The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Advocate Ebonite FP from India

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 antoniosz

antoniosz

ET IN ARCADIA EGO

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 02:39

I got two of the Advocate pens sold by Hari. I received them very quickly (Within less than two weeks).

First impressions - VERY LARGE smile.gif Just over 6" closed and about 7.5" posted (why would you post this?). In the photo below you can see them next to a Parker Duofold Centennial.
I like the black most - plain - stainless (I hope) clip - no embellishments. THe red/black ebonite is nice also but I would have prefered a more red red...
The surface of the black pen reminds me of the Densho Raw Ebonite. Some may not like it but you can polish it further. The red/black had some very minor surface defects that are fully justified by the price.
The original iridium tipped nib is smooth and realtively stiff similar to those found on the Walities. Solid fine line. One fill would last for ever smile.gif

Anyway I could not be satisfied with no flex so I transplanted a semiflex 14K Belmond #8 nib. The results below smile.gif The nib is slightly smaller that the original - I should look for an even larger one. Overall - I like them smile.gif

Sponsored Content

#2 langere

langere

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2008 - 03:52

How interesting! I know nothing about pens from India, so this information is very welcome. I wonder if at some point we can get Indian pens in the U.S....

Thanks for the review!

Erick

Currently in Rotation: 

Leonardo Officina Italiana Momento Zero "F" nib running J. Herbin 1670 Rouge Hematite

Guider Mini "EF" nib running Diamine Poppy Red

Moonman M6 "F" nib running Visconti Black

Opus 88 Fantasia "F" nib running J. Herbin 1670 Rouge Hematite

Montegrappa NeroUno Duetto running PR Plum

#3 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,616 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2008 - 06:38

Thanks for reviewing the Advocate. I wish I had access to such nice flex nibs, I too would have liked to fit those nibs on my Advocates. Even the smaller #8 nib suits the pen well IMHO.

QUOTE(langere @ Jun 1 2008, 09:22 AM) View Post
I wonder if at some point we can get Indian pens in the U.S....

Erik, I will be having some Advocates and other Indian pens for sale on the marketplace very soon.

Regards,
Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#4 fatehbajwa

fatehbajwa

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:16

As a connected question.............are there any nibs available along with the sections that can simply replace the original nib and section of the Advocate?
Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom - George S Patton
Follow me on Twitter

#5 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,616 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:24

QUOTE(fatehbajwa @ Jun 1 2008, 12:46 PM) View Post
As a connected question.............are there any nibs available along with the sections that can simply replace the original nib and section of the Advocate?

Since the pens are handmade and have piece to piece variation, I have found that the sections do not always interchange. Spare nibs are available on order, these will have to be fitted after removing the existing one from the section. Pls contact me backchannel for more info...

Regards,
Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Sponsored Content

|