Smoothest nibs

Robert Ellis

Pelikan is talked up quite a bit, and well deserved. Even my M250 puts more expensive pens to shame. Sailor also gets rave reviews for smoothness but much less frequently, though they are not as common as Pelikans. I pose the question to those who have experience with both, which is tops?

Cheers.

It's cold outside, I should get more pens.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ednerdtheonly

• Dillo

• Robert Ellis

• DrPJM1

Hi,

Sailor is the smoothest.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Difinitely Sailor.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

Argh, my Sailor 1911 order keeps getting delayed because the factory doesn't have EF nibs :( I want it now so badly!

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Hi Robert,

Generally, Sailor, although even Sailor fountain pens occasionally have scratchy nibs. And not because the tines are out of alignment. On average, though, I reckon Sailor nibs are much smoother than Pelikan nibs.

Of course, smoothness of nibs is also related to the type of nib. An M is smoother than an F or EF, and a B is smoother than an M, etc. Italic nibs generally are less smooth than normal nibs, and here it depends again on the width of the nib and the roundedness.

Provided the tipping material of a nib is of good quality, you can actually have all your pens made into very smooth writers.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

I would love to buy a 1911, but since I've bought this darn pelikan I am put off converter pens. The next closest thing I've found as far as shape is the much more expensive Montblanc. I have not heard MB mentioned for smoothness as often as I have for Pelikan or as emphatically as I have for Sailor. Maybe I will have to buy all of them.

Edited by Robert Ellis

Cheers.

It's cold outside, I should get more pens.

makes me want to sell my Pelikan M200 of 2 months. The pen is just so uninteresting, but the nib is really smooth. I now am in love with Parker 51s and Sailor 1911 :)

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Between the two... Sailor! But then again, not everyone likes a super smooth nib. I enjoy Aurora simply because it has some tooth, and when writing, I like the tactile feedback. When the nib is TOO smooth, I tend to write more sloppy.

Kev

To Cross The Rubicon

Internet Pens

Interesting. My experience is the opposite of most here - my two Pelikan 200s are both quite a bit smoother than my Sailor 1911M demo. The latter has a sweet spot, sort of, but it's hard to find so I usually reach for the Pelikans over the Sailor. I do have a 400 (tortoise - stunning!) that could use some smoothing, though.

"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini

....But then again, not everyone likes a super smooth nib. I enjoy Aurora simply because it has some tooth, and when writing, I like the tactile feedback. When the nib is TOO smooth, I tend to write more sloppy.

Kev

That's exactly what I found.

J

Sailor, but my comparision is to a vintage pelikan 140 with some flex so no basis yet, but the zoom and music nib I have are extra smooth and just amazing.

Tim: The Music Pen Guy

http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/images/pelikan_images/concerto.jpg

http://www.penmuseum.co.uk/images/pelog4.jpghttp://www.penmuseum.co.uk/images/pelog1.jpg

Pelikan Nest

Hi, I sold my sailors and did not like the feel of their nibs. I prefer Pelikan. But if you are looking for a really silky smooth nib, you might try a MB 149 or a modern Conklin or some of the other ones people have mentioned. jc

I have a Sailor 1911 (F) and Pelikans 605 (F) and 200 (XF). The fine Pelikan is smoother but the Sailor is smoother than the XF Pelikan. I'd say it's a toss up. My guess is that a Sailor in a medium nib would be pretty sweet.

Matt

Now that we've got a consensus on Sailor vs. Pelikan (Sailor wins), do we want to have a Sailor vs. Montblanc matchup? Since Bock makes nibs for both Danitrio and Pelikan, I'd guess that these two would be evenly matched. A Sailor/Montblanc comparison anyone?

"I had not the time to write a short one."

-Blaise Pascal

Hi,

They are both quite smooth, but I daresay that Sailor is smoother.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

I enjoy feeling slight tooth in my pens which is why I likely gravitated towards Pelikans. I've never had the opportunity to test-drive a Sailor FP. How does the Sailor nib compare to Danitrio (since, like many, I recently picked up a Densho)?

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~ Oscar Wilde, 1888

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

sailor vs pelikan - sailor

sailor vs montblanc - haven't tried an MB properly yet to give an unbiased answer

sailor vs danis - same as MB

Planning to get me a Dani sometime this year, so i'll give you my answer later, if you don't mind, Paul. Unless someone gifts me an MB, I don't think I will ever know (can't help you at all, ed, sorry).

You can't always get what you want... but if you try sometimes... you just might find... you'll get what you need...