The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Lamy CP1

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 DerekB

DerekB

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 21:44

Here's my first shot at a pen review...hope you all enjoy

review.jpg

Here's a quick textual rundown in case my handwriting is illegible.

First Impressions: Short and skinny...probably too much so for many people. I like it. The Lamy style is really my kind of thing, and this pen is probably second only to the 2000 in its aesthetic appeal (in my opinion).

Appearance/Weight: Extremely minimalistic. Will not stand out in a crowd, except maybe for its diminutive stature. The finish is a matte black titanium oxide deal that feels nice to the touch...not counterproductively smooth, but not intrusively grippy, either. Weight might be an issue...it's a little too light when not posted, and fairly top-heavy when posted.

Nib: The usual stainless steel Lamy nib. I like it a lot, and when it's attached to a higher-end pen (relative to the Safari) it feels even better.

Filling System: C/C, Converter was included.

Cost/Value: Lists for 70, bought it for 50, I'm perfectly happy with that. Maybe not a great "value" per-se considering that you can get a Safari with the same nib for 20-ish dollars, but like I said, the upscale body makes it more enjoyable.

Overall: Great for me and for other minimal-pen-design enthusiasts, but probably shouldn't be your first Lamy...try a Safari first.

Here's a beauty shot, sullied only by the usual Noodler's nib creep:

1.JPG

Here's a shot of the tail-end, with that weird little part unscrewed.

2.JPG

Side by side CP1 and 2000 shot. Brother and sis, together at last

3.JPG

Sponsored Content

#2 Have Fun

Have Fun

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 22:11

Its very nice to see against the 2000

I don't think the end should unscrew (it doesn't on my Linea) I suggest you e mail Lamy

I prefer the Linea posted so give it a few tries & you may find its balance improves ~ the end socket is a perfect design for posting & will not cause wear rings on the barrel

#3 skinnyPens

skinnyPens

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 22:12

Very nice review! I like that you included the writing sample too. I may have to check this pen out.

Thanks!
I like skinny Pens.
no more pens for me (she says she says)
unless of course I see a Silver Stripe Pilot Capless come up for sale.
then all resolutions are out the window!
=

#4 HDoug

HDoug

First Class Forever

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 June 2008 - 22:29

Thanks for the review. The CP1 is a pen that I've been curious about for a while. I didn't realize that the clip on it was so similar to the one on the 2000 -- thanks for your pix! Handwriting is perfectly legible.

Doug

#5 Brian

Brian

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 23:20

Thanks for the review. I like it and your pen.

#6 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,850 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:06

Thanks for this nice review, CP1 is one of my favorite pens!

Regards,
Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#7 Martius

Martius

Big Flex

• Member - Gold

• 1,021 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 June 2008 - 18:30

Ooo! Haven't seen one of these before. I will have to look into getting one.
"Can I see Arcturus from where I stand?" -RPW

#8 Dillo

Dillo

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,643 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 19:42

Hi,

On my mom's CP1, the end cap does unscrew like that.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Dillon

#9 QM2

QM2

• Member - Gold

• 4,875 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 22:18

How does that section feel? I wonder whether the rippled/bumpy texture is comfortable to grip? And what is the function of the cap unscrewing? I was excited when I first saw the picture, thinking it was a piston, but then read that it was C/C.

#10 RLTodd

RLTodd

Thor's Legions

• Member - Gold

• 3,240 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2008 - 00:43

Too me, it looked more like a deluxe Safari gussied up in 2000 trim. Not unattractive, but more an exercise in form than of function.
YMMV

#11 the joan collins special

the joan collins special

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 17:36

I was considering getting one of these a while back but wasn't too sure so I went with the 2000 instead. I might have to reconsider now and test one out.
Thanks for the review and great pictures.

#12 JFT

JFT

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 15:03

Thanks for the review!

Your review convinced me that the the CP1 but you DID sold me on getting Kiowa Pecan roflmho.gif
Lamy AL-star - 1.1 (Omas Violet)
Nakaya Celluloid Mottishaw F Flex (PR Arabian Rose)
Omas Bologna - M (Noodler's Golden Brown)
Pelikan M620 Grand Place - Binder XF/XXF Flex (Noodler's Navajo Turquoise)
Stipula 22 - 0.9 (Waterman Florida Blue)
Waterman Patrician - M (Waterman Florida Blue)

#13 brothersoulshine

brothersoulshine

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 19:49

I had a mishap whilst parking my bicycle this morning and managed to discharge the contents of my bag onto the ground in the car park, right next to the barrier where the cars exit. About 20 minutes later I realized, to my horror, that my CP1 was missing!

I hurried back and found it in the car park. I'm pretty sure it had been run-over. It was lying in the exit lane. It doesn't seem at all perturbed and has only a couple of new scratches.

I was so relieved. It's the same pen I managed to put through the washing machine a few weeks ago with no ill-effects. That thing is built to last.
Pastafari

#14 Gehaha

Gehaha

Summum jus, summa injuria!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:58

Hello,

thanks for the comparing picture.

I don't like C/C pens. But the whole
CP1 series is TOO beautiful - I can't resist.

The nibs are quite simple "Safari" nibs, but anyway.
The grip doesn't hurt, but it's a rather slim pen.

I'm using these pens since they did show up - they last!
The refills of the ballpoints are "longlife".

Mechanics and surfaces are very durable.

And they are real understated BEAUTIES - for my taste. wub.gif

Regards,
Anna
I'm not a native speaker of the english language. My apologies in advance when I'm causing trouble by bad grammar, wrong vocabulary, misspelling - friendly correction always welcome!

"...I still believe that people are really good at heart."
Anne Frank, "Diary" (14 years old)

#15 Fmaster

Fmaster

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 May 2013 - 18:50

Hi i'm kinda new here and well i just bought LAMY CP1 (Black EF nib) two days ago and i'm having a problem with it.

Compared to the other Fountain pens i've got this one is not smooth as the others and the ink flow doesn't stand good while writing fast ! and i have to kinda "push" the pen in order to have the ink on the paper which is really something wired compared to my other pens and really irritates me , i'm not sure if it's the feed or the Nib.

can i fix it by changing the nib or all the other CP1s are like that ?

Thank you...

#16 doggonecarl

doggonecarl

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,002 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 May 2013 - 19:08

Hi i'm kinda new here and well i just bought LAMY CP1 (Black EF nib) two days ago and i'm having a problem with it.

Compared to the other Fountain pens i've got this one is not smooth as the others and the ink flow doesn't stand good while writing fast ! and i have to kinda "push" the pen in order to have the ink on the paper which is really something wired compared to my other pens and really irritates me , i'm not sure if it's the feed or the Nib.

can i fix it by changing the nib or all the other CP1s are like that ?

Thank you...

It could be a couple things. Did you flush out the pen with water before using it?

Are you using a Lamy cartridge? When I got my CP1, I used the cartridge that came with the pen and had the same problem you've described. Ink flow has much improved using the converter and other inks, such as Noodler's. I have Sailor Blue-Black in it now and it works wonderfully.

Sponsored Content

|