Schmidt pen parts question

Gepzo

In another topic, I mentioned that I contacted Schmidt about small orders of pen parts, and the response was :"What do you want, and how many?" So, before I get too far along, does anyone have any experience with Schmidt products? In particular, they've got a piston filler mechanism, it is basically everything except the outer barrel and cap, and I'm interested to try it out!

Talk about taking a kit pen to the next level!

If anyone is interested, I'll let them know what I get back as far as pricing...probably as much as buying a pen with the parts in them, but, it may be a higher level of component, for someone who is moving beyond the Berea kits, etc.

-George

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gepzo

• DanF

• Deckard

• OldGriz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In another topic, I mentioned that I contacted Schmidt about small orders of pen parts, and the response was :"What do you want, and how many?" So, before I get too far along, does anyone have any experience with Schmidt products? In particular, they've got a piston filler mechanism, it is basically everything except the outer barrel and cap, and I'm interested to try it out!

Talk about taking a kit pen to the next level!

If anyone is interested, I'll let them know what I get back as far as pricing...probably as much as buying a pen with the parts in them, but, it may be a higher level of component, for someone who is moving beyond the Berea kits, etc.

-George

George

Look on this site: http://penmakers.com/used.html

Is this the Schmidt parts that you are considering?

Grant Wilkinson

Ottawa ON

I actually went to their website, and downloaded their catalog... then emailed them, and was answered promptly by someone with very good English skills.

Check this out.. I'm particularly intrigued with the piston filler parts...post-3247-1214358507_thumb.jpg

They also have a larger model of piston kit for their larger nibs, the KFH400.

I got a price - 12.50 Euros each for the stainless steel nibbed model. The minimum order is usually 500 Euros, but they were willing to make an exception. Gold nibs are ordered by each customer, and in lots of a minimum size of 300 nibs. Shipping is going to be painful from Germany, too.

So, I'm going to get 10, and I'm going to spend way too much money than I should for a test. I may be willing to part with some of them if anyone else wants to experiment. Heck, I may ruin one or two just figuring out how to make them work.

I'm thinking that the piston unit could be a way for kit pen makers to really set their stuff apart from the crowd. Who else makes piston kits? I've never seen one.

I'm really surprised that they don't have a US distributor. I mean, you find their refills all over the place, and I think I've spotted their nibs on several company's fountain pens, but I have never seen their piston fillers before... unless the Stipula Ventidue is one, I can't really tell from looking at it, but they do look similar (except for the metal section on the Ventidue). But, an Italian company wouldn't use German components, would they? (yes, they would, see Filcao Columbia with Schmidt nibs).

- George

Edited by Gepzo

I actually went to their website, and downloaded their catalog... then emailed them, and was answered promptly by someone with very good English skills.

Check this out.. I'm particularly intrigued with the piston filler parts...post-3247-1214358507_thumb.jpg

I got a price - 12.50 Euros each for the stainless steel nibbed model. The minimum order is usually 500 Euros, but they were willing to make an exception. Gold nibs are ordered by each customer, and in lots of a minimum size of 300 nibs. Shipping is going to be painful from Germany, too.

So, I'm going to get 10, and I'm going to spend way too much money than I should for a test. I may be willing to part with some of them if anyone else wants to experiment. Heck, I may ruin one or two just figuring out how to make them work.

I'm thinking that the piston unit could be a way for kit pen makers to really set their stuff apart from the crowd. Who else makes piston kits? I've never seen one.

I'm really surprised that they don't have a US distributor. I mean, you find their refills all over the place, and I think I've spotted their nibs on several company's fountain pens, but I have never seen their piston fillers before... unless the Stipula Ventidue is one, I can't really tell from looking at it, but they do look similar (except for the metal section on the Ventidue). But, an Italian company wouldn't use German components, would they? (yes, they would, see Filcao Columbia with Schmidt nibs).

- George

I would be up for a couple myself if you are ordering the plunger units.

Chris Hughes

Appleman Pens

Orangeville, Ontario, Canada

Photo's Of Past Pens

My Blog

Phone 912-376-7165

- George

George, I would be interested in 2 of the piston filler units to experiment with.... if you have them to spare..

Updated information on the piston kits -

They're only available with medium steel nibs.

OldGriz and APPLEMAN - I'll be more than happy to hold 2 for each of you.

Anyone else want any?

- George

I'm really surprised that they don't have a US distributor. ......

Sounds like an opportunity......

YMMV

Hi George,

Please put me in for 2 piston kits, I expect you will order the largest version?

Thanks & regards, francis

Updated information on the piston kits -

They're only available with medium steel nibs.

OldGriz and APPLEMAN - I'll be more than happy to hold 2 for each of you.

Anyone else want any?

- George

PM sent. I'm interested in a couple of the piston filler units.

Dan

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

I had only inquired about the smaller piston unit, the KFH300. There is a larger unit, the KFH 400.

Clearly, I did this out of order. I should have come here first, and THEN gone to Schmidt and started getting quotes! I hope they maintain their patience with me!

Cost per piston unit (KFH300) is looking to be about $30 without shipping. I've just inquired about the larger unit (KFH 400).

- George

Edited by Gepzo

I had only inquired about the smaller piston unit, the KFH300. There is a larger unit, the KFH 400.

Clearly, I did this out of order. I should have come here first, and THEN gone to Schmidt and started getting quotes! I hope they maintain their patience with me!

Cost per piston unit (KFH300) is looking to be about $30 without shipping. I've just inquired about the larger unit (KFH 400).

- George

George, is it possible to get the dimensions of these units.... I will still want 2 to play with, but dimensions would be nice

I hope that I am also correct in thinking that the nib assemblies are replaceable with other Schmidt nibs and feeds by unscrewing them...

- George

George, is it possible to get the dimensions of these units.... I will still want 2 to play with, but dimensions would be nice

I hope that I am also correct in thinking that the nib assemblies are replaceable with other Schmidt nibs and feeds by unscrewing them...

George.

I'd like a couple as well. Let us know when you place the order.

Larry

Larry Korn

Virginia Beach, VA

"An armed society is a polite society." -- Robert Heinlein, "The roads Must Roll"

Some people are like Slinkies. They have no practical use whatsoever,

but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Schmidt sections are not able to be disassembled. The nibs and feeds are not exchangeable. If this buy gets to a serious size, I would be glad to allow the group to use my corporate account with Schmidt.

Lou---Are you saying that the nib can't be separated from the feed (similar to the Esterbrook system), or that one can't simply unscrew a medium nib assembly and replace it with a fine or broad assembly from the same part family? It would appear from their catalog that one could do the latter. Or is it that the piston fill units don't allow exchanges?

Also, what would constitute a "serious size" for the order?

Dan

Edited by DanF

Lou---Are you saying that the nib can't be separated from the feed (similar to the Esterbrook system), or that one can't simply unscrew a medium nib assembly and replace it with a fine or broad assembly from the same part family? It would appear from their catalog that one could do the latter. Or is it that the piston fill units don't allow exchanges?

Also, what would constitute a "serious size" for the order?

Dan

The nib cannot be separated from the feed. In simple terms, you cannot buy the unit, which includes a steel nib, and replace the nib with a gold nib. The nib-feed-housing are interchangeable with the piston-fill ink supply (converter). A serious order for Schmidt is typically 300 units for their nib assemblies.

Lou

So what do the gold nib assemblies run per unit?

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Good question, I don't have an answer yet, but they did say that they sell them in 300 unit lots. So, if I want gold nibs, I need to buy at least 300.

Please see these pdf files, which are schematics for the piston pen and nib unit.

Note the funky thread sizes. M10.2x0.5 ! The rep advised me to use CNC machine, as taps/dies are not available. I'm planning on gluing them into the body. Its a piston filler! Shouldn't need to get the unit out of the body! Now, the cap threads are another matter entirely... but that size may be do-able with a tap/die... M10x0.5

From what I see, the nibs are sold as a unit, like the Esterbrooks. You can't just pull the nib out and replace it, but you can screw out the whole thing, and put in another one.

More Minimum order quantity information - minimum nib order is 200 pcs.

The larger piston pen is $22 per, or 14 Euros. That's the KFH 400.

- George

Edit - nib prices :

"Please note prices as follows - MOQ is 200 pcs. per nib size

EUR 2.30 FH 341 with blank steel nib F or M

EUR 2.60 idem with B nib

EUR 2.35 FH 341 with gold plated steel nib F or M

EUR 2.65 idem with B nib

"

KFH_300_506513_EM_14.02.07.pdf

15650_M_FH_341.pdf

Edited by Gepzo

I think that it would be good to find out what companies are already making pens with these things, and see if nib assemblies are available through those companies, rather than committing to a lot of 300. I seem to remember reading about some relatively new companies using these, I'll see what I can dig up. Is anyone in a big hurry to do this right away?

Dan

The only upside to not buying now is saving on shipping. I'm going to proceed with the purchase of the nib kits, and if people want more later, they can buy their own, or offer up another group buy. I think I'll get some extra, just in case there are some stragglers who didn't see this topic this week.

- George

I think I'll sit this first round out, and see what develops.

Dan