copies of Parker 51s. Much nicer than the Chinese Hero pens. I seem to recall that they are vac fillers. I promise to take pictures and post them here when I find the time (it will be a couple of weeks).
Hero pens were also used in Russia, but the Soyuz pen was considered a prestige pen.

Great! I look forward to seeing those when you get the chance to post :)
A hot wind was blowing around my head, the strands of my hair lifting and swirling in it, like ink spilled in water. ~ Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin

#14 Kelly

Kelly

Mmmmm...Chocolate!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 18:38

Giving this a small bump up as I'm now totally curious in finding out about some Russian models. An ex-co-worker of my husband's is Russian and has an interest in FPs so he's on my list to contact. I'm just surprised there isn't more info. :huh:

#15 juhtolv

juhtolv

The Nerd in Black

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 October 2007 - 19:21

I visited Pärnu, Estonia spring 2006. Estonia was part of the Soviet Union. I also went to antique shops and bought some old fountain pens. Some of them have cyrillic text and are probably made somewhere in Soviet Union.
Juhapekka “naula” TOLVANEN * The Nerd in Black * http://iki.fi/juhtolv
ユハペッカ・「ナウラ」・トルワネン
黒服のナード

#16 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 October 2007 - 19:52

All I know was I did a roaring trade in US ballpoints when I went TDY in the old USSR and certainly never saw any FPs for sale or I'd have them. Of course that was back in the late 80s when people were lining up for a light bulb or food, much less a writing implement...

#17 funzoneplanet

funzoneplanet

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 07:54

Good question! I myself wouldn't think so. Just because I haven't seen or heard of any russian branded fountain pens.
DJG

#18 goodguy

goodguy

Fountain pens and watches collector

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 October 2007 - 20:42

I saw once a Soviet FP for sale.It looked like a replica of the Parker 51.
Respect to all

#19 EventHorizon

EventHorizon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,002 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2007 - 16:10

QUOTE(goodguy @ Oct 9 2007, 04:42 PM) View Post
I saw once a Soviet FP for sale.It looked like a replica of the Parker 51.

E-Bay has this one

and a few more here

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"
US science fiction novelist & scholar (1920 - 1992)

There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man--with human flesh.
Frank Herbert, Dune
US science fiction novelist (1920 - 1986)

My Pens on Flikr

#20 Ink Stained Wretch

Ink Stained Wretch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,308 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 09:05

QUOTE(Stompy @ Jan 15 2006, 05:46 PM) View Post
Here's a picture of Boris Spassky and a couple of Russian comrades.

Despite Spassky using what looks to me like a Parker 51, the other two are using unidentified fountain pens.

And all 3 have their nibs hanging out! As always from that era this would have been a posed photograph, I bet they wouldn't have left the caps off for long in real life. I wonder if they were prop pens?

I recall a day, some years after I'd played my last tournament chess game, when I was walking in Central Park. I was in a part of the park that's well below street level. I looked up as I walked towards an exit to Central Park West and suddenly above me I saw a face I knew so very well coming down into that part of the park. It was indeed Boris Spassky! He'd long since left the Soviet Union, still extant at that time. What a surprise. I hadn't known that he was in America at all.
On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!
ink stained wretch filling inkwell

Sponsored Content

|