The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Jinhao Dragon's Descendant in Pewter

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 secretasianman

secretasianman

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:18

The Dragon's Descendant in Pewter is a big and heavy, shiny hunk of metal - which is exactly what I was ordering. There is nothing subtle about this pen.

It is packaged in a wooden box with a bamboo scroll inside. Writing of some sort is engraved everywhere - on the outside of the box, under the lid, on the pen, on the scroll. It's quite the marketing spectacle. I wish I could read it, but alas, as an ABC, I didn't keep up very well with my written Chinese.

Nib:
Let's cut to the chase. There's no sense in buying a pen that doesn't write. The Jinhao does so very well. It laid a wet, broad stroke as soon as I inked it and wiped off the excess. The nib is smooth, however I noticed some skipping early on, which became exacerbated as the converter dropped to about half filled. I initially chalked it up to my hand trying to find the sweet spot, but I rinsed the nib to change colors and refilled it. The pen seems to work fine now. I inked it with Noodler's Air-Corps Blue-Black, and wrote a small sample. You will notice a slight amount of line variation.

Ink:
This thing is an ink guzzler. I had it filled about three quaters of the way initially, but after 1 days worth of playing around, I was already close to 1 half filled. If I ever took it to class, I would probably go through an entire converter within 2 days.

Value:
Being an undergraduate student, I value the utility of a pen most. This pen has a nice nib, but because of its weight, "bling" quality, and its propensity to use ink so quickly, it scores low on that characteristic. This will probably serve me as a desk pen or a signature pen - worth the $30 I paid for it, but mostly because it was birthday money and thus, "free".

Attached Images

• IMG_0898A.jpg

Edited by secretasianman, 01 June 2008 - 05:18.

Sponsored Content

#2 zorroflores

zorroflores

Zorroflores

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 21:23

Pics:

Edited by zorroflores, 01 June 2008 - 21:24.

#3 sptfr43

sptfr43

zim

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 22:15

curiously that looks like the same dragon that old griz puts on his custom pens.

#4 Songwind

Songwind

Pelikonvert

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 23:05

It's a pretty traditional representation of the celestial dragon.

It's about the same as the painting on which my website icon is based.
Posted Image Dragonsept Arts and Publishing - Free and open culture
My Public Key: F1BC60E6
"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind." — Rudyard Kipling
"In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act." — George Orwell

Sponsored Content

|