The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Comparison Nakaya Equilibrium and Conway Stewart Evolution

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rhk

rhk

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:20

Weight and balance of a pen is very personal. Most pens offer one option to adjust the balance of a pen, that is, to post the cap. That may damage the barrel, and the adjustment of balance may not be precise enough. I know of two pens that allow one to adjust the balance more finely: Conway Stewart Evolution and Nakaya Equilibrium. From the outside, these pens are really different: the Conway Stewart pen is a heavy pen, of solid silver. The Nakaya on the other hand is an ebonite light weight pen, finished in aka-tamenuri urushi lacquer (in my case).

The approach both pens take to balancing the barrel, is different. The Nakaya pen came with a little stick, and a pouch five little weights.

These weights can be inserted in the barrel by removing the cap at the end of the barrel, and then screwing them inside the barrel. The barrel has thread inside, just like the cap. The picture below shows the barrel that is open, with one weight inserted.

On the other hand, the Conway Stewart pen has an integrated balance adjustment mechanism. The balance is adjusted by turning the blind cap. A nice touch is that the blind cap fits seamlessly on the barrel, see the picture below. No attempt has been made to have the engavring continue on the cap, so there is no discontinuity when the cap is turned (this is different with the blind cap of the Visconti Wall Street that I have).

Inside the barrel is a weight and a spring, and by turning the blind cap, one can adjust the position of the weight, and thereby the balance. The spring is just visible in the picture below.

Then the question is, does it work? Do these mechanisms adjust the balance to a noticebale degree? I have tried to see whether the center of gravity really shifted by putting all weight near the section first, and then inserting three rings (Nakaya) or putting all weight near the blind cap second. The results are shown in two stitched pictures.

Clearly, these mechanisms adjust the balance of the pen. As the Nakaya pen is lighter, I think their mechnism with weights is somewhat more effective. On the other hand, one needs additional things (the little stick, and additional weights) to adjust the balance. An advantage of the Conway Stewart approach is that it does not require any additional parts. I assume Conway Stewart will include this mechanism in other models in the future.

Ruud

Edited by MYU, 29 November 2008 - 17:11.

Sponsored Content

#2 HDoug

HDoug

First Class Forever

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,816 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:31

I was very curious about how these two compare. Fascinating. Thanks much for the review and photos.

Does changing the balance affect the feel of the pens for you?

Doug

#3 NeoTiger

NeoTiger

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 14:43

I think another advantage of the Nakaya system is that you start off with a light pen, and can add just one weight or up to 5 weights. So you're not only changing the balance, but can also change the overall weight of the pen.

#4 DRP

DRP

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 20:30

I was wondering how those things worked.

Thank you for a most interesting and informative posting.

#5 rhk

rhk

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 04:04

The weight of the Nakaya (cap removed, no posting) varies between 12gr (no rings inserted) and 16gr (five rings inserted). For me, I like the option to add weight to the pen. Ruud

#6 Bryant

Bryant

Chatterleyluxuries.com

• Member - Gold

• 4,838 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 June 2008 - 05:23

This is very cool... I'm not convinced on the price quite yet, at least on the Conway, I don't know how much the Nakaya is. But still cool!

Chatterley Luxuries and Pentime

Web: Chatterleyluxuries.com

Email: Info@chatterleyluxuries.com

Follow us on... 

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

#7 HDoug

HDoug

First Class Forever

• FPN Super Moderators

• 3,816 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 June 2008 - 05:58

QUOTE(Bryant @ Jun 24 2008, 07:23 PM) View Post
This is very cool... I'm not convinced on the price quite yet, at least on the Conway, I don't know how much the Nakaya is. But still cool!

I just looked it up -- Nakaya's website shows the price at between $385 to $670 depending on size and finish. That's less than I thought it would be.

Doug

#8 Bryant

Bryant

Chatterleyluxuries.com

• Member - Gold

• 4,838 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:00

QUOTE(HDoug @ Jun 25 2008, 12:58 AM) View Post
QUOTE(Bryant @ Jun 24 2008, 07:23 PM) View Post

I just looked it up -- Nakaya's website shows the price at between $385 to $670 depending on size and finish. That's less than I thought it would be.

Doug

Thats not bad compared to the MSRP of the CS... $2700 right?

Chatterley Luxuries and Pentime

Web: Chatterleyluxuries.com

Email: Info@chatterleyluxuries.com

Follow us on... 

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

Sponsored Content

|