Lamy Vista eyedropper conversion

Siv

SO it's been over a week since I did this and so far so good! No leaks from the pen (either through the section or from the barrel). I have been impressed with the wet line that the Vista puts down but it still starves (though rarely) when I'm writing fast. I have written 2 or 3 pages along with a couple of doodles and there is no sign of any ink being used - it's amazing how much ink this thing holds. Since it's an occasional pen for me, I'll probably not have to refill it for months!

My main objective of this exercise was so nullify my feeling of idiocy when I suggested that the ED conversion could be done with the Vista as is without having seen one or realizing that the ink "window" is actually a hole.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Taki

• Siv

• ZeissIkon

• professionaldilettante

Whoa. That's a ton of ink. I like the sloshing too, but hey I have a lava lamp on my desk here at work so I dig some blobbin.

One question though, how does the silicone grease get into or reaction in anyway with the ink or does it just "stay put" in the threads? I fear that the grease my travel its way into the section of the pen.

Thanks~

This post by Rapt in another eyedropper conversion thread might answer your question. I've had a couple pens converted into eyedropper-fill with silicone grease, but no problems.

:clap1: :clap1: :clap1:

Pedro

Looking for interesting Sheaffer OS Balance pens

Good going, Siv! What a neat solution too. Yeah, an eye dropper is certainly not as convenient as a converter, but with a capacity like that it'll dramatically reduce the number of times to refill. I wonder if it has any effect on the ink flow through the feed (more, less, or no change). Also, it'll be interesting to see if the barrel can be completely cleaned of ink residue (maybe there are crevaces that might be hard to reach). Definitely find the Lamy Vista review and add a link to this write-up as an addendum. :D

I also just realized... if the rollerball body works on the fountain pen section, why did they bother to make an "ink window" version? The whole thing is clear, so it's really unnecessary. :hmm1:

As a side note, I noticed the Vista rollerball body parts are all $10, while the fountain pen body parts are $15. I wonder if the cap is the same design for both. If so, it's not quite fair for Lamy to charge $10 for one and $15 for the other. Does anyone have both types in either a Vista or Safari to check?

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Impressive, to say the least. Did you use an O ring, or some other ingenious method to stop it from leaking? Was it easy?

As for the "Why?" people, it holds more than a converter, and there's no need to fool around with cartridges.

EDIT: Maybe I should have read more carefully first... :embarrassed_smile:

Edited by PigRatAndGoat

Montblanc 145, F nib
Faber Castell E-Motion in Pearwood, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib
Visconti Divina Proporzione 1618, S nib
Montblanc Cool Blue Starwalker, EF nib
Montblanc Solitaire Silver Barley BP
Montblanc Rouge et Noir Coral, M nib

As a side note, I noticed the Vista rollerball body parts are all $10, while the fountain pen body parts are $15. I wonder if the cap is the same design for both. If so, it's not quite fair for Lamy to charge $10 for one and $15 for the other. Does anyone have both types in either a Vista or Safari to check?

I think Taki took a Vista Rollerball and just bought the FP section. This would indicate that the cap is identical for both (Taki can you confirm?) and that the extra $5 in the FP barrel is for the holes!

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

I think Taki took a Vista Rollerball and just bought the FP section. This would indicate that the cap is identical for both (Taki can you confirm?) and that the extra $5 in the FP barrel is for the holes!

Yes, that's correct. My RB cap fits FP section fine, and looks just like Siv's FP cap in his photos. I just tried my white Safari cap on my Vista, and it fits the same way, too.

EDIT: There is one difference on the cap...the tassie has - instead of + on FP.

Edited by Taki

But does the roller barrel also fit on the fountain pen when there's a cartridge inside?

But does the roller barrel also fit on the fountain pen when there's a cartridge inside?

Yes, I tried a converter and it does. But I wanted an eyedropper.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to you guys ; i successfuly completed the eyedropper conversion . I found out that there is a hole at the botom of the roller lower section , just as there is one in the vista fountain pen section . I think this is a design feature (breather hole) , so it has to be there on all lower sections of roller or foutain pen .

Allthough , i successfuly managed to plug this hole i am curious if others also had to do so ,as i didn't see anybody mentioning this in this thread.

regards,

Dev.

• 2 months later...

Help!

I followed the directions, honest. Lamy Vista RB + new FP section + seal the air holes @ the end of the Vista barrel + silicon grease on the section... it still leaks (at the section). Using Noodler's Sunrise highlighting ink.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

John

I followed the directions, honest. Lamy Vista RB + new FP section + seal the air holes @ the end of the Vista barrel + silicon grease on the section... it still leaks (at the section).

Don't be shy with the silicone grease on the section. It should be quite liberally applied to ensure it's an airtight seal.

I have used up a fill without any problems, and then cleaned up mine and put away. I just checked mine but I don't see any holes. My RB is very old - got it when Vista came out. Is the hole a newer feature??

• 8 months later...

Finally caved in - ordered one from one of my regular "fix" suppliers with this weekend's sale and the RB barrel from LamyUSA. I'm curious and eager.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To me, it is a nice subtle change in the pen.

I do like the sloshing action as well. Especially in the picture posted

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/Takif/my_images/IMG_0821.jpg

Do piston filling demonstrators look the same?

I think Lamy cartridge (opaque) and converter (especially the one with red part) are rather unsightly in Vista. I just ordered a Vista section from Lamy U.S.A. ;)

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To me, it is a nice subtle change in the pen.

I do like the sloshing action as well. Especially in the picture posted

Wow, Henry: what a pic! was it photoshopped?

Do piston filling demonstrators look the same?

They do but they have a smaller portion of the barrel for the ink to wander... on the other hand they should have a better flow. Did you experience an inconsistency in flow with your eyedropper Vista?

Thanks

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

I think it's a bit strange that they put the ink window holes in the clear barrel. Why wouldn't they just use the same barrel as the RB?

I think it's a bit strange that they put the ink window holes in the clear barrel. Why wouldn't they just use the same barrel as the RB?

I made a similar point in a review of the Vista. It's one way of differentiating the Vista from the opaque pens in the Safari range.

I hadn't realised that the roller version did away with the ink hole.

Nice conversion, Siv.

Making the barrel identical except for being transparent is a demonstrator tradition; further, it's cheaper to do it that way with injection molded plastics, because the barrel is made in the same mold (rather than needing a separate mold for the demonstrator version of the barrel). And FWIW, I'm pretty sure Lamy didn't envision converting the Vista to eyedropper when they made that version...

Does not always write loving messages.

Does not always foot up columns correctly.

Does not always sign big checks.