The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Omas Paragon (Large) Piston-filled with Silver Trim

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 purpledog

purpledog

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:16

Appearance and Finish 4.75/5.00

The pen arrived in excellent condition. The micro-scratches are only seen when viewed under bright light. The pen measures 15.0 cm capped. The finish is excellent. The cap takes about 1.25 turns to uncap. When capped, the cap sits snugly. One not-so-good point is that the faceted sides of the cap do not flush with those of the barrel and the blind cap. This is not a big issue in my opinion. Afterall, a pen’s main function is to write.

Design, Size, and Weight 4.50/5.00

The pen looks spectacular in every department. Personally, I do not like the clip. Maybe it is an issue of getting used, but I feel that the little roller on the clip looks a bit weird. This is a big pen in terms of thickness and length, just perfect for me. Another not-so-good point is that the section is metallic which I would prefer it to be non-metallic. Fortunately, the pen is thick enough so that I do not have to grip so tightly, and therefore do not feel slippery when gripped. This is not a light pen. I like the weight of the pen.

Nib Design and Performance 5.00/5.00

The nib is 18k F. I thought the design on the nib is tastefully done. Wet and extremely smooth writer. This is my best Fine nib pen among all my pens.

Filling System 3.75/5.00

The pen is a piston-filler, meaning it can take in a lot of ink. But there is no window to see how much ink is left. A big minus here.

Value 4.25/5.00

I bought it for $260 including shipping. It did not come with the original paper and box.

Conclusions 22.25/25.00

I message Goodguy many times to ask about this pen since he has owned it, and I bought it after he highly recommended it. Again, this is one of those pens that is not originally on my shortlist list, but bought it after learning about it. Because of the way this pen writes, I plan to make this one of my more commonly-used daily pens.

purpledog

Sponsored Content

#2 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,078 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 June 2008 - 12:29

I have one also with a fine nib as well one of the best of the best fine nibs ever made. My Paragon's cap unfortunately broke, it has been two months since it has been sent to Omas and still no reply.
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#3 Pinmin

Pinmin

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 12:39

QUOTE(georges zaslavsky @ Jun 22 2008, 12:29 PM) View Post
I have one also with a fine nib as well one of the best of the best fine nibs ever made. My Paragon's cap unfortunately broke, it has been two months since it has been sent to Omas and still no reply.

States that it was sent to Omas--Omas Italy or Kenro the Distributor in NY to be sent to Italy?

#4 goodguy

goodguy

Fountain pens and watches collector

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 June 2008 - 14:15

Glad to be of help.
What a gorgeous pen.
I need to correct you though I own the old style Paragon.The old style is lighter and smaller and not as pretty as yours.

Thank you for the review,your pictures are awsome too.

Edited by goodguy, 22 June 2008 - 14:16.

Respect to all

#5 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,078 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:45

QUOTE(Pinmin @ Jun 22 2008, 12:39 PM) View Post
QUOTE(georges zaslavsky @ Jun 22 2008, 12:29 PM) View Post

States that it was sent to Omas--Omas Italy or Kenro the Distributor in NY to be sent to Italy?

No, I live in Europe so it was sent directly to Omas Italy.
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#6 Doug C

Doug C

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:21

Thanks Purpledog.

I have an Arco Milord coming in this week, and your pictures have gotten me fired up again about receiving it. I think you've taken the best pictures I have seen so far of the clip. It really gives me a feel for what the pen will look like.
the Danitrio Fellowship

#7 youstruckgold

youstruckgold

Aspiring Omastery

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:53

[
I bought it for $260 including shipping. It did not come with the original paper and box.

In Australia, that pen is about $850 (around US$807). Where did you get it? (he asks jealously)
The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher - Thomas Huxley
Posted Image

#8 purpledog

purpledog

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 17:27

QUOTE(youstruckgold @ Jun 23 2008, 08:53 AM) View Post
[

In Australia, that pen is about $850 (around US$807). Where did you get it? (he asks jealously)

I bought it from an eBay seller by the name of Tapin. I also got my Orpheos, Pelikan M1000, and Sheaffer Valor from him. He was selling a few Montblanc limited edition pens that were sold for super crazy (low) prices in his previous eBay sale. But I think he only ships within US.

purpledog

Sponsored Content

|