Time to buy a Hero...

1cockycop

I was reading some threads about Hero pens, and have decided to purchase one. I am looking for some recommendations. This will be the criteria...

* Everyday usage...

* Rides easily in a pocket...

* Comes with a converter...

* Would be nice if it falls under $50...

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1cockycop

• RLTodd

• richardandtracy

• davidw

Top Posters In This Topic

I was reading some threads about Hero pens, and have decided to purchase one. I am looking for some recommendations. This will be the criteria...

* Everyday usage...

If you are coming to the Raleigh Show, I will have some 616s for sale at a nice price..

They are great writing pens and IMO the best of the Parker 51 clones...

I would LOVE to attend the Raleigh show, but my family will be on vacation at Surfside Beach that week. I will check out the 616 though...

* Everyday usage...

If you are coming to the Raleigh Show, I will have some 616s for sale at a nice price..

They are great writing pens and IMO the best of the Parker 51 clones...

I have the following:

616-regular

All are good pens, not the smoothest writers but good pens. Personally, I enjoy the hooded Hero pens as I'm a huge fan of fine lines. The 100 is a little heavier in the pocket than the others.

I'm waiting to try the 616-jumbo pens ASAP.

I have a 100 Flighter,

a 616 Jumbo Maroon

a 329 old style Green

a 330 black (damaged, bought out of the 3/$10 bin at the Dallas pen Show last fall.

All are great writers, except the damaged 330, which is probably why the previous owner dumped it. I use them all regularly, except the 330, and love them all. They, my Danitrios (2 Classics, a Tac Carry II, and an OEM black lacquer unnamed) and my Pilot 78Gs are my most used pens.

Donnie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

For 50 dollars you can own many, many, Heros. isellpens.com has the largest selection I know of, and I have had multiple friendly, timely interactions with them. (Usual disclaimer of non-affiliation.)

Personally I have found very little difference in the nibs of good 616's vs. 100's. That said, 100's do have nice fit and finish and quality control.

If the 616 does pique your interest PM me...I may have a few brand new ones lying around that could use a better home for a decent price.

G'luck.

I have a pot load of Heros, they are all great for what they cost. Most of mine are the less expensive, 616, 329, 330, 332. They are workhorses. I'm not afraid to carry to class, town, or to try any type of fountain pen ink in them. Stepping up a bit in price the nibs on the 110 are smoother than the previous... but I don't find the previous scratchy, just noisier. Anyway, the 110 has a really! nice nib and costs just a couple bucks more than the others.

Another step up I have 200A, 800 and a 100. All nice pens, smooth writers. The 800 has a Med nib and is a Parker 45 clone. The 100 is Parker "51"-61 clone, some people love the 100, others think the 616 is almost as good and less money. I'm happy with my 100, but I'm happy with my 616s too. The 100 IS a bit smoother.

I really like the 200A. It has a regular nib, vs the hooded, is a very smooth writer and a bit cheaper to buy than the 100. I think the 200A is a very good value .

You will find Reviews on all these Heros, pictures and all, in the Pen Review section. For your $50, you can try several.

I am another big fan of the 616s - I now have four and they are all good. One is my favorite because it's a little wetter a nib, more like the real P51 experience. The regular nibs are a bit on the dry side but have even, good flow.

I want to try a 200A sometime SallyLyn, I really like the styling. They look like nice solid pens, nicely evoking the P75.

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

I bought two x 616s ,.. they are great value for money. Looks just like P51.

I also have a 329,.. but prefer the 616.

I have six 616's, and my eldest daughter has a 616 & an old style 330, while my wife has two 616's and my youngest daughter has a single 616.

I really like the 616's, and often carry an un-inked one to fiddle with when I'm doing nothing else. They are not first quality pens, but they are nice. I got my pack of 10 616's from Speerbob for US$50 (just before he packed up for a few months).

My daughter's old style 330 has a slightly feeble clip, the new style (without the Star Trek style hood insert) have a better clip. Otherwise the pen is nice, and I couldn't say anything against it. I got it for her from www.cutepens.com for US$12.95 including worldwide postage. Can't complain there - apart from the fact that ten Hero 330's from Speerbob takes the price down to about $4.50 each.

Anyway, have fun with yours.

Regards

Richard.

* Everyday usage...

Sounds like one of the 200 series would fit. I think they use the Parker/Aurora cartridge. All metal so they should stand the abuse. I think they go for under $30 these days over at isellpens.

YMMV

For $50, you could get a handful of 329s and 240s from isellpens (I am very pleased with Todd's business, btw -- with all the usual disclaimers).

The 240 has a weird nib, but for seven bucks... and it writes great! These pens really warp the curve, if you know what I mean. So cheap and yet... so smooth! Such good writers!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

* Everyday usage...

most of the above metioned heros don't come with a removable corverter. maybe the hero 2019 series and 200 will appeal to you?????!!!!! easy clips and removable converters!!

you can get them at... of course, isellpen.com (non-aff.)

ps. did i mention 14k nib? ;)

Edited by lovemy51

my advice is to not get carried away with the Hero's; I know it's easy to because there are so many choices.

Yes, they are really cheap pens, with more reliability than most of the other chinese cheap pens, but you're still getting what you pay for. The minute you start buying multiple Hero pens (unless you want a large quanitity of pens, eg to give away), you have spent enough money that could have landed you, instead, with a nice pen. So, if you want an inexpensive pen, buy one or two Hero's. But if you want a nice pen, skip the Hero's and look at some of the used stuff that tears through the marketplace here. The marketplace is the REAL best-bang-for-your-buck, in my opinion.

Click for Ink Scans!!

WTB: (Blemished OK)

CdA Dunas // Stipulas! (esp w/ Titanio nib) // Edison Pearl