Sheaffer Valor Black with Silver Trim

purpledog

Appearance and Finish 4.50/5.00

The pen was bought as slightly used but it looked close to mint. The pen measures 15.2 cm or 6 inches capped. The finish is very good. If I want to be really picky, I would say the part where the clip extension flushes into the cap could be further improved. There are a few locations where slight gaps are present between the clip extension and the cap surface. In other words, the top part of the cap could be further improved on the detailing. This cosmetic issue is only observable upon close inspection. The cap takes about 1 1/8 turns to be removed. The cap sits snugly when closed.

Design, Size, and Weight 4.50/5.00

I like the design of the pen. I thought it looks like a tall man in smart business attire. I like the black on this pen. I have seen Dumdummoi's review of the same pen in a different color (burgundy), and that is an impressive color. I wish the Valor can come in deep dark purple, not so much because purple is my favorite color, but more because I really think the color suits the Valor.

The cap to barrel ratio is 1:1, and I thought a more visually attractive ratio would be 2:3. But this is just me, and maybe this explains why I am not attracted very much to the aesthetics of the Pelikan M1000 (because the cap to barrel ratio is about 1:1). Maybe because I like Legacies so much, I was not initially used to the look of the slight change in girth or diameter from the barrel to the section. The length (one of the longest amongst my pens) is a plus factor for me, as I like long pens. I am perfectly comfortable with the girth or thickness of the Valor, but I would prefer a thicker pen for a pen of this length. The pen feels a bit lightweight for me when used unposted (I don't post my pens). Although I prefer heavy pens like the Legacies, I am perfectly at ease with using a lighter pen.

Nib Design and Performance 4.50/5.00

The nib is 14k. The nib is not marked but I am pretty sure this is a medium nib. I suspect this is one of the earlier versions that came out, as the first version came out as black with silver trim in medium nib only. I don't have to say how aesthetically beautiful the Sheaffer inlaid nibs are, as probably everyone has known about it. Although the nib is medium, the nib writes a smooth, wet line in between a medium and a fine, which suits me well. The nib writes with a pencil-like feel (like how a person would feel using a pencil on paper), unlike the 'real' smoothness of a Omas nib. Don't get me wrong. The Valor nib is smooth, but has a certain feedback. Some of my Legacies have this feel. I am perfectly alright with using smooth nibs with a bit of feedback.

Filling System 5.00/5.00

The pen uses an ink converter. If you have read my earlier reviews, I am a big fan of such a filler system for the ease of use and the lack of need to replace the parts (like sacs) in the long run. And you can always open the barrel to see how much ink is left.

Value 4.75/5.00

I bought the pen without the original box and papers for $155 shipped. I thought it was a good deal.

Conclusions 23.25/25.00

I have a certain loyalty for Sheaffer pens because my first pen (a gift) was a Sheaffer Prelude which got me started. If there is only one brand that I can buy, I would choose Sheaffers, although I have come across pens with smooth nibs like Omas Paragon and Signum Nova. I have always wanted to get a Valor when I started out my collection with the Preludes. At that time, any pens more than $150 would be deemed too extravagant. I missed the $174 (or $179?) price from isellpens before the prices was adjusted as I was hoping if I can get a cheaper used Valor on the FPN marketplace for a lower price. In the end, I got my Valor from eBay.

I would consider getting a second Valor with a different color scheme in the near future.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3070/2599113964_cd644659fa_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3139/2598281651_2718a2db4e_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3273/2598281841_dff3090540_b.jpg

purpledog

Edited by purpledog

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Deirdre

• Sallent

• purpledog

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My only regret is that Sheaffer at that price range wont provide a vacum/piston/lever filler. I guess thats why I have been forced to look a European pens.

Nonwithstanding that issue, it is a beautiful pen. I hope you enjoy it for a long time to come.

Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.

My only regret is that Sheaffer at that price range wont provide a vacum/piston/lever filler. I guess thats why I have been forced to look a European pens.

You know that this particular pen is European, right?

Italian, to be precise.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Nah, i guess I still see Sheaffer as the classic American company they once where. It seems like all American pen makers were sold off overseas. For example: Waterman, Parker and now Sheaffer (?). Whats left (Cross and Conklin) are manufactured in China. So much for "made in America".

At any rate, my point is still valid somewhat, look at Pelikan/Aurora/Mont Blanc and you will see a lot of piston fillers and the occational lever filler/vacum filler special edition pen.

However, former "American brands" like Parker, Sheaffer and Waterman only seem to make cartridge fillers with plain steel nibs and price them at the same level as better built "Traditional European" pens with gold nibs like Pelikan and Aurora.

At any rate, my point is still valid somewhat, look at Pelikan/Aurora/Mont Blanc and you will see a lot of piston fillers and the occational lever filler/vacum filler special edition pen.

You don't see Aurora or Montblanc piston fillers at the Valor's price point, nor do you see gold-nibbed Pelikans of the Valor's size at the Valor's price point.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

You don't see Aurora or Montblanc piston fillers at the Valor's price point, nor do you see gold-nibbed Pelikans of the Valor's size at the Valor's price point.

Well, not if you go by the MSRP price, but as many people kow, a lot of these pens (depending on the brand) can be had anywhere from 10% off MSRP to as much as 45% off MSRP ---specially in some Pelikan models/variants.

Well, not if you go by the MSRP price, but as many people kow, a lot of these pens (depending on the brand) can be had anywhere from 10% off MSRP to as much as 45% off MSRP ---specially in some Pelikan models/variants.

You see M1000 pens for < $289? The Valor is M1000 size (actually slightly longer capped and shorter posted).

deirdre.net

You see M1000 pens for < $289? The Valor is M1000 size (actually slightly longer capped and shorter posted).

There's just no winning, is there? You sure don't give up! :roflmho: No one can win an arguement with you :thumbup:

Edited by Dr Ozzie

There's just no winning, is there? You sure don't give up! :roflmho: No one can win an arguement with you :thumbup:

Ha! My husband wins frequently.

C/c fillers are there to reduce cost. Some people also prefer them.

I'd love to see a Valor that's a piston filler, but it wouldn't be the same price. As an example, the MSRP of the Stipula Etruria is $95 higher for the piston filler in celluloid; $60 higher in the resin version.

deirdre.net