Invisible FP in eBay

POE

what a pity. i saw this two days ago and was thinking... "can i have my dad bid on this one?"

I'm after Snorkels right now.

To think this was one... :bonk:

Pens in Rotation:

Parker 51 Aerometric, somewhere between XF and F

Parker 45 Flighter, F nib

Sheaffer Agio, F nib

Sheaffer Snorkel, M5 nib

Sailor Lecoule, F nib

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• POE

• Univer

• Maja

• jmkeuning

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello again,

I thank you, POE, for taking the trouble to point out the additional listing verbiage that I did, indeed, miss.

The seller certainly did the right thing by disclosing that a nib swap had been made. Odd, though - the reference to the nib exchange being the sort of thing that only a sufficiently advanced collector might catch. While I'm not holding myself out as an expert, I would never catch it...simply because the resulting pen conforms in every respect to the profile of a Clipper. There are parts exchanges that create Frankenpens that anyone might catch (e.g., a non-Lifetime nib in a Lifetime pen), and there are more subtle inconsistencies that might indeed require more specialized knowledge (e.g., a mismatch of nib and feed). But as you rightly surmise, a Snorkel Sentinel whose 14K nib has been switched with a PdAg nib "becomes" a Clipper, sort-of. (It didn't leave the factory that way, and yes, its existence means that there's one more Clipper {and one less Sentinel} than Sheaffer actually produced - it's not a formally correct pen, but not much more "incorrect" than a pen that has had a nib swapped out for one of a different point size, to my mind.)

So the PdAg nib is "wrong" only in the sense that it's a replacement, and the seller was aware of that fact. But not "wrong" in the sense that the nib swap created anything other than an authentic Sheaffer model. (Sure wish all eBay sellers were that conscientious!)

I herewith relinquish all claims to the Kewpie Doll. (Don't really want one, anyway.)

Cheers,

Jon

• 3 weeks later...

He put up another mystery pen. This is a really cool idea.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...y0%3D%26fvi%3D1

Anyone have any guesses? I don't have the foggiest idea what they could be. What 1930's pens are smaller, have major clip problems and come in colors like these?

POE

".....Then he showed those men of will what will really was."

-Verbal Kint-

The Usual Suspects

Hmmm...hoping a few more clues get tossed out over the course of the auction.

Since it's a Big Four brand, my first thought is Wahl-Eversharp. Their celluloids are very prone to crystallization - a fault called out in the middle pen. The colors could certainly be W-E colors, and W-E made lots of pens in the relevant size range. W-E nibs were often delightfully flexy. I haven't personally encountered a huge number of examples with missing clips, but that's strictly my own experience, and I'm not a focused W-E collector.

On the other hand, Conklin was also a Big Four brand, by most accounts, until around 1930...when W-E took their spot. And heaven knows Conklins are famous for losing their clips. Conklin nibs, too, are often quite flexible. I'm not really feeling Conklin, though.

So I'm guessing W-E as the brand - maybe even the W-E Oxford sub-brand.

Thanks for posting the link; it'll be fun to watch this one.

Cheers,

Jon

Not sure of the model, but it sounds like (based on the eBay writeup) that the clips were somehow attached to the top of the pen, thus the need to "fill(ed) the tops of the cap in"...... :hmm1:

The Parker Duette, Moderne and Premier pens had such clips, but they aren't particularly easy-to-find pens, I've found....

Could they be Parker Parco or Parkette or Challenger pens?

I dunno....I'm not a vintage Parker expert! Any thoughts from the Parkerites out there? :lol:

Interesting auction, in any case!

OOO OOO OOO I know!! I know this one!

Hee hee. What about the little Waterman 3v sizes. Didn't they have clips that connected on top of the cap? I have one here that does. There is a little hexagon cut out in the top middle of the cap. The middle one in the pic looks like my color also.

POE

-Verbal Kint-

The Usual Suspects

what, no ones playing this time?

-Verbal Kint-

The Usual Suspects

• 3 weeks later...
OOO OOO OOO I know!! I know this one!

Hee hee. What about the little Waterman 3v sizes. Didn't they have clips that connected on top of the cap? I have one here that does. There is a little hexagon cut out in the top middle of the cap. The middle one in the pic looks like my color also.

POE

Bravo, POE! :clap1:

I just checked the completed auction and the pens in question were (quote)"2 Waterman 3V and 1 earlier 52 1/2V in the same model/body size"(end quote) according to this post by the seller.

Yippieeee. Go me! lol.

I wonder when he's going to do another one?

-Verbal Kint-

The Usual Suspects

I think it's actually a pretty cool idea.

I love mystery packages that arrive at my door - and what could be better than a surprise pen.

As long as he really dosn't "stick" you - it's great!

What do you think? Will people really bid on this? I like this guys auctions & how it seems like he's just talking to you in the description, but this seems like a pretty strange idea.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...y0%3D%26fvi%3D1

POE

<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 --><a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.musingcrowdesigns.com'>Musing Crow Designs

Well from what I've seen & what it says in the description he won't do that to his buyers. The first one was a nice Snorkel Sentinel and these were 3 Waterman's. If he keeps on this track I see these becoming very popular acuctions. I sent him an email last night asking when he's doing another one. His response.

"Hi POE, Thanks for contacting me, it's good to hear from you again. I'm delighted your enjoying my 'invisible' pen auctions. I've been having a lot of fun with them as well. The next one will be going up some time this weekend. More likely than not, Saturday evening. I'll not give you any behind the scenes hints of whats going up, but let me say it's one KILLER classic pen that every collector/user should own at least once."

Ok, so he's got my attention. I can't wait to see whatcomes up.

POE

-Verbal Kint-

The Usual Suspects