OMAS 360 Grey HT

TheNobleSavage

Thanks TNS for the review...

Can U check something for me?

I was told the nib is specially mounted slightly canted clockwise.... say about 12:15pm ... (looking at the nib head-on...

So if you look head on at the nib, its not dead centre in alignment with the apex of the triangle shaped profile....

The person said that this was done to enable the nib to fall on the paper naturally since the 3 fingers have to rest on the pen in that manner owing to the triangular surface...

the nib wont touch the paper properly if it was mounted dead 12 O'clock.

Is this true ...?

My dream Omas is this 360 Magnum in 'Wild' .... really beautiful...

Yes Omas nibs are exceptionally smooth writers out of the box. The glide is exquisite. I bought a Milord some time back just to try out an Omas.

Great pen.... great nib.....

... 671 crafted ... one at a time ... ☺️

instagram

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheNobleSavage

• southpaw

• TMLee

• MikeF

Not true, IMO. At least one Omas dealer, John Mottishaw, will adjust the nib to an angle that suits someone who has a struggle with the triangular grip. And I think the triangular grip is a love/hate thing, something like the clip position on the Pilot Capless, but perhaps a minority of those who do struggle with the grip would be helped with the nib adjustment.

For myself, I have no problem at all writing with the 360's nib at the 12 o'clock position.

best, Dan

Tks Dan ....

so the nib on yr 360 is exactly on 12 o'clock ?

Hmmmm , why would that 360 pen he showed me have a nib that was not exactly 12noon?

... 671 crafted ... one at a time ... ☺️

instagram

Yes, mine is at 12 O'Clock. Well, to answer your question, I imagine he adjusted the nib to that postiion, or had someone do so, to better suit the way he holds this pen or writes. Nothing wrong with that, it's just that I imagine that most people wouldn't require this adjustment.

But since John Mottishaw advertising this service on his 360 sales page, it must be that a fair percentage of users do find they need this adjustment. For myself, it isn't necessary.

best, Dan

MIne is at 12 O clock, right dead on. Mottishaw can made an adjustment for you to any degree left or right.

As for the cost? I dont know. You might want to send them an Email. Chances are, Pat will return your email and she is very knowledgable and she works with John Mottishaw. His assistant, I cannot remember her name but she is Mottishaw's apprentice and her specialty is OMAS. She does wonderful work and a pleasure to chat with.

TNS

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

• 6 months later...

I am buying a 360 in black celluloid this week end and it is indeed a great pen. Great review thanks a lot.

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

QUOTE (Maja @ Jan 18 2006, 07:58 AM)
Ok, Noble Savage...First the Stipulas...now the OMAS pens. You are going to start a stampede of OMAS pen-buying with your wonderful pen reviews laugh.gif

Note to self: check eBay listings around popular holidays....   ph34r.gif

sad.gif

Well, already started!

I just bought 2 Omas which I wish it could have been at eBay prices, but I came in too late. mad.gif mad.gif Oh well.....

Omas mezzo, cartridge (hmmm, let's see how this one turns out to be)

Omas Ogiva Guilloche (probably man's size but I don't care)

ohmy.gif

and this because of all the reviews I've been seeing lately...Last Omas I bought was about 2-3yrs ago so time to break my own less-than-$200 limit and add a bit more to the Omas collection! biggrin.gif

So once I get them, I'll let you guys know, although I fear I won't do such nice reviews like yours, Phthalo's just o name a few. sad.gif

Edited by alvarez57

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

How is this compared to a Sailor 1911? I love their nibs, but wonder if OMAS nibs are better? Both seem to be good values, but Pat from nibs.com said the sailors are workhorses and OMAS are throughbreads. (Exclusive and not as reliable ) Do you think so too?

I have not had a piston filler yet so I may get a pelikan m600, is OMAS a beter choice?

Omas nibs are softer, many people love them but I, as it happens, do not. To me it's like writing with a felt-tip pen. I certainly have not tried every model, though, so there might be one out there I love.

I think the thoroughbred thing is partly the fit & finish of the Omas pens, which is amazing. I would imagine that if you get an Omas from Mottishaw, it will be very reliable.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

I really don't understand this pen.....Not one bit.

A local jewelry store has these at 40% off MSRP. I figured I'd check one out.

The pen feels like it cost about $5.00 to make. The "plastic" or Resin or whatever this pen is made out of just feels very cheap. The finish is lousy, the clip is flimsy and the feel is not polished.

If I wanted to spend $450 on a resin FP, I'd get a Cartier Diabolo or a Big Pelikan.

I would have a real hard time spending $50.00 on the 360.

QUOTE (The Toecutter @ Mar 1 2007, 05:21 AM)

The pen feels like it cost about $5.00 to make. The "plastic" or Resin or whatever this pen is made out of just feels very cheap. The finish is lousy, the clip is flimsy and the feel is not polished.

If I wanted to spend $450 on a resin FP, I'd get a Cartier Diabolo or a Big Pelikan.

As I have said in my thread it is not because you had a bad experience that you need to bash what the others bought with their hard earned money and especially when Omas and especially 360 is loved by many here.

The 360 has many qualities and it is a great pen. BTW I own a pelikan 800 too but it is a different product from the Omas.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 2 years later...

I just bought one today and I'm delighted...

I had a paragon milord in grey I bought recently and it was wonderful. The minor quibble was the screw - unlike many, I don't like to feel a screw on my fingers, and prefer caps that snap, as long as they don't get loose. So today I came across a black 360 (and this was shinny), with gold medium nib and trims and once I had it in my hand I just couldn't resist it. It seems to me the most comfortable pen I have so far, but by far...

As I have said in my thread it is not because you had a bad experience that you need to bash what the others bought with their hard earned money and especially when Omas and especially 360 is loved by many here.

The 360 has many qualities and it is a great pen. BTW I own a pelikan 800 too but it is a different product from the Omas.

I don't understand why what toecutter is saying is bashing. I own the 360 (the regular one and the mezzo) and I don't feel bashed. What worries me more is that some people, no offense intended, call this bashing. :)

How much would cost a 18k gold nib like the one on the 360? Could that be why?

Cost retail or cost to produce? Retail, about USD 130 for a new two-tone based on Mottishaw's site.

Creating the shape of 360 I believe is not staightward. For I believe it's *not* injection molded, which would seriously reduce the time and costs in producing the 360 be resin or celluloid.

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

Since this came up yet again, I have got to comment on the Mezzo.

I'm generally a full sized pen person, love my PFMs, LeMans, 146s and 149s, Pelikan 800 and 1000, Duolfolds, OS Balance, my Conway Stewart Duros and 100s and all of my full sized OMAS (is the plural OMASs?). When I got my Mezzo it was mostly because I was getting another 360 that was being sold as a pair, full sized and Mezzo as a set.

I really didn't think I'd like the Mezzo, it was smaller would only work with cartridges and only room for one, no heir and a spare.

But I was wrong. The Mezzo has become one of my favorites, a joy to use, great writer, fits in most anything, pocket, neck of a t-shirt, likely I could clip it on a sleve of a jersey. The clip design like its big brothers will easily handle any thickness of fabric, has great tension, stays in place, is just play functional. The artwork on the little tray is a surprise and joy whenever I change cartridges. The nib, flow and control is classic wet OMAS lay down that line and giggle.

If you are looking for a surprising pen, one that meets most any challenge, you really should consider the 360 Mezzo.

http://www.fototime.com/122967814E11C85/standard.jpg