The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Pilot Converters

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 haywoody

haywoody

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 20:56

This thread prompted me to go digging through my pens to look for different versions of Pilot's converters. I found a bunch and I thought this information might be useful...

pilot_converters.jpg

1. Modern Pilot ink cartridge - these have been available since the early 70's and fit almost any pen from that time forward.

2. "Old" CON-20 - squeeze converter with long black plastic connector, the body is a bit wider than the cartridge toward the press-bar so this one can have issues fitting in some small-bodied pens

3. "Middle-aged" CON-20 - squeeze converter with short white plastic connector, same size as #2

4. "Middle-aged" tapered CON-20 - squeeze converter with short white plastic connector, tapered toward the press bar to fit more pens, same size as modern CON-20

5. "Middle-aged" oversized CON-20 - squeeze converter with white short plastic connector, extra long version with approximately 15% greater capacity

6. Modern CON-20 - squeeze converter with blue plastic connector, common and currently available

7. CON-50 - twist / piston converter, currently available

8. CON-70 - monster pump converter, currently available but seems to only fit some larger modern Pilot pens

9. W-spares ink cartridge - made during the mid-to-late 60's, small capacity. The idea was that you could keep a spare in the barrel and change to the reserve if you ran out.

10. W-spares cartridges with coupler - this little metal gadget let you connect two W-spares cartridges to keep the extra from rattling around inside your pen

11. Old CON-W - squeeze converter with black plastic connector, made to fit pens compatible with W-spares cartridges

12. Modern CON-W - squeeze converter with blue plastic connector, fits W-spares pens and seems to still be available if you look hard enough

I am not sure of the model numbers for the older converters. Feel free to add or correct if you have additional information. I know there is a mini converter and maybe cartridges out there that fit the small pens like the Birdie and Penko.... and maybe others.

It would be nice to create a compatibility chart but I am not even sure where to begin.

/Woody

Sponsored Content

#2 HMA Kieran

HMA Kieran

hmabells

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2008 - 21:45

Excellent information - Many thanks !

Best wishes

HK

#3 Nikolaos

Nikolaos

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 09:25

Very useful !!! Thanks for the effort Woody, well done!

Nikolaos

#4 HDoug

HDoug

First Class Forever

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,814 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2008 - 21:11

Thanks for posting this reference, Woody. Here's another one that came with my Pilot Ecrino. It's the top one in the pic, next to a current CON-20 for comparison. It's simply the sac with a metal band looped around it. Simple and cheap, and works fine. I have no idea what the model number is etc.

Doug

Edited by HDoug, 14 June 2008 - 21:12.

#5 jmkeuning

jmkeuning

Stick a fork in me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 21:25

This is great!
Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

#6 Taki

Taki

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:21

Woody, thank you very much for the very useful info and the nice photos thumbup.gif

#7 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 June 2008 - 17:59

Great reference info here, Woody -- thanks a lot for going to the trouble (I'm glad I prompted you wink.gif ). This is very useful to have, as it is easy to forget Pilot converter specifics. Saved and stowed for future reference. I think it's a good candidate for a sticky.

~Gary

[MYU's Pen Review Corner]   |   "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#8 Dillo

Dillo

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 6,643 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:20

Nice! There was also a Con-20 that was made in Korea. It had a dark blue sac. I have the shell and sac here, but the blue plastic connector on all of mine were broken.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Dillon

#9 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,652 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2013 - 18:33

Hi Woody, nice resource. I am 5 years late, but I think it will still help if I am add some pics of the hoop style squeeze converters that Pilot used to supply with the Birdie, Superior and other entry level models.

IMG_8808.jpg

IMG_8809.jpg

IMG_8810.jpg

The Pliglass sacs are from my birdie of 1980s.

Best

Hari

Edited by hari317, 06 August 2013 - 18:40.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#10 proton007

proton007

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:17

Nice!

The Con 70 I think is one of the biggest converters among all pen brands, the only competition would be piston fillers.  A  pretty neat idea.

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

#11 ArchiMark

ArchiMark

Pen Nut & Pretty Good Guy

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 August 2013 - 15:53

Great converter collection....thanks for sharing it!

Will add one to the mix.....the push button CON-70 (?) that came with my Namiki Yukari Royale...

P1050792_zps0d6bbf54.jpg

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

Current Pens: Cross, Delta, Montegrappa, Parker, Wahl-Eversharp

#12 Pen_Samurai

Pen_Samurai

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2013 - 00:35

WOW! Great post! Thanx!

#13 Dillo

Dillo

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 6,643 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:12

Hi,

The I also have the Pilot Con-20 with the hoop, white tip, and blue sac just like the one in Hari's post. It came with a long Pilot Elite with a steel nib made in the 80's. The pen came from Japan. I think the fit and finish is actually quite nice. Pilot's Con-20 converters are quite well finished compared to many other press-bar converters I have seen.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Dillon

Sponsored Content

|