Parker Gel Refills

I find the Parker 0.7 gel refills kind of thickish to write with, not as smooth as the very best rollerballs, and I did have one that "blurped" ink for no good reason, fortunately not in my pocket.

Prefer Lamy, Schmidt Cap-Less and Waterman refills for rollers, in that order.

Lamy M62 refill is my favorite.

The Waterman refill is pretty good. Dries out a bit fast and has feedback. Better refill than the MB roller refill, IMO.

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Frank_ie

• inkypete

• Pippin60

• jimhughes

The Itoya, Parker style Gel refil that I got for my Marvy, St. Tropez II pen is the reason why I'm here at FPN. I fell in love with writing!! Seriously, these gel refills are buttery smooth and they put down rich colorful ink. Since I discovered FNP, I've bought a Waterman fountain pen, but I still love to write with my Marvy's with the Itoya refills... truly a fantastic writing experience. They have never skipped on me and always put down a consistent line. Here are a few photos for you. I just received the new colored ink today from Todd at isellpens.com. Enjoy!

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x75/gawain33/st_tropez1.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x75/gawain33/st_tropez2.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x75/gawain33/st_tropez3.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x75/gawain33/st_tropez4.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x75/gawain33/st_tropez5.jpg

Thoreau "for every thousand hacking at the branches of evil, there is one chopping at the root"

• 3 months later...

I followed the advice and bought the Visconti Gel refill for Parker and stuck it in my Aurora Auroloide Green Ballpoint. Awesome! Just off the scale awesome! A 1.0mm line wet and fluid and thick and unctuous! Then about an hour ago and about three weeks into it it stopped writing. I don't know whether the cause was dust blocking the ball or something else. I do know that this is a common curse with ballpoints and rollerballs - they just get blocked and stop working, bummer. So I googled a few possible fixes - writing on glass, heating with a lighter or match - none of them worked. Any ideas? It's a lot of money wasted if I can't get the darn thing to start again.

I followed the advice and bought the Visconti Gel refill for Parker and stuck it in my Aurora Auroloide Green Ballpoint. Awesome! Just off the scale awesome! A 1.0mm line wet and fluid and thick and unctuous! Then about an hour ago and about three weeks into it it stopped writing. I don't know whether the cause was dust blocking the ball or something else. I do know that this is a common curse with ballpoints and rollerballs - they just get blocked and stop working, bummer. So I googled a few possible fixes - writing on glass, heating with a lighter or match - none of them worked. Any ideas? It's a lot of money wasted if I can't get the darn thing to start again.

How much have you used it? Its perfectly possible to run out of ink with even 3 weeks moderate daily use, especially with a wet and broad tip.

David

I've been using the Parker gel refills in the ballpoint pen that matches my Duofold pearl and black Centenial fountain pen since they were introduced. They've come from WalMart, Staples, and vendors at a couple of pen shows and every single one has worked flawlessly - never any skipping or blobbing. Perhaps they only come in black, but in any event, that's the color I use. I'm trying a Visconti broad rollerball refill currently in another pen and I love the smoothness, but it always blobs upon start up, so I need to wipe it before each use. Also, at $5 a pop, that's way more expensive than the Parker.

Contrary to many others, I have had zero problems with my Parker Gel refills. I've probably had them in several pens for 4-5 years and they never cease to write, never blob, and don't skip. I used to love the .5mm refills, but they're no longer available, so it/s .7mm all the way. However, I do find that they run out pretty quickly, which is a quality of all the gel refills, AFIK. But I really like them. Much more than the Itoya refills that HAVE blobbed and skipped on me pretty badly.

I have not tried the Yafa or Visconti products.

Skip

Skip Williams

www.skipwilliams.com/blog

I bought some of these a while back as a refill for one of my Husband's pens. "Best pen I've ever wrote with." Hey. Whatever makes him happy. I've tried it several times and have not ever had a problem. No blobs or skips.

:happycloud9:

Cathy L. Carter

Live. Love. Write.

• 2 weeks later...

I find the Visconti gel to be a smoother writer than the Parker. Has anyone tried the Monteverde Parker style?

Regards,

MaxP

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." - Abraham Lincoln

The first one I tried was junk and I threw it away. I now have a 0.7 mm one in blue and it writes like a dream -- amongst the best rollerballs I've written with. I'd just prefer a finer line. Based on all the love/hate comments about these refills, I'd hypothesize that Parker has a quality control problem.

I've never had a skipping problem I just find they run dry very quickly so I stated using the Schmidt Parker compatible refills.

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

I think the thing about the Parker gels, is to throw them away as soon as they skip! Unfortunately, that's pretty early. If one gets sucked into giving them a try at writing longer, they will continue to write, but continue to skip, for a long time.

I am also in love with the Itoya gel replacements. When they start to skip, open the pen and you will see the clear tube is... EMPTY! (although I have had two out of my first thirty skip half way through, and had to toss them).

Is there a volunteer to comprehensively review this topic?

BTW, I am also a Temecula fan on Ebay, (consumer only). He made up for the two that skipped in my next order.

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness

Yes, use a Lysol wipe - the type for kitchen and bath. They look like baby wipes (but don't use baby wipes they have oils on them- bad). For dirty ball points, roller balls, gels, this has worked most often for me. Wipe the writing end, it first won't write because its wet, but wait a bit, if it writes, you're good, if not, well, not.

I just got in the mail Parker compatible refills from Yafa, their own brand. They are clear and seem to hold a lot of ink. The ink itself seems fine but i just tried it.

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

Irecently bought two Schmidt refills from Pendamonium for my father's old T-Ball Jotter.I have had it since he passed in 1977. Haven't used it much because I don't like ballpoints. The Parker brand refill worked well but was a medium and I prefer a fine point. The Schmidt fills the bill and I now use the old girl on a daily basis.

my vote goes to Schmidt capless RB refills (Parker Style) :thumbup:

x2

Ugh. I'm not huge on Parker Gel refills, personally. I much prefer Diplomat easy flow refills and Monteverde (Shmidt?) gels.

Wanted List: Pelikan M800 F; GvFC Pernambuco F

• 6 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I just bought 2 fine green Monteverde "ceramic gel" refills for my Parker ball point pen and so far they're performing perfectly. They're smooth writers and the colour is most appealing. How long they last is yet to be seen. I need ballpoints for carbonless paper duplicates.

I've never had too much of an issue with the Parker gel refills. The 0.7mm tip writes much thicker than I'd like (when compared to a Pilot G2 or a Uniball 307 0.7mm pen - closer to the 307, but still thicker than I'd like for a 0.7mm pen).

Edited by Conan the Grammarian

Conan the Grammarian

“No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film.” ~ Robert Adams

“Aerodynamics are for people who can’t build engines” ~ Enzo Ferrari

Cogito ergo spud. [i think therefore I yam.]

+1 for Monteverde refills. Be mindful that there is seven year gap between the third & fourth post above. Things may have moved on in the refill world !

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

+1 for Monteverde refills. Be mindful that there is seven year gap between the third & fourth post above. Things may have moved on in the refill world !

So true. I can't even remember starting this thread. Mind you I am still not a fan of the Parker Gel refills.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png