Nakaya Double Review

Doug C

Thanks Doug,

I found the photos on the Nakaya site, but your real world comparison photos have answered all my questions but one: what will be my next purchase?

gary

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Doug C

• ethernautrix

• Phthalo

• BMG

Thanks Doug,

I found the photos on the Nakaya site, but your real world comparison photos have answered all my questions but one: what will be my next purchase?

gary

Send me the money, and I'll make all the choices for you....

It will be a while before I get another one, but I am thinking for my third and possibly last Nakaya the list will consist of :

Either the Kikyo (blue) or the purple-something completely different

The elastic nib.

Possibly a zogan (the little diamond shaped insert near the nib on the section

Either the portable body or another Piccolo with a clip.

The decisions are half the fun.

the Danitrio Fellowship

Lovely pens! Always happy to see Nakaya beauties being enjoyed! :)

My third is in the works...! :wub:

I can't wait to see the next 'real' review of another Nakaya. Phthalo, any teasers as to what it will be? Another Piccolo?

the Danitrio Fellowship

I have just this morning sent my Piccolo to Classic Fountain Pens for a nib exchange. The XXF was just too fine. I'll get an F instead. I also sent them my Visconti Metropolis -- cos the F was too fat! Two GORGEOUS pens -- one urushi, the other sterling; one beautiful for its simplicity, the other tantalizingly mechanical; both with nibs that need to meet in the middle (meaning, one is too fine, the other not fine enough). So it's kindv funny -- the odd couple.

But they'll be perfect when they come home, I'm sure of it!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I have just this morning sent my Piccolo to Classic Fountain Pens for a nib exchange. The XXF was just too fine. I'll get an F instead. I also sent them my Visconti Metropolis -- cos the F was too fat! Two GORGEOUS pens -- one urushi, the other sterling; one beautiful for its simplicity, the other tantalizingly mechanical; both with nibs that need to meet in the middle (meaning, one is too fine, the other not fine enough). So it's kindv funny -- the odd couple.

But they'll be perfect when they come home, I'm sure of it!

Ethernautrix, did you buy your Nakaya from Mottishaw, or is he doing this as a representative of Nakaya?

the Danitrio Fellowship

Ethernautrix, did you buy your Nakaya from Mottishaw, or is he doing this as a representative of Nakaya?

Yes, I bought the Nakaya via Mottishaw.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Thank you for the review, and the pictures. I also got a Piccolo a few weeks back, after a long wait. I ordered it through John Mottishaw because I wanted the ink flow to be adjusted. The wait was completely worthwhile. The Fine writes like a European Extra Fine, with constant, even, generous flow.

Thank you for the review, and the pictures. I also got a Piccolo a few weeks back, after a long wait. I ordered it through John Mottishaw because I wanted the ink flow to be adjusted. The wait was completely worthwhile. The Fine writes like a European Extra Fine, with constant, even, generous flow.

Judging by the way that the Nakaya section of his website keeps getting updated and expanded, I'm guessing that Mottishaw's decision to carry this brand has been a raging success.

the Danitrio Fellowship

• 3 weeks later...

Great review, Doug. How are the pens holding up? :)

I hadn't realized there was such a dramatic price jump for the black Piccolo--I would probably have ordered one. But I still have my sights on a decapod, in Kuro-tamenuri.

One thing I'm curious about--I noticed that John's website doesn't show all of the accessories you see on Nakaya's website. Can you still order them through John? Just $20-25 for a nicely crafted pen pouch seems like a no-brainer given the price of the pen, yet John doesn't show them anywhere. I'm probably going to order directly through Nakaya if his avenue is limited.

Anyway, with the price of fuel affecting prices all over the globe, I have to imagine prices will jump again... might be a good idea to get an order in sooner.

Regards,

~Gary

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

I hadn't realized there was such a dramatic price jump for the black Piccolo--I would probably have ordered one. But I still have my sights on a decapod, in Kuro-tamenuri.

One thing I'm curious about--I noticed that John's website doesn't show all of the accessories you see on Nakaya's website. Can you still order them through John? Just $20-25 for a nicely crafted pen pouch seems like a no-brainer given the price of the pen, yet John doesn't show them anywhere. I'm probably going to order directly through Nakaya if his avenue is limited.

Anyway, with the price of fuel affecting prices all over the globe, I have to imagine prices will jump again... might be a good idea to get an order in sooner.

Regards,

~Gary

Gary, I think his site says that they will order anything, but he does have his bias'. When I ordered my Decapod from him, I originally wanted an elastic nib, but he didnt want to order it. He talked me into a soft and flexible medium. My Piccolo has a soft and flexible fine.

By the way, are you talking about the pen pillow? They're $20 and $25, but actual leather pouches are $150.

In my review you can see that there was a considerable difference in my wait times for the two pens, and I have read some posts from others saying it is getting much worse.

(BTW, that is exactly why I ordered the Piccolo in black-a little too steep at $405 (with the Kanji I got on it), but a bargain at $275...and they are holding up beautifully. I use one or both at least once a week since I got them, no matter what other pens I have inked.

Edited by Doug C

the Danitrio Fellowship

Gary, I think his site says that they will order anything, but he does have his bias'. When I ordered my Decapod from him, I originally wanted an elastic nib, but he didnt want to order it. He talked me into a soft and flexible medium. My Piccolo has a soft and flexible fine.

By the way, are you talking about the pen pillow? They're $20 and $25, but actual leather pouches are $150.

In my review you can see that there was a considerable difference in my wait times for the two pens, and I have read some posts from others saying it is getting much worse.

(BTW, that is exactly why I ordered the Piccolo in black-a little too steep at $405 (with the Kanji I got on it), but a bargain at $275...and they are holding up beautifully. I use one or both at least once a week since I got them, no matter what other pens I have inked.

Interesting--I wonder why John discouraged you from the elastic nib. Maybe due to their fragile nature? About the pouches, the fabric ones are $20 and $25. They're not shown on Nibs.com.

Regarding your wait time, I take it Nakaya was faster with the Piccolo. I have to wonder if the decapod takes a bit more time to craft, thus the added time. Plus, going through Mottishaw, the pen has to go there first and pass his examination before sending to you, which adds time as well. But anyway, glad to hear the pens are holding up nicely. :)

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

• 2 months later...

Beauties and I'm plunging too! A question....

I am ordering a redish-red cigar and am prepared to wait as long as it takes for this work of art.

I would like the pen to write between a Sailro H-MF and H-M. What do you recommend as the nib size?

Beauties and I'm plunging too! A question....

I am ordering a redish-red cigar and am prepared to wait as long as it takes for this work of art.

I would like the pen to write between a Sailro H-MF and H-M. What do you recommend as the nib size?

I don't have experience with those Sailor nibs but, other than Danitrio's (which use Bock nibs), Nakayas are basically Platinum nibs, which means they are sized like most Japanese nibs. My Flexible medium is slightly narrower than most of my Bock fine nibs, and my Nakaya fine is just a tiny bit narrower than my Vanishing Point fine.

I hope that helps

the Danitrio Fellowship

• 2 months later...

I saw that no one responded to why John Mottishaw discourages from ordering the elastic nib. Here is the response I received from one of the workers at his company:

The truth is that we are not terribly fond of the Elastic nib. It has a cut-out in each of the shoulders that is meant to increase the flexibility. However, what John has found is that it is in the wrong place on the nib to effectively increase the flexibility for writing. In fact, it structurally weakens the nib making it more susceptible to damage.

m( _ _ )m (– , –) \ (^_^) /

Regards,

~Gary

Nakaya includes a single pen pouch with each order, that is the dark blue one. It doesn't show on the bill so must be on the house. The leather pen carrier must be ordered separately; pricey but can be used for other valuable pens, too ...

• 2 years later...

Can anyone tell me which Nakaya would best compare to the size and weight of a Montblanc 149 or Visconti HS?

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded how much he had learned in the last seven years.

--Mark Twain

Can anyone tell me which Nakaya would best compare to the size and weight of a Montblanc 149 or Visconti HS?

The portable writer is probably closest in size. Weight is much harder to compare to the MB. The MB's brass piston means the balance is completely different and it's heavier than most Nakayas. I've no experience with the Visconti.

D A N i T R i O f e l l o w s h i p

Wow, I'm so jealous. Beautiful pens and great review. I want to get the Piccolo and Mini Decapod in the future. I wonder if Mottishaw is able to get the pen with my name on it as well.

Btw, what is that green jade ball thing?

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

You can get pretty close to a Montblanc 146 with the portable writer, but I don't know of a Nakaya with anything like the girth or heft of the 149.