Aurora Talentum

jonro

http://www.s162256685.onlinehome.us/FPN/Talentum2.jpg

First Impressions
The box is nice enough, but I didn’t buy the pen for the box. The Talentum, with its black resin body and contrasting silver-colored trim makes a good impression. The first thing I did was to run a little soapy water through the converter followed by a fresh water rinse. Whether it was necessary or not, the pen started up perfectly after the feed dried and I filled it with ink.

Appearance (4/5)
The fit and finish on the pen is excellent. The pen is long and cylindrical, but the body tapers off a bit towards the end of the pen. The cap unscrews in a very smooth turn and a half. The end cap has no logo or ornamentation, but the cap band has Aurora and Italy engraved on opposite sides and some nice machining for definition. I would have preferred a little more detail, such as an Aurora logo on the end cap and on the side of the barrel. This may not be their top of the line pen, but it’s far from an inexpensive pen. An Aurora logo at the top of the cap would add a lot to the Talentum’s handsome appearance. Despite the Talentum’s flawless construction, I downgraded it slightly for its handsome but generic looks. At this price point, especially coming from a manufacturer with a long history, I expect more design embellishments on a pen.

Design/Size/Weight (4.5/5)
The pen is more or less the same size and weight as the Pelikan 800 series. I prefer to post my pens, but the Talentum is a little unbalanced towards the rear when posted. This is probably because both metal end caps are both pointed towards the rear when when the pen is posted. However, the pen is long enough to write with posted or unposted. I mentioned that the body of the pen is tapered. This allows the cap to post more securely and prevents the pen from becoming too long and unbalanced when posting, a nice design feature. The metal trim is solid and tasteful. The metal clip is sturdy and seems to be made of a flexible metal that performs its function well.

The build quality of the Talentum is excellent. The cap unscrews very smoothly from the body as does the section from the body.

Nib (5/5)
I like this nib! One of the things that attracted me to the Aurora is that they are one of the few fountain pen companies extant that make their own nibs and the nib does not disappoint. My Talentum came with a fine, rhodium-plated 14K nib. It is nice and smooth with enough toothiness to give me excellent control. I was told that the Talentum has an ebonite feed. I assume that is true. The feed keeps up with the pen very nicely and I do see the sheen of ink adsorbed on the surface of the feed. I get the impression that one could keep this pen uncapped longer than most pens with open nibs and have it continue to write.

http://www.s162256685.onlinehome.us/FPN/Talentum3.jpg

Filling System (4/5)
The Talentum is a C/C filler. There’s not much more to say about that except that this pen would be a real competitor to the similarly sized Pelikan m800 if it were a piston filler. It still is if you don’t mind refilling the converter more often.

Cost and Value
I believe the retail price for this model Talentum is $325.00. I would not call it an outstanding value at that price because it’s not a piston filler and the pen body has few embellishments. If you buy it at a decent discount from the list price, it is a very good value because the excellent fit and finish and the superior quality of the writing experience.

Conclusion (4.5/5)
This is is a true writer’s pen. I can see it becoming one of my primary pens for long stretches of writing. The build quality of the Talentum is excellent. This pen caught me off guard. I had read some positive reviews about it and knew that Aurora has an excellent reputation, but when I wrote with it for the first time, I enjoyed it more than I expected. This is quite an excellent pen and I think I’ll keep it in rotation for a while.

http://www.s162256685.onlinehome.us/FPN/Talentum1.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jonro

• sumgaikid

• Bill D

• Shelley

Sounds like a good price.

Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right

to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers,

and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie. Revelation 22:14-15

The box is nice enough, but I didn’t buy the pen for the box.

What do you mean you didnt buy the pen for the box ? the box is the most important part,the pen is just a stick you fill with ink and leave in the box as an ornemant :ltcapd:

Thank you for the interesting and informative review.I am waiting for an Aurora pen myself (Nobeli).I heard lots of stuff about Aurora toothy F nibs and decided not to risk it so I ordered thr Nobeli with a M nib.

I love the Talentum but I find the design to be just a bit too modern for me and is dissapointed that its not a piston filler but all in all it looks like a great pen and a wonderful writer.

Enjoy your pen.

Respect to all

The Talentum is a lovely pen, I ended up going for the Optima, but it was a close thing, you should look at the 88 as well!

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

I just received my new Talentum from Pam, and I love it :) Mine is burgundy and gold with a medium nib. I agree with this review's points.

Bill

Edited by Bill Dodson

Jonro,

Great review and great pics! I have to agree with all that you said,especially that 1)It would look better with some

embellishment(cap ends or otherwise);and 2)It should have a piston filler. Aurora makes some eye-catching pens

that are great writers--the reason that I have been blessed to have an original Sole and an 88 with a gold-filled cap

and sweet stub nib. My choice of Talentum(if that's possible)would be a burgundy model w/gold trim--to have the cap

and barrel as a gold overlay in a pattern w/the burgundy showing through.... :puddle:

John

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

Thanks for the great review and great pictures. I have my eye on this pen. I can't decide if I should pursue it, or stick with pursuing the colored Van Goghs, especially considering the prices of the two. I have the black Maxi, so I'm hesitant to purchase another black pen. I suppose many people have more than one black pen(?). I need to see the Aurora in person and test drive it; I'm a little worried about a toothy nib compared to my Viscontis. But, I'm definitely drawn to this pen. :thumbup:

elcincogrande

• 1 month later...

Jonro,

I have a Talentum just like yours, and I love it too! Very smooth and balanced, and I agree that the fit and finish is outstanding!

Dale

"The worst of all fears is the fear of living." Theodore Roosevelt

http://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/LetterExchange_sm.pnghttp://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/PostcardExchange_sm.png

The Talentum is indeed a great pen. It has been overshadowed by the Optima and the 88 within Aurora's offerings. All three models (Optima, 88, and Talentum) have the same nib and feed.

I have often wondered why Aurora's pens tend to be priced just a tad higher than equivalent pens from Pelikan. The lower price gives Pelikan a huge advantage in the marketplace.

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

The Talentum is indeed a great pen. It has been overshadowed by the Optima and the 88 within Aurora's offerings. All three models (Optima, 88, and Talentum) have the same nib and feed.

I have often wondered why Aurora's pens tend to be priced just a tad higher than equivalent pens from Pelikan. The lower price gives Pelikan a huge advantage in the marketplace.

I was at the Miami Pen Show today. Aurora had a booth and I discovered that the Optima, while not a small pen, is smaller than the Aurora. Also, Aurora is about to release a yellow version of the Talentum that looks very sharp.

Jon

I was at the Miami Pen Show today. Aurora had a booth and I discovered that the Optima, while not a small pen, is smaller than the Aurora. Also, Aurora is about to release a yellow version of the Talentum that looks very sharp.

Jon

Really? Is it an all yellow pen? A shade of yellow akin to the Parker Duofold? Does it rate more than 10 out of 10

on the D/S(droolability scale)? :puddle:

BTW,did you mean that the Optima is smaller than the Talentum?

John

Edited by sumgaikid

Jon

Really? Is it an all yellow pen? A shade of yellow akin to the Parker Duofold? Does it rate more than 10 out of 10

John

Oops. Yes, I meant that the Optima is smaller than the Talentum. The distributor mentioned that he has had numerous requests for a piston filler Talentum. I wouldn't be surprised if Aurora gets the message. The new Talentum is a bight yellow. I didn't have a Duofold handy for a comparison, but it's probably similar. It's a nice shade. If I had the choice when I bought my Talentum, I probably would have bought the yellow (since I have plenty of black pens).

Jon

Jon

John

Oops. Yes, I meant that the Optima is smaller than the Talentum. The distributor mentioned that he has had numerous requests for a piston filler Talentum. I wouldn't be surprised if Aurora gets the message. The new Talentum is a bight yellow. I didn't have a Duofold handy for a comparison, but it's probably similar. It's a nice shade. If I had the choice when I bought my Talentum, I probably would have bought the yellow (since I have plenty of black pens).

Jon

Jon,

Thanks for the info. I thought that it might be that shade of yellow. May have to wait on getting one;just won a Tsugaru-nuri

on fleabay for a good price today........ :thumbup:

John

Jon

John

Jon

I like the sky blue talentum and this one black and chrome - it not very often I like a black pen but this one and the optima black and chrome really do it for me.... I am hovering and just dont know which one to get!

So I'm opinionated - get over it!!.......No, really - get over it!!

Hmmmm I was going to put up a WANTS list - but that's too long as well ......

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png