Esterbrook 646 nib?

dakosquash

Hello everyone. I have been looking all over for some time for the 646 esterbrook nib that someone i know uses to great effect, but I have not seen it anywhere. Does anyone know anything about this nib, or more importantly, a good place to find esterbrook nibs besides ebay? Thank you in advance.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Penariffic

• EventHorizon

• dakosquash

• Toulouse

To my knowledge which is fair and getting better, Esterbrook always used four digits in thier nib numbering system.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"

US science fiction novelist & scholar (1920 - 1992)

There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man--with human flesh.

Frank Herbert, Dune

US science fiction novelist (1920 - 1986)

My Pens on Flikr

Must be a dip pen point .. they're 3-digit numbers.

Todd

The purpose of life is to discover your gift. The meaning of life is to give it away. D. Viscott

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

To my knowledge which is fair and getting better, Esterbrook always used four digits in thier nib numbering system.

That would be true for Fountain pen points but not Dip Pen points which typically used 3 digits. However,my knowledge of Esterbrook dip pens is vast and I have never heard of a 646.

Hello everyone. I have been looking all over for some time for the 646 esterbrook nib that someone i know uses to great effect, but I have not seen it anywhere. Does anyone know anything about this nib, or more importantly, a good place to find esterbrook nibs besides ebay? Thank you in advance.

I collect Esterbrook Dip pens and sadly I have never heard of a 646. Perhaps if you could describe the nib, such as the point, the shape, whether or not the gravity well has a special shape.

I sell Esterbrook Dip Pens, if you are interested my site is: http://www.whiteapplemultimedia.com/vintagenibs.html and visit the sale gallery.

-Penariffic

I collect Esterbrook Dip pens and sadly I have never heard of a 646. Perhaps if you could describe the nib, such as the point, the shape, whether or not the gravity well has a special shape.

I sell Esterbrook Dip Pens, if you are interested my site is: http://www.whiteapplemultimedia.com/vintagenibs.html and visit the sale gallery.

-Penariffic

Penariffic,

I was looking for your site to refer the OP to. Glad you spoke up--I couldn't find it! (I'll book mark it this time.)

I can confirm that there is no Renew point of this number but for the dip pens, I'd only be guessing, I just accumulate them as they come in collections.

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

-Penariffic

Penariffic,

I was looking for your site to refer the OP to. Glad you spoke up--I couldn't find it! (I'll book mark it this time.)

I can confirm that there is no Renew point of this number but for the dip pens, I'd only be guessing, I just accumulate them as they come in collections.

Todd

Todd,

No problem. I was prepping for a convention all month and now that its over...its back to pens :D

Must be a dip pen point .. they're 3-digit numbers.

Todd

AAHHH, good point. I learned something today so the knowledge grows a little more :thumbup:

That said, I pulled out my Paul Hoban Esterbrook book and in the back section, which is a copy of an Esterbrrok catalog from 1939 there is a 646 nib listed. It's on page 9/10 of the reproduced catalog. It is an "Extra Firm Medium" with "Gray finish" (Gray is spelled as in the book).

Curiosity now peaked, I look through my odds and ends drawer and though it's not a Esterbrook, I do have a Hammett's/Kendale nib that looks mighty close to what is in the book.

Dakosquash,

If you what to give this one a shot, send me your address via PM and i'll put it in the mail.........one FPN'r to another.

Edited by EventHorizon

There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man--with human flesh.

Frank Herbert, Dune

My Pens on Flikr

AAHHH, good point. I learned something today so the knowledge grows a little more :thumbup:

That said, I pulled out my Paul Hoban Esterbrook book and in the back section, which is a copy of an Esterbrrok catalog from 1939 there is a 646 nib listed. It's on page 9/10 of the reproduced catalog. It is an "Extra Firm Medium" with "Gray finish" (Gray is spelled as in the book).

Curiosity now peaked, I look through my odds and ends drawer and though it's not a Esterbrook, I do have a Hammett's/Kendale nib that looks mighty close to what is in the book.

Dakosquash,

If you what to give this one a shot, send me your address via PM and i'll put it in the mail.........one FPN'r to another.

How cool is this! FPN is such a neat place, with everyone helping everyone. I love it! :clap1:

Edit - fixed quote...

Edited by Gerry

The purpose of life is to discover your gift. The meaning of life is to give it away. D. Viscott

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

Dakosquash,

How cool is this! FPN is such a neat place, with everyone helping everyone. I love it! :clap1:

Alright! :clap1: My curiosity is Peaked!! I have an Esterbrook #794 School Medium Extra Firm (previously called 'Modified Slant') I would imagine the 646 is a straight, long nib with a sharp point with no side cuts. In 1939, I would imagine that Esterbrook still hand ground the pen points.

I need to find a copy of that Pual Hoban book :eureka:

Here is one link plus E-Bay might be an option.

Frank Herbert, Dune

My Pens on Flikr

Thanks for the link. If you happen to know the ISBN number I might be able to find it for order. I haven't seen it available on Ebay.

Thanks for the link. If you happen to know the ISBN number I might be able to find it for order. I haven't seen it available on Ebay.

Bill's pens should have copies. I doubt Amazon cares about us.....

For a few dollars, you may want this also.

Todd

Edited by FarmBoy

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Bill's pens should have copies. I doubt Amazon cares about us.....

For a few dollars, you may want this also.

Todd

:crybaby: DEAR gawd, YES!!! I need those brochures!!! Too bad his screen shots were so small :(. It would be nice to know what was stamped on the nibs in 1948. It could really help me determine the exact year that production of dip pens stopped. I had always theorized 1947 as many of the "warranty" cards listed this year and the nibs were stamped "ESTERBROOK" at the bottom. Also interesting is that Esterbrook decided to remove the side cuts from the 048 Falcon Pen at that time. The nib with "ESTERBROOK" stamped at the top has the side cuts....But I can bore the lot of you with all this knowledge :embarrassed_smile:

hey everybody, thanks for the replies. the 646 is indeed a dip pen nib, sorry for not previously specifying. i know an artist that uses one for quick drawings. it supposedly holds a good amount of ink, doesn't spill, and has a great line variation. i have some 355s that i've been using but for some reason they're beginning to just drop the ink in huge splotches and spill everywhere. I wonder if this could also be an issue with the pen holder? btw, does anyone know of a place to find good dip pen holders. thanks in advance. event horizon, i may take you up on that offer, i'll send you a pm, thanks. anyway i'll keep this open if anyone else knows anything about the 646.

As this is more of a "Labor of Love" book, it's in a sense selfmade and therefore no ISBN number. It was published by BDH Productions in California if that helps, in 1992.

Frank Herbert, Dune

My Pens on Flikr

hey everybody, thanks for the replies. the 646 is indeed a dip pen nib, sorry for not previously specifying. i know an artist that uses one for quick drawings. it supposedly holds a good amount of ink, doesn't spill, and has a great line variation. i have some 355s that i've been using but for some reason they're beginning to just drop the ink in huge splotches and spill everywhere. I wonder if this could also be an issue with the pen holder? btw, does anyone know of a place to find good dip pen holders. thanks in advance. event horizon, i may take you up on that offer, i'll send you a pm, thanks. anyway i'll keep this open if anyone else knows anything about the 646.

I can tell you from experience that the reason the ink spills from the pen is 90% of the time because you are working on a flat surface, such as a desk or table. IN this position, gravity pulls all available ink to the paper, and thus 'dumps' its load. You will need to work at an angle, like maybe 30 - 60 degrees. This way, surface tension pulls the ink through the gravity well and along the slit. It provides the smoothest method for using dip pens. Also, the 355 Art & Drafting pen is made of extremely thin steel. Therefore, you must use a very slight pressure when using it.

5% of the time, its because the nib still has its factory coat of varnish on the pen. This varnish protects the pen from rust during storage. When ink is placed on it, it slips like oil and water. The coating must be removed prior to use. There are 3 methods to do this:

a) Use dish soap and warm water. Wash repeatedly. Time consuming, but maintains original finish.

B) Use Windex or any Ammonia Based-cleaner. Again you may have to do this more than once. Is quicker, but smells and too much skin contact can cause irritation.

c) Use a lighter, candle, match to burn off the varnish. With the 355 you needn't do this very long. Maybe a second or two. This is the fastest method, BUT will ruin and discolor the finish.

The remaining 5% of the time spillage of ink occurs is due to pure accident and or too much ink on the pen. Be sure to wipe away excess ink into the Ink into the ink well.

As for pen holders, I would say ebay for vintage holders and www.dick-blick.com for modern holders.

-Penariffic

thank you very much for this information. the 355s i have definitely need to have the coating removed. i didn't even think about that but I can tell just by looking now. aside from the ink spilling most of the time it wasn't holding any in the first place. Thank you for this information. I will continue to collect more nibs and see which ones work for me.

by the way, while i'm at it, does anyone happen to know of a nib, esterbrook or not, that is good for drawing and fast sketching. any nib that holds ink well/a good amount of it, and has a very fine line that can vary to be broad. i am happy that i found this forum and you all have been greatly helpful so far. thank you in advance.

by the way, while i'm at it, does anyone happen to know of a nib, esterbrook or not, that is good for drawing and fast sketching. any nib that holds ink well/a good amount of it, and has a very fine line that can vary to be broad. i am happy that i found this forum and you all have been greatly helpful so far. thank you in advance.

I can help in this area. I am a free-lance illustrator and I use Vintage nibs in my work.

The best pens for drawing/sketching (in my opinion) are the following, in the order of best to excellent:

1. Joseph Gillott's #303 "Victoria Pen"

3. Joseph Gillott's #351 School Pen

4. Spencerian #1 Ivision Phinney & Co

5. Esterbrook #128 Extra Fine Elastic Pen or Esterbrook's #956 Radio pen (same pen, just silvered.)

6. Hunt #21 Companion or Hunt's #55 Scholar pen (they are basically the same.)

7. Esterbrook #556 School medium Firm.

8. Esterbrook #761 Natural Slant or School Medium Firm.

9. Esterbrook #1000 Free Hand or School or School Fine Firm.

10 Any company's Falcon pen.

Charles Schultz used an Esterbrook Radio pen #914 which is the silvered version of the Esterbrook Bank Pen #14. Personally its great for cartooning, but not for doing consist fine lines.

I have used all 11 pens and have all but the first one available for sale.

Let me know if your interested and or if you have any questions. Feel free to note me as well.

-penariffic